• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Combat Style Poll for Campaign

What type of combat would you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hey everyone! I didn't know where to post this so I'll open it up here. Lemme explain the choices very quickly:

1) Dark Souls Style: Very much timing and skill based. with a few selections of combos varying between heavy and quick attacks, and add rolls to dodge or block to deflect the damage. Keeping an eye out on all the enemies around you would be very vital. This combat style is harder than the other and would require some practicing.

2) Assassin's Creed Style: In this style you can combo attacks on enemies and when you kill one you can start combo killing the others until you find some enemy with some counter attacks against your one shot kills. Or you can simply wait you enemy to attack you and simply counter him with a button to kill him instantly. This is more of an artistic combat style, without much practice, you watch the badassness of your own character.

I will add God of War style timed events in the game as well but they will be for special occasions.

Please do explain your opinions on your choices with details so we can discuss them further.

Level 19
I would not make that mistake, maybe I can find a middle ground between them. As you've suggested, DS style would be towards skill seeking players and with Warcraft's engine it'd be a lot harder to master the whole system. AC style seems more applicable to me right now, but with a little mix of DS style as well, just adding rolls and blocks and nothing more. What would be your opinion on this?

Any votes would be welcome too fellow Hivers! ^^

Level 2
Voted for AS style, not because I prefer it over DS, but because I have a feeling that DS style combat would be extremely awkward and clumsy in Warcraft III engine.

Level 6
Is your intention PVE or PVP?

Ever played Devil may cry 4? That found a great balance between neo's Trickster(darksouls), and Dante's brawler.(Assassins creed) And from what i'm reading that is basically what you're after. could be that i'm missing your point of suggesting a roguelike approach to the ladder nightelves hide and walk tactics. (in that case you should look up The Mark of the ninja

So how i would see it work in the warcraft engine. Every enemy minion hast a long cast animation wind-up. Much like Fel orc Warlock's Fireball Animation. with a fair amount of projectile distance. And the overall experience would be somewhat like the custom warcraft III Warlocks map Warlock 1.01 - Warcraft 3 Maps - Epic War.com like offensive skill sets where you could pop a fireball mid air to make it scatter into AoE etc. But unlike the warlock maps has the knock-back based on missing % health to kick you into lava. Another map i'd suggest to take a look it is the Fufu ninja map. Fufu United Ninja All-Stars 3.1 - Warcraft 3 Maps - Epic War.com With windwalk, shuriken toss, and dodge skill. It's as simple as a proof of concept to how i would see a trickster work.

Combo based attacks but when you get hit and as a result take damage the combocounter is reset. (selfbuff) Dodge(jump/roll/fly), block(shield, sword parry,) skills don't reset the combocounter but also don't at to it. And the unit deals 20+(X/X-1) damage on each attack.

Skillset:
Permanent Self buff: Fury (Combocounter).
It tracks the amount of hits you have done in succession when no instance of 5 damage or more is done on an enemy unit in the last 3s it starts losing counters automatically. 1charge per 4s. (would be the nicest to go back faster from 10 counter to 9 then it would take from 9 to 8. (but there's a formula possible here to make that happen) When your hero takes any instance of 5 damage or more it is reset to 1. Every counter increases Base damage by 5 damage.

Aura: Fear tactics:
Enemies in a 600 AoE from your hero. Are affected by a negative aura that start counting effective hits on them. Each unit that took damage in the last 2s get it's own counter the non affected units within 600 AoE can share the same counter up to that point. When a unit is no longer taking damage the debuff counter will lose 1 charge every 2nds. When the debuff counter gets back to 1 charge the unit is no longer negatively effected until he takes new damage. (easiest example would be -1armor per hit per counter per unit. )

Example
Hero hits Alfred (armor -1), Hero leaps forward and Hits Berta (armor -1) in the same 2s then the hero rotates and hits Alfred in the back (armor -2) Berta closes in on the Hero. Hero uses cleave attack hitting Both Alfred (armor -3) and Berta (Armor -2). Carl comes into the alley and body blocks Berta. Hero hits Carl (armor -1). Berta can't be attacked 2 x 2s pass (berta armor -1->Berta Armor -1 -> -0). Hero hits Alfred (armor -4). Alfred Berta Carl gang up on the hero and the hero uses cleave again. Alfred (Armor -5), Berta Armor-1, Carl Armor (-2). Alfred runs for his live to 650 Range from the hero. Alfred is no longer under the affect of fear(armor -5 -> -0

So you have very low cooldown spammable kills with very short effects.
Magic Immunity 0.01 duration 1s cooldown
Armor up +9999 armor 0.01 duration 1s cooldown (tanks an physical dmg source blocking it from dealing any more damage than 1. )
Enrage: add one additional Counter to Enrage 0.02 cast animation, 7s cooldown [i/]
Ministun: 0.01 duration 1s Cooldown (interupt spells or attacks)
leap/blink/windwalk 7s cooldown. (dodge projectiles)
Sword slash: Deals 3 x Base Damage (base damage is increased the Fury counters) And the -armor on enemies increase the raw damage received on the enemies end.
Cleave Attack: target in 350 AoE take 35% cleave damage

I just chose some random numbers to give an idea of how the system would look like. That you're trying to convey to us, or at least what i'm getting from it.

Level 19
Voted for AS style, not because I prefer it over DS, but because I have a feeling that DS style combat would be extremely awkward and clumsy in Warcraft III engine.

I agree to that!

Is your intention PVE or PVP?

It is purely for PVE Campaign.

Ever played Devil may cry 4? That found a great balance between neo's Trickster(darksouls), and Dante's brawler.(Assassins creed) And from what i'm reading that is basically what you're after. could be that i'm missing your point of suggesting a roguelike approach to the ladder nightelves hide and walk tactics. (in that case you should look up The Mark of the ninja

I'll check them all, I can use any inspiration or creative techniques!

So how i would see it work in the warcraft engine. Every enemy minion hast a long cast animation wind-up. Much like Fel orc Warlock's Fireball Animation. with a fair amount of projectile distance. And the overall experience would be somewhat like the custom warcraft III Warlocks map Warlock 1.01 - Warcraft 3 Maps - Epic War.com like offensive skill sets where you could pop a fireball mid air to make it scatter into AoE etc. But unlike the warlock maps has the knock-back based on missing % health to kick you into lava. Another map i'd suggest to take a look it is the Fufu ninja map. Fufu United Ninja All-Stars 3.1 - Warcraft 3 Maps - Epic War.com With windwalk, shuriken toss, and dodge skill. It's as simple as a proof of concept to how i would see a trickster work.

Combo based attacks but when you get hit and as a result take damage the combocounter is reset. (selfbuff) Dodge(jump/roll/fly), block(shield, sword parry,) skills don't reset the combocounter but also don't at to it. And the unit deals 20+(X/X-1) damage on each attack.

The best part about my campaign would be being simple. We don't have to deal with spells because it will be based on reality. Ofc there will be fantasy stuff but more like AC4 assassins doing impossible things, not like warlock mage stuff. The campaign would be about Roman Gladiators, so I'll need close quarter fights a lot. I'll write an AI behaviour for combat based on the unit's skills as well. Some will mindlessly charge the player and will give many openings for attacks but keep the player constantly on their feet. and some enemies will just test the player for any openings forcing the players to attack more oftenly and wth different approaches. I'll even try to add some finishing moves for combats if I can, such as jumping from a wall and then doing some artistic stuff :p As for what you have suggested, beginning enemies should have longer windup animations, so that the players can start calibrating to the style. But bosses or harder enemies should be faster and merciless. The system here would be a bit complicated which makes me scared a bit :p

Skillset:
Permanent Self buff: Fury (Combocounter).
It tracks the amount of hits you have done in succession when no instance of 5 damage or more is done on an enemy unit in the last 3s it starts losing counters automatically. 1charge per 4s. (would be the nicest to go back faster from 10 counter to 9 then it would take from 9 to 8. (but there's a formula possible here to make that happen) When your hero takes any instance of 5 damage or more it is reset to 1. Every counter increases Base damage by 5 damage.

Aura: Fear tactics:
Enemies in a 600 AoE from your hero. Are affected by a negative aura that start counting effective hits on them. Each unit that took damage in the last 2s get it's own counter the non affected units within 600 AoE can share the same counter up to that point. When a unit is no longer taking damage the debuff counter will lose 1 charge every 2nds. When the debuff counter gets back to 1 charge the unit is no longer negatively effected until he takes new damage. (easiest example would be -1armor per hit per counter per unit. )

This whole thing here is a great example, I didn't think of this combo counter in this way. More combo should mean something, and good thing is; you will be able to protect your combo from being broken by counterattacks(if AC style) or rolls/blocks(if DS style), or other hybrid stuff (if other style).

Magic Immunity 0.01 duration 1s cooldown

Hmm, so this'll remove any continuing spells on the player if any kills start happenning.

Armor up +9999 armor 0.01 duration 1s cooldown (tanks an physical dmg source blocking it from dealing any more damage than 1. )
Protects from damage during kills.

Enrage: add one additional Counter to Enrage 0.02 cast animation, 7s cooldown [i/]

Is this for a speed buff?

Ministun: 0.01 duration 1s Cooldown (interupt spells or attacks)

Good idea! I can use this for normal attacks as well. If our attacks could stagger the enemy unit, ministun him for faster detection.

leap/blink/windwalk 7s cooldown. (dodge projectiles)
Sword slash: Deals 3 x Base Damage (base damage is increased the Fury counters) And the -armor on enemies increase the raw damage received on the enemies end.
Cleave Attack: target in 350 AoE take 35% cleave damage

These can vary depending on map.

------------------------------------

Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer! I really appreciate it. I'll check your references and try to find a good mix of all combat styles. I don't want the campaign to be way too hard to grasp, or way too easy by spamming. There should be a middle ground!

ISL

ISL

Level 13
If I were to choose between Dark Souls combat system and the Assassin's Creed one... I'd go for the old God of War :D

The way that combat goes in that game is kind of a mixture between the two - Most of the time you attack with combos of either light or heavy attacks, occasionally dodging dangerous enemy attacks, blocking the ones you cannot dodge, and deflecting some of the enemy ranged attacks with the same timed block. At the same time, the game has its own finishing moves - the ones you mentioned about Assassin's Creed - when it comes to fighting weaker or weakened enemies, you can simply press the button and watch how your hero ends the enemy in a very spectacular way.

So you fight like in Dark Souls, but you also finish enemies like in Assassin's Creed.
Take the best features out of two and combine them with each other. :)

Level 6

Is this for a speed buff?

More like a wind-up skill that can be dropped in during a combo to increase the dmg output. It basically add another +1 to the Combocounter which in turn adds more damage to the unit's output and over time this can really add up if you manage to keep dodging long enough. (but most importantly it lets you reach the next break point faster)

Breakpoint. killing a 91 hp unit with 10 dmg is 9 attack but with 11 dmg it still takes 9 attack. But at 12 dmg it only takes 8 attacks. So the next breakpoint is at 12. (sure regen comes into the fray as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.