• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Control file size - how ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

While making my first doodad, I had to remake a part completely and therefore I imported the same geoset I used before, the one I had to remake and deleted the doubled parts of the new and the old one.
I couldn't use the old one ( CnP), since I trashed the UV Mapping.

However, after importing the new geoset and deleting everything doubled as well from the original geoset as well as from the imported one, I noticed the file size doubled.
( Does the action 'Uncouple' in UV Mapping increases file size ? I used that, too, before checking the file size)

It is not logical to me why it would.

I had originally three geosets, now I have four. Two of these new geosets are parts of one old geoset.

Does only having an additional geoset already increases file size THAT much, no matter about the count of vertices ( these points of the geosets you can move) ?

How do I efficiently deal with this ? Remaking the model again, form scratch ? What do I have to look at regarding file size ?
I only imported the geoset because I did not want to remake it from scratch.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Yes, I tried it, but it 'only' reduced it by 1 KB..

Could it be the Uncouple action ? Uncouple splits a geoset into its smallest parts, I could imagine that heavily increases file size.

Does Collapse influences file size, by the way ?

The things that Gives a model huge amount of filesize, are usually when you have huge amount of extra unwanted polys that "stack" together (If ALOT, a few of extra doesnt hurt)

And, Unwanted Bones and Animation. Having alot of Geoset itself won't increase much filesize.

And, Uncouple Increase the filesize abit, (It will add a couple Vertex)

Scratch made model are sometimes more lesser filesize because it has lesser junk that blizzard give them (Some in Node Manager) as it start with something clean.

Btw, pretty sure not the case here, but, Majority of the Filesize usually goes to animation, A Super High Quality Model (WOW model for example) filesize are HUGE mainly because of the High Poly AND the super amount of frames in animaton.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Oh, I am sorry, it is the Demonic Firepot I uploaded, at the moment the heavy size version.
Thanks!

Uncouple is an UV Mapping option to .. uncouple the selected parts. Triangles connected will be split into separate triangles ( reversal to what Collapse does and similar to I think it is called Weld)

In general, should I not use Uncouple for UV Mapping ? It seems a great way to make UV Mapping a lot easier.

Level 22
Uncouple actually multiplies the number of vertices, so it's normal that filesize increases.
The opposite of Uncouple is Weld, which merge vertices into one and then reduce filesize.
Collapse has no impact on filesize since it just put the selected vertices at the exact same position, but there are still several vertices actually.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

But is Uncouple recommended or should one better avoid using it ?
I often have problems with UV Mapping the default ones.

Thanks! I thought Collapse would merge two vertices, good to have that clarified

Level 22
Well, you should use it if you need it...

Using Uncouple in the UV interface allows you to put a different texture coordinate on the different faces of a same vertice.
But the mdx model format is made in such a way that it actually duplicates the vertice because one vertice can have only one texture coordinates and one normal.

If your uncoupled vertices have the same position, the same texture coordinates and the same normal, then it's useless and you should better weld them.

Status
Not open for further replies.