• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cold Fury

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This was my first completed map, it is a small melee map. There are mercenary camps to the north and south, but they've been captured by pandaren rouges. There are also extra gold mines to the east and west, but they're guarded by ice trolls and dragons that they tamed. A health fountain lies in the center of the map, but it's fiercely by trolls and dragons like the gold mines.

The primary tileset used in this map was the Northrend tileset. I modified the tileset to have the dark ice tile(Icecrown Glacier), and the grassy snow tile(Lordaeron Winter). This map was completely made by me and any map that is exactly the same or similar enough is a copy.

I would add a screenshot to the description, but I don't know how.

Keywords:
Ice, Northrend, Snow, First Map, Frost Dragon, Frost Troll
Contents

Cold Fury (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael - [Contact] Date: 2012/Jul/07 20:42:14 Comment: [Rejected] What's the skeleton warrior doing at the top left? Remove it, right now it shows up as a green camp. Add some item drop to every creep camp. The map is not symmetric, the...

M

Vengeancekael - [Contact]
Date: 2012/Jul/07 20:42:14

Comment: [Rejected]
What's the skeleton warrior doing at the top left? Remove it, right now it shows up as a green camp.
Add some item drop to every creep camp.
The map is not symmetric, the goldmines are closer to red and purple and the fountain's creeps are on the left side, spread them all around the fountain. Move the start location of the player on top of the creeps and put the creeps right in front of the mine.
Move the creeps at the mercenary camps to the front as well.
Red has the biggest starting point, while teal and purple have quite small ones and blue's is average.

Resource Moderation - Rules

Level 18
You have much to learn..
Well, I'm not such a good mapmaker, but you shall download other melee maps (or just take a look to the Blizzard's ones), then look and learn.
Terrain needs lot of improvements (you can't make a map with only one texure..),
Add more doodads, more creeps, trees (I don't think players got enought wood).
Then add pathing blockers too, and cover the room between the trees (for example on the high hrounds)

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Review

Firstly I have to say to z.ky that there is actaully 2 tiles used in this map. But indeed you should use more. And as you I would not make my first map with Northern tileset because there is so few tiles to be used and they look ugly together. I would suggest you to change tileset to Ashenvale, Barrens, Felwood, Icecrown Glacier, Village or Village Fall. You do not have to start a new map. In the top corner of the editor (right from "File" next to "Tools") is "Advanced". Press it and select "Modify Tileset" (the first one) and then select a new tileset and press "Ok".
For the trees I would say that remove them and use the Barrens Ones ( If you use Barrens which I would suggest ). Use the first ones mainly and after you have finished using them select "Barrens Canopy Tree" and fill the empty spaces in the forests. But so far I can see that those forest in the current map are too tiny and they are not balanced. So I suggest you to remove the cliff near starting locations and replace them with trees. You can check more detailed information how to use Barrens Trees nicely from my own map [Thread=216336]Dry Path[/THREAD] it shows you also how you should support the tileset with creeps and environment doodads which does not exist in your map. You need to add them also. And like I said use creeps to support tileset you need to replace creeps also for your map if you have followed my suggestions. Also your creeps does not have to have any single item drops. And we can see that they have about 66% chance to drop items which means they are unbalanced and won´t always drop an item. Use a single item drops for easy creeps and I do not use Item Tables myself at all.
I you want to get more information or help I would suggest you to check some tutorials [Thread=8204]Beginners Guide for Melee Map Making[/THREAD]

Overall your map lacks alot of things (tile type usage, single item drop, not enough trees, not enough creep camps...) with improvements that tutorial that I sent it can get approved.

Good Things
+ Symmethric Enough I Think
Bad Things
- Terrain Needs Improvements
- Not enough resources
- Not enough Creep Camps
- Unbalanced Itemdrops
- Does not have good doodads using
- Everything does not support Computer AI
- Empty
Check the tutorial link and also my map (it is not protected so you can open it) and make improvements to your map. You can also Private Message me if you want to discuss with me.

Level 2
Thanks for the review and link to the map making guide. I knew I had a lot to learn when I was making that map. I've downloaded some pretty complicated maps and was impressed by how different they were from the normal campaign the games comes with. I knew I had to start simple with a melee map if I ever wanted to make a really interesting map.

Level 2
Updated again. This time the Pandarens that drop items now drop one out of five possible items. The terrain tiles are a lot more varied than the first version of my map.

No thanks, please don't send me an improved version. I think I fixed pretty much everything except a few details. Can you please tell me what those details are instead.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Sure.

Do not use item tables. Prefer using [Use Custom Item Table]->[New Set]->[New Item]->[Random]

Also for the terrrain, do not take a big brush and press once a dirt tile. Check my map [Thread=208044]Crystal Track[/THREAD]'s image 1. You can see the starting location. There is a line of dirt terrain that has few kind of tiles. Try to get something similar.

Also those 2 gold mines (right and left) there is no space to build a townhall or something intothere. Edit the cliff and leave 1/3 (the are near the middle of the map) of the cliff in there. So players can build a townhall into there. Also I would replace merchants with goldmines and remove the waygates. And replace the goldmine in the middle with tavern or with somekind of fountain.