1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Concept Art Contest #5 - Mythology

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Pyritie, Oct 12, 2010.

1. enjoy

enjoy

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Well. I would like to judge to help out.

2. -Berz-

-Berz-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Now there are to many judges :p

3. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Well go ahead, i'll be out if Nurdl9 doesent show up, or wants me to do it. :D glad we can find people.

4. Dentothor

Dentothor

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ughh. If you need me to judge i can. And TWIF to be able to critique art, you have to be able to draw. Its like a baby who isnt toilet trained trying to toilet train another baby. It not a simple opinion. Its an experienced opinion. You, having no experience with art related matters shouldn't be saying how easy it is to judge a piece of art.

5. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well, now that more experienced people have decided to judge, TWIF is not needed. However, I would have accepted him, as one judge is better than none.

6. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To judge art you don't have to be an "artist". That's what makes art amazing, touching and beautiful. That's why it touches the hearts of so many people and makes art appealing.

It doesnt take a music composer to know a song is "good" or "complex" or "well done". You don't have to be a cook to know "good food". You don't have to build cars to know a good car, you dont need to write a book/be a writer to know what a good book is.

This so called "experienced" opinion is bullshit. You only have to know the "technical" aspects of art which ANYONE can be capable of, not the "PROCESS" of making art. So dont start that.

Sheesh, stop excluding Twif by saying this retarded and disgustingly selfish excuses, if you dont want him to be a judge, say the real reason, not an excuse.

I don't care if TWIF is a judge or not, I don't know this "problem with the concept art contest" I hear vaguely about, but seriously. Don't EVER say you need to be an artist or a "good" artist to know "good art" or to judge "good art".

7. enjoy

enjoy

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I agree with kimberly. You do NOT need to be able to draw yourself, to judge art properly.
    There have been many art critiques through time, who have not been artists themselves. I mean, a photographer could judge art aswell. They are not always able to draw, but they know where the light should hit and where the shading is and so on.
    I think TWIF would be a nice judge. Stop telling him what he can't do, just because he is not an artist.

8. stefanstan95

stefanstan95

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I agree with the ladies. ^^

9. 04gusigo

04gusigo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow the two ladies just pwned someone o_O
    I agree with them anyways.

10. shiiK

shiiK

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As much as I agree with your arguments, I'd also like to mention that in a concept art context, it's not only the aesthetics that matter (which anybody can appreciate and compare quality of), but also the concept in question. Like I've said before, I don't mind TWIF being a judge, but I would prefer one who is proven to have a more in-depth knowledge of certain aspects related to the contest. For instance, a mythologist would be better qualified to judge our interpretations. A professional concept artist would be better to judge whether this is good and useful concept art. A morphologist (biology) would be better to judge the realism of our concepts. Considering we don't have any of these (as far as I know, anyway), I think another concept artist is our best bet. The only thing we are all qualified to judge, is how original these concepts are, and how aesthetically pleasing they are. Bear in mind, though, that concept art is not designed to be aesthetically pleasing, but rather to be revealing. It's supposed to describe something visually, not to be awesome by itself.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  11. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    1. Yes I do.
    2. I'm not training anybody.
    3. do you know how many professional/casual art criticis there are out there who could never and can never do what the arists do? 90% and higher I'm going to guess. But I've heard higher numbers.

Morphology is, to over simplify, lingustics, and I've taken a brief collage class in it, based around dialect and introduction to basic phonetics. I also have a friend who is a linguist who knows over 8 languages..

so i don't think you mean morphology.

@shiik, we know.

@kim... thats what i was trying to say.

I belive dentothor is banned from involving himself in contests.. no?

I only offered myself up becaus you needed it peeps, nurdl9 hasnt confirmed, and i don't think dent can do that, forgive me if i am wrong. I dont really mind if i don't do it, but both kim and enjoy have a good and serious point.

12. shiiK

shiiK

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Morphology within biology, forgive me for not clarifying, concerns the size, shape, and structure of an organism or one of its parts. For instance, it includes the study of anatomy.

13. Lich Prince

Lich Prince

Resources:
    Resources:
    Two judges are needed TWIF, and neither one of the slots is taken yet.

14. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    :D i was just phoolin' on you shiik! :D

Enjoy said she wanted, so did dent and idk abou nurdl9.

15. shiiK

shiiK

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'd say go ahead and do your judging, TWIF, if you have the time and will anyway. Then let enjoy consider if she thinks it's fair. I don't know, that might not be necessary. But instead of waiting and discussing, just get to the job. I'm sure it'll be useful to somebody that you judge (I'd love to hear what you have to say about my concept). If Nudl9 shows up to judge, I can't see a problem with there being three judges.

16. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Then I'll start once i finish squash :D

17. Dentothor

Dentothor

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    thats not necessary to say at all. You know perfectly well that i cant participate. but i CAN judge. you saw me judge the last texturing contest, and im pretty sure you are saying that just to troll.

18. Pyramidhe@d

Pyramidhe@d

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    for instance, i dont make icons but i am an icon moderator. the same goes for enjoy as well. but we can moderate icons just fine

However, the issue remains that twif doesnt do art stuff. and this leads to the first point that he is not a suitable art judge material. i am sure he can prolly point out the good stuff like the shading makes sense and etc. but to be a real judge, you need a critical mind and that means twif will have to point out all the bad stuff as well. ESPECIALLY all the bad stuff. And to make sense on why it is bad, he would need to think of a way to remedy that, make a possible suggestion. unless it is something obvious like blurriness, i dont know how you could even begin to explain it unless you have some sort of art experience. a very clear evidence of that is if you look any resource section. take icon section for example. i cant even begin to count how many icons i rejected for sub-par quality which multiple people have rated and commented 4/5 or 5/5 or deserving dc.

but the real problem i think is credibility. none of us come with an official diploma saying "qualified to judge in concept contests" so the public opinion really relies on our image and what they know of us. what i just said in the previous paragraph really amounts to pile of cow pat. for all i know, twif can have an excellent qualities as an art judge and we are all idiots for thinking otherwise. but that possibility doesnt cross our mind because we havent seen anything from twif that relates him to art and because he is not an artsy guy. so the immediate response from everyone is "wtf does he know". this would prolly be the exact response i would get if i were to suddenly moderate the map section or if triggerhappy started moderating skins. now. take that kind of response and put it in a contest judging situation, where people spent their time and effort for a certain goal, to win. and how would that person react to a particularly bad/harsh score from, lets say, twif. the immediate thought will be "wtf does he know." followed by "this judging thing is flawed" followed by "screw these contests". because thats how people react. then, of course, is the drama poopstorm that prolly would follow.

i have my doubts but honestly speaking, give twif the judging because he volunteered for it. if he sucks at it, fine. no lasting harm and we wont just let him judge next time and if we act quickly, get another judge to re-judge the entry. it happened before for an icon contest before and it all went fine.

19. Dentothor

Dentothor

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    this.

20. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Actually dent, i honestly had no idea. Sorry, i belive i hurt yoru feelings, i sincerely apologise.

Thanks for being honest pyra.
    I'm gonna take this slow. gonna go very in depth on my thoughts about each one. hopefully i wont be seen as a non-art ignaranamus after this ^^

hell even if i'm not approved as a judge, i'll still do it anyway, just because all the drama makes me more determined.