• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Computer Addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Wow, there are so many options here.

• Chew your hands off
  • Crack your skull open with a warhammer
  • Hang yourself in barbed wire
  • Redecorate your motherboard's components
  • Piss off a guy with a chainsaw
  • Go into exile
  • Eat a deadly fungus

My #1 suggestion would however be to stop posting threads without any purpose - we all know it's addicting.
I mean seriously, can't you figure this out yourself?

If you can't then it won't help hearing it from someone else.
Quite frankly, if you can't - you have bigger problems than computer addiction.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Just set high standards for every game and program you use, if the game and/or program doesn't meet your standards just delete it and complain about it. After complaining go watch some TV.
It's what I do....

Went from 9+ hrs a day to 5+ hrs a day.

Level 17
Go outside.
It helps me get away from the computer.
I don't have friends, but I take random strolls in the nearby park.
It's a sad life, but it makes me happy.

Level 27
Go outside.
It helps me get away from the computer.
I don't have friends, but I take random strolls in the nearby park.
It's a sad life, but it makes me happy.

Well you're not alone like that...

The most rational way way you should do is use the placebo (aka persuading yourself) that you feel real bad after using computer longer than 3 hours.

Also, you can just set your monitor on fire if that won't help.

Level 20
Just find a hobby that you enjoy outside of technology/computers/games/tv.
Learn to play an instrument, go to a sports club, go to the library get some books, something with groups are great because you'll make friends and before you realise it you'll be out with them more than on your pc =)

Sounds cliche and stupid. But it's by far the best method.

Level 9
Sell your computer and buy a penguin.You will have more things to worry about.

Seriously,I think skycraft's suggestion has a point.Go out and play outdoor games.

Level 18
You can't face the addiction.

The cure can be a Girlfriend or your buddies.

But when your Girlfriend breaks up and your buddies forget you, you just fall back into comp addiction. And you know why.

Level 18
Hmm, so it really depends on who smokes...

When I'm high the only thing I have in mind is to go on my computer to shot some heads on CS or to overwhelm some noobies on Risk. Stonning makes me skillful.

Level 17
You can always go to the beach, or what Grey Nightmare said and go to a group and make some friends. It helps.

Oh yeah, I forgot. If you wanna get off the computer, than by a 360 and Reach.

* off @.
It's about getting out more, not resorting to more video gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 10
Computer addiction? Lies! It's an illusion! There is no such thing!!!

But seriously, start doing something else than wasting time in front of your computer.

DEF: Creating stupid threads like this one IS, in fact, wasting time in front of your computer, as fladdermasken stated. Go outside, take cooking classes, go scuba-diving in your bath tub. Anything would be more productive.

Level 9
Nah, I prefer meself having fun with my friends instead. Spend your homeworks and good life stuff, instead unnecessary wasting the time with starring on the screen or playing (mo**erf**king) boring games or looking (same here lol) bad videos (until the eyes explodes).

This post includes same thing as Watchman mentioned in the post above this, anyway.

Level 10
just do not use a clusterfuck of sites on the net. 2 Should be your maximum *Google and youtube not included* This way, you'll not spend so much time on the internet.
Now to decrease the time on your PC even more, just start doing some physical training. Go running, and give yourself a goal of building up nice looking muscles. That'll do it for a couple of months. When you've built up some leg muscles, believe me, you'll go jogging gladly, and your PC addiction will be removed. IF you're using photoshop, I suggest you train your drawing techniques with a pencil. Just do not spend your time on the PC more then needed. I, for myself, use Zbrush, Photoshop, Maya, The Internet, Flash, Games, etc. So i spend about 7 hours a day on the PC, an hour watching TV, an hour eating, and the rest doing everything else.
But, believe me; 3 hours is not a long time, and you do not need to de-stretch it. It's the 8 hours on the PC you need to be worried about. Just if it's 3 hours of Gaming, then you need to stop. Games aren't that healthy, and you do not learn anything from them. I, for myself, played games just to learn English much better and now, I speak it more fluently then my mother language.

Level 18
TV is the last advice I should give, it will just drain your brain out of your head and make it explodes.

As Ganon said, a nice alternative is physical training.

Level 30
^Goffterdom

TV is useful and at the same time resourceful for our needs, and it will not drain your brains out if your watching the real deal instead of those wasted junks you use just to pass time, second in hand and similar to the computer, TV CAN also be addictive too IF you still plan to watch dumbing nonsenses and disturbing shows.

and if physical training does not a free your cyber-trapped addiction, outdoor occasions is a must.

Level 12
Good advice Ganondorf, I remember when I wasted my time at computer, when it was not needed. I got great muscle, I am training for 2 years,I got musclebound biceps and triceps. What you say is right, I am just worried about my back, what if I spent all the years damaging my spine and I would be a invalid and wear a stick because I did not care about my spine, I did have back pain, but that's because I spent a day and more than 8 hours, obviously it affected my spine, I don't think my back is deformed but people tell me I got to see a doctor and to do physical exercises because I got a hump. Too bad It's my general source of information, because even when I did stop me from being 8 hours or more on computer, I do waste 2, 3 hours. I could see animals, if I wasn't in a city.

Level 2
Ask your mother to bring you rock climbing* and bring a hang glider and 20 water bombs along. After you reach the peak, launch off. Glide towards the sea and throw water bombs around randomly. When you are directly above the sea, take a deep breath and fold up your hang glider. Do NOT let go of your breath until after you resurface. Finally, using your hang glider as an oar, go back to the beach and head back home. Your mother should ban you from playing computer games and trash you badly, so after 2 days, ask your mother to bring you rock climbing again. If she reject, go yourself. This time, bring a huge kite, a a pair of scissors and a strappable surfboard along. Now, climb to the top of the mountain and tie the kite to yourself and strap on your surfboard. Fly your kite. Your kite should bring you up. Just pretend to surf and drift lazily across the sky. When you are bored, cut the string. Make sure you are above the water. You'll be so shocked you'll forget everything, so please bring a map to your house.

Q&A
Q: Why so dangerous?
A: So that you forget everything.
Q: But it's so risky!
A: It's a risk we have to take.
Q: But why?
A: So that you can be more productive. A lot more.

*Make sure it's on the tallest mountain.

Level 22
Wtf, training is a waste of time. Use as much time as possible in front of the PC unless you're actually trying to become some sports zombie or something completely unrelated to computers/technology or something that cannot benefit from computers in any way.

BUT, even if you are going to be some mindless zombie who either does something unimportant or runs around like a madman after a ball or something, then gaming is still good for you. It can greatly extend your life span (but I'm not going to explain the ridiculously advanced science behind this phenomena).

Edit: Oh, and Animalpower, yes, you will have to strap a stick to your invalid body.
:3?

Level 1
Get a friend and go jogging or cycling. Follow it up by eating together. Go home and wash up, meet up for a movie and than have dinner. Occupy computer time with other activities basically!

Level 7
Wow, guys. I have to admit, I'm disappointed as to how few people are actually taking this seriously. As clichē as it may sound, computer addiction can actually be quite detrimental to one's lifestyle. Anyways, on to the actual response:

Like a few people have said, find other things to do that will distract you from going onto the internet. Make sure these things or activities are actually away from your PC, otherwise you will be tempted to return to your habit. As for what exactly you could do, that's, more or less, actually up to you. You have your own tastes and interests, and so pursue a hobby or activity that entails these. A few simple and practical examples would be reading, playing a sport (not even professionally; just for fun, such as swimming), hanging out with friends, learning a musical instrument (this requires a lot of practice, and so would be useful in combating your problem) and so on and so forth.

But one of the most important things to keep in mind: Make sure whatever you do becomes a regular habit, otherwise you could lose interest and relapse.

Level 22
Just thought I'd drop a fun fact here. A study done in England among a huge group of epicly old people (>100 and still working) over 40% of them were overweight and just one of them did any form for sport. Just FYI.

Problem, anti-computer fgts? :3

Level 7
Just thought I'd drop a fun fact here. A study done in England among a huge group of epicly old people (>100 and still working) over 40% of them were overweight and just one of them did any form for sport. Just FYI.

Problem, anti-computer fgts? :3

812909-colbert_says_no_u_super.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.