• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Consult me about making map by WE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hi all! Yes! This is not a question-and-answer topic like others. In this topic, I need consultation of everyone about making maps by WE! Now, I have some troubles about... choosing the map-making program. I don't know what program is usually used by all map makers, easy to use, most popular, most suitable for war3, rarely has bugs, provides many functions, etc!? Oh! Now, there are too many programs to support to make maps... Ah! At present, like: XDP (X Design Pack), JNG (JassNewGen), even... basic WE of Blizzard, etc. That's all!
So, I don't have much to say in this topic! If something you don't understand or it is not enough, I will describe later. Thanks!
Please... Consult!
P.s: sorry about having some mistakes in grammar or vocabulary of English in this topic! I will solve them then

Last edited:
Level 30
I dont exactly know if you are asking for help or you areoffering help because if you are offering help, youare in the wrong sections then.

But anyway, X Design Pack is not even that known and the most used map creating program is JNGP or namely Jass New Gen Pack. It features alot of improvements than the original one, and some limitaions that had been removed which makes adavnce mapping more possible.

Level 5
No! Maybe I must tell you a lot
I have been a map maker for too long (about 5, 6 years) up to now. Yeh I have made many maps with many different types of programs (at first, I started with basic WE). But, finally I used XDP (because it has many applications). However, almost you guys here (and someone else), use JNG (maybe its exact name is JassNewGen v5d). Sometimes I use XDP to open some demos, they have bugs! And many, many, many problems, troubles,... have appeared (mainly is between XDP and JNG). Now, I wanna create a new map, but I am not sure what program I should use?! (I don't want to convert from XDP to JNG or backwards several times, it will sent many bugs! And then, my map will be broken/crashed... and I lose it, after that, I must start again from A to Z:vw_unimpressed:)

Last edited:
Level 30
It would be better to use the program that you are use to. If it's XDP then so be it but that major problem you'll face is that the site does not in any way as far as I know support this kind of mapping program.

On the other hand, if you will use JNGP, there are wide sources of information and tips about this here and users can help you. JNGP is also easy to use, if you know how to use the original WE then JNGP is no different with WE but with some new features such as destroying the WE's limit of 20k doodads. Now you can have as much doodads you want as far as I know in JNGP, it also has systems such as Text Colorizers, Jasshelper, offers new support to coding language (more into JASS, vJASS, and more). There are more and the latest version of JNGP is not actually 5d but 2.0 which can be found here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...en-pack-2-0-x-beta-recruiting-testing-233145/. JNGP makes everything easier and compiles up systems that would serve useful for the mappers.

Do not be deceive by the name, it is working much fine. Hope I helped!

Level 26
We do not have proper replacements that would cover most of the engine's functionalities. So you have to cope with extensions of the normal editor. We did discuss a bit about concepts for custom editors before though, if you are willing to code such tool yourself. Of course, depending on the project, the support of a central tool creating it differs, so maybe you would consider programming aversions/plugins tailored for your exact needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.