• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Classic graphics] Optimising model performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hello everyone. I have an issue in my map where if certain models are displayed, the fps rate goes down.
Here's an example.
When Guardians are on screen, the fps goes down to 26 (top left corner). The issue becomes worse when there are more guardians and derived models on screen.
guardians - 26 fps.png
When I move the camera away so that they are not displayed, the fps rate goes back up to 46.
moved away 46 fps.png
The model in question is attached. Is there a way to improve this situation?

Attachments

• Guardian.mdx
    183.2 KB · Views: 10
Seems like your guardian model has 2306 triangles, while the human footman has only 372. So, each Guardian would have the render complexity of roughly ~6.2 footmen.

You showed us that with 8 Guardians you get 26 FPS, and with 8 Footmen you get 44 FPS.

But what about if you have 49 footmen on the screen? This would be roughly equivalent in terms of the number of triangles.

Code:
8 Guardians * 2306 triangles = 18,448 triangles
49 Footmen * 372 triangles = 18,228 triangles

If you put 49 footmen on the screen and that causes you to get 26 FPS also, then this is most likely a simple matter of the model complexity. To make a different model that you could swap in instead of the footmen and retain the same performance, you would need your new model to have the same complexity in the model (and not be more complex).

Status
Not open for further replies.