• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Continuous Permanent Buff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi,

I would like to ask help on how to maintain the buff effect?

Let me clarify, I know certain buff effects stays on especially if they are aura types. However buff effects that disappears after showing up its animation like "ITEM ILLUSION" won't permanently stay. It would just show up once the buff has been placed then it won't repeat its animation although the unit is still under the effect.

I need to have its animation repeat overtime unless the buff is over. How do I do it? In relation to this, is it possible to create my own buff animation? Is the logic behind it still the same as creating a unit model? Or does it require bunch of triggers?

Thanks

Level 3
How?

If I understand it correctly, I have the make the buff work like an animation, and it can be achieved through trigger or buff editor through animation tags?

I'm basing off my skill with the brilliance aura. While the enemy units are within AoE will have their mana degeneration causing them to lose mana overtime. I'm using the effect of "ITEM ILLUSION", but the animation would only display when the enemy was introduced to it, after that the animation would no longer reappear.

I really need your help. A template would be very helpful

Level 25
It works like this:
Each model has a set of animations - a model can look like a unit (e.g. footman), a missile (e.g. Archmage's firebolt auto-attack) or an effect (e.g. explosion like flamestrike).

Now an "effect" model can have either
- Birth, stand, death animations, where stand animation is looping - a model with these animations is used mostly for buffs/effects that last for infinitely/durations that differ any time.
- stand animation only, which does not loop (in this case you see the model as in having no animations to choose from)
- The above may not be the case for custom models made by players, the above is observation on how blizzard made their models (there may be exceptions to this, though I can't think of any atm).

So I think you will need to add the effect through triggers or create a custom effect based off the one you want and set stand animation to loop.

If you want to do it through triggers, the trigger below should suffice:
  • Aura
    • Events
      • Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching (((Matching unit) has buff YOUR_BUFF_HERE) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of (Picked unit) using Abilities\Spells\Items\AIil\AIilTarget.mdl
          • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
The "Abilities\Spells\Items\AIil\AIilTarget.mdl" is a path to the item illusion effect model.

Level 3
Thanks!

I see, so there's no way around except by doing this on a trigger?
I actually have almost identical trigger that I had created but I used 2 triggers. First trigger is to check if a unit enters w/in the AoE, then it would activate the 2nd trigger w/c is to show the animation every X seconds.

I've been looking for custom effect animation models but I can't seem to find one best suited for the effect that I want. I've been googling a couple of days now so I can just download the animation model and import it on the map so I can just use the buff/effect editor. I may haven't looked hard enough but do you have any other sites to recommend that I can download? I have checked here in hiveworkshop but what I usually found are spells. There are some who were modeled as an effect but I can't seem to find the animation that I need.

Thanks!

Level 3
MPQ Editor?

There is a way around: modify the model of the thing you want to loop just as auras does. Import, and use.

That's what I'm thinking as well... but how?

So I need to use an MPQ editor so I can edit the model, right?
Then add birth, stand, birth animation on it OR just simply make the stand animation to loop?

Or is it much easier to download an aura model, then edit it on object editor then use the edited model on the buff editor? <<< let me try this...

... just did, but the model can't just be edited with the unit editor on Warcraft Editor

Last edited:
Level 20
Use Magos Model Editor, it's the best you'll find around.

Basically open a continuos buff model (Aura) (from War3 MPQ files) and check how it's made/configured. Then open the model you want, and configure it the same way the aura is.

After that save, import, and use.

(This is a really "dumb" explanation. Look for modeling tutorials)

Level 3
So after all

Seems like the best way here is to really configure and edit the model.

Thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.