• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Strategy / Risk] Colonization: The Western Hemisphere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Have you ever played Sid Meier's Civilization or Sid Meier's Colonization?
Well, I'm bringing them to Warcraft III. It will be a mix of a turn-based system and Warcraft's real-time action.

My map is more similar to Colonization in its goals but Colonization itself is similar to Civilization so it'll look like I took concepts from both.

For example, cities, here called Settlements, will have a stockpile of food. Once it reaches 300, the population will grow, just like in Colonization. Production (also called hammers) will be provided through working tiles containing cattle and horses, but also through conversion of timber to lumber.
Production is added every "turn" to go toward projects such as Galleons or Trade Posts.

A turn is 30 seconds (or a year in-game).

Units can join settlements in order to work tiles (fully functional) and become professionals such as Weavers (0% finished). Each unit that is in a settlement consumes two food per turn.

You can name your settlements and most of the information about your cities are displayed using floating text. You can't see other player's floating text above their cities except for the names of the cities.

The goal of the game is to create a colony and declare independence from your mother country as quickly as possible, as in Colonization. There are five countries to play as: England, France, Spain, the Netherlands, and Portugal.

Here are some screenies with little commentaries:

guDpQ12.jpg

gKlllTA.jpg

J273mpE.jpg

9Qfyp7P.jpg

I know I have started several (OK... many) projects in the past and never finished them (but who hasn't, right?) It's usually because I accumulate too many problems large and small that hinder my motivation to finish them. This project is different. I have done quite a bit of work on it and find it fun to work on, despite all the tiny problems I come across. Yet, I have found solutions for all these problems and have not yet encountered a problem that I could not fix with a little thinking.

Anyways, I think this will turn out to be a polished finished product some day. If you would like to offer your neat skills then feel free. In fact, what I need is someone who knows how to make this presentation look cool. Because I don't know how to do that...

Cheers

~Derdan

Level 5
I absolutely loved playing colonization back when my ancient mac was functional.
Good luck with this and who knows, maybe I'll help once in a while.

Thanks! To be honest, I never really got into Colonization as much as Beyond the Sword. I just love the mods for the latter too much.

And thanks for saying you might be able to help. The more of those people I have the higher the chance I have of succeeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.