• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Contest: Autolot Games needs some animated models!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First WIP on the body.

Crits plz

attachment.php

T.

Attachments

• sss01.JPG
    sss01.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 504
Level 3
James Silver-wolf said:
What, x y z facing are you using? For example, Warcraft's .mdx is z up, x forward and Milkshape .ms3d uses z up, y forward. Which one are you using for your game?

Don't worry about this, we'll make the model face the proper direction once we import it to our game editor. Just make sure the model can be properly exported to .fbx

Level 3
HammerFist132 said:
Sry I cannot find version for 3dsmax 2009, and does we have to do with custom bones for animations or we can use human skeleton for creating more realistic animations. Also where we can find viewer for fdx models.

Did you check it well? Check these links, there you can find the fbx exporter for the 2009 version.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=11259183
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=13091402

This one is shaping up really good Taylor_Mouse!

Level 3
Taylor_Mouse said:
in the first post, it clearly states, texture must be 1024x1024 at the least, does that not mean it has to be textured?

can we get a clear decission on this, plz?

What we meant with the rules is that if someone in not skilled in texturing, even textures are not perfect then our gfx would rework them to improve its quality.

This doesn't mean textures are not to be included or that aren't taken into account to decide the winner. We wi'll take into account both the model, the animations and the textures.

Hope this helps to clarify the issue =)

Here are some more of my WIPs

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think it is time for the uv unwrapping :wink:

T.
Pretty Cool, but the eyes look Weird
Edit:
Forgot to mention that its really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really... Awesome , good job

Last edited:
Unwrapping the model, it is a darn time-consuming job, if you wanna do it right.
For the armor alone, I have set up a 1024x1024 texture, jsut to be sure to have all the details in there.

Btw, is it possible to get the closest position of the camera to the model in game, so I can make sure I don't loose too much time on texture parts that are nearly visible ?

And maybe the height of the average model in game so I can scale it accordingly?

One more question, for the textures, what is "too" much ?

T.

i came here cos it mentioned money. then i quickly flipped my table and gave up cos i saw taylor_mouse's wip. they look really good. its not like my recognition means anything but great job with it. looks like clean and structured mesh. is there a wireframe overlay picture somewhere?

addressing the OP: mainly questions about your game dev

few things i gotta ask, though. is it really necessary for it to be that many polys? i mean, judging by the screenshot shown, and from the screen space taken up by the character models, it seems almost as if the models could get away with wc3 poly count. i dont know if there is any other screenshots. i couldnt find any others.

also. you guys said that you wont be using normals or specular for the animated models. does that mean you wont be using normals and etc for the environ as well? because right now, it looks like your enviroment could really use some normals. characters are going to have 4k polys and it looks like taylor_mouse has put enough mesh details to not need a normal. but the environ is not high poly. and hence why i am emphasising the need for normals. is it an engine specific problem/limitation? cos to be terribly honest, those screenshots doesnt look too enticing. i know its like alpha stage right now. but you do need something that represents the overall mood of the game. its not so much of a problem with david lopez's area work since it is structured and has good mesh and distinct texture. but that's because it is unlit.

also curious as to what engine is being used.

Level 3
Taylor_Mouse said:
Btw, is it possible to get the closest position of the camera to the model in game, so I can make sure I don't loose too much time on texture parts that are nearly visible ?

You can take this screenshot or this one from Baldur's Gate 2 as an example of the farthest camera distance.
For the closest one, check this image from Titan Quest.

Taylor_Mouse said:
And maybe the height of the average model in game so I can scale it accordingly?

For the height of the model, our editor preserves the same scale as 3dmax, so if a character is 180 units meaning 180cm., we will be able to scale it properly if necessary.

Taylor_Mouse said:
One more question, for the textures, what is "too" much ?

I suppose you refer the number of textures per se. With 2 or 3 should be enought. One for the skin and another for the dress, boots, etc. Maybe a third one for transparency purposes on the hair if you wish.

Level 3
Pyramidhe@d said:
few things i gotta ask, though. is it really necessary for it to be that many polys? i mean, judging by the screenshot shown, and from the screen space taken up by the character models, it seems almost as if the models could get away with wc3 poly count. i dont know if there is any other screenshots. i couldnt find any others.

There will a some zoon in the player can use anytime, that's the main reason about the polycount asked for, besides the bit of level of realism we'd like to instill.

Pyramidhe@d said:
also. you guys said that you wont be using normals or specular for the animated models. does that mean you wont be using normals and etc for the environ as well? because right now, it looks like your enviroment could really use some normals. characters are going to have 4k polys and it looks like taylor_mouse has put enough mesh details to not need a normal. but the environ is not high poly. and hence why i am emphasising the need for normals. is it an engine specific problem/limitation? cos to be terribly honest, those screenshots doesnt look too enticing. i know its like alpha stage right now. but you do need something that represents the overall mood of the game. its not so much of a problem with david lopez's area work since it is structured and has good mesh and distinct texture. but that's because it is unlit.

I really appreciate your honesty, i deem constructive feedback from the community very important to us, so many thanks for expressing your opinion =)

Regarding light, there are some issues that we need to solve. We are discussing about the pros and cons of static or dinamic light and how implement it properly. We're doing some tests, but I don't think we can add light until the last stage of the game.

Pyramidhe@d said:
also curious as to what engine is being used.

We are using XNA 4.0

Level 3
Hi guys,

I just updated the guidelines regarding animations, meshes, skinning and bones.

Also just want to let you know that we moved from Greenlight's Concepts section to the Main Page, so now every vote counts so Valve can eventually publish our game on Steam. We'll deeply appreciate if you help us to climb to the top 50! =)

In the set of animations, it stands that there is only one attack, with sword, does that means the blade, coming out her left wrist piece is not necessary?

Secondly, the Spellcast, is it ok to do this with the left hand, since the artwork clearly shows some power usage on her left hand?

progress: finally finished the uv unwrapping, time to block out the colors

T

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Hi guys,

I just updated the guidelines regarding animations, meshes, skinning and bones.

Also just want to let you know that we moved from Greenlight's Concepts section to the Main Page, so now every vote counts so Valve can eventually publish our game on Steam. We'll deeply appreciate if you help us to climb to the top 50! =)

Well we should vote after a beta release or something. We should taste the game first.

Level 3
Taylor_Mouse said:
In the set of animations, it stands that there is only one attack, with sword, does that means the blade, coming out her left wrist piece is not necessary?

Secondly, the Spellcast, is it ok to do this with the left hand, since the artwork clearly shows some power usage on her left hand?

1. Yes, only the attack with the sword is necessary.
2. Yes, you can perform the spellcast animation with the left hand, it's correct.

Level 9
I know I'm a little late to the game but screw it I'll try my best to at least participate XD. I do have a request and a couple questions though.

Request: As stated earlier I am rather late to step up, and as mentioned in the other thread I've only recently learned how to scratch model, so I was wondering if it would be at all possible to extend the deadline, even by a little bit? If not, 'tis fine, I'll just have to bust my hump on this even more XD.

Questions: Regarding the animations, what type of animation should the "Spellcast" be? A sort of "Spell Throw" animation for a bolt-type attack? An animation more attuned for a cone effect spell? Or maybe a sort of "Nova" spell? Also, what type of spellcaster is she? Does she focus on frost? Fire? Dark? Light? Natural? Necromatic? Details plz! XD

And also, are we allowed to give our own "interpretation" of the texture/model? Like if we wanted to add or change something, would it be permitted? Just curious.

Level 3
Warchief_Grom said:
so I was wondering if it would be at all possible to extend the deadline, even by a little bit? If not, 'tis fine, I'll just have to bust my hump on this even more XD.

Please try to finish the model on the said deadline. If you couldn't finish but your work is at least on its half, then we could talk about extending the deadline.

Warchief_Grom said:
Questions: Regarding the animations, what type of animation should the "Spellcast" be? A sort of "Spell Throw" animation for a bolt-type attack? An animation more attuned for a cone effect spell? Or maybe a sort of "Nova" spell? Also, what type of spellcaster is she? Does she focus on frost? Fire? Dark? Light? Natural? Necromatic? Details plz! XD

It would be a frost spellcaster. If you make her spellcast to the front, the better.

Warchief_Grom said:
And also, are we allowed to give our own "interpretation" of the texture/model? Like if we wanted to add or change something, would it be permitted? Just curious.

Yes, go ahead if you please =)

HammerFist132 said:
to me her sword looks to simple, can we create some epic version, like dual blade or something like that?

Mmm... I'm not really sure if it will fit her properly. You can try it, of course.

Taylor_Mouse said:
First update on the texture

I won't give out my opinion most of the times to avoid being partial, and it's just that, only and opinion and nothing set in stone or a final judgement. Having said that, let me tell you it's nice stuff what I see here Taylor_Mouse!

Status
Not open for further replies.