• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Character Portrait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bet

Bet

Level 1
i tried to add custom units with the skins and models and portraits and all. I wanted to add this unit, and i got the model (.mdx) down.

Then i tried to apply the portrait (which is in the field Art - Model File - Portrait - None) according to the guide, but there is none such field.

How do apply the portrait? I am using frozen throne

Actually, you simply just need to place the portrait model in the same path as the main model when imported.

For instance, if you have ManBearPig.mdx and ManBearPig_Portrait.mdx , then both should be in the same path and you only need to apply ManBearPig.mdx on the custom unit. The portrait model will automatically show up in the portrait screen when you select the custom unit ingame.

Level 4
You can place a camera in your scene to determine what part of your model is shown in the portrait. I don't know what programs you use and whether they support this feature, though. The only way I know to do this is in 3dsmax, but there probably are other ways.

edit: too late :<

Level 3
When I want to add a portrait to a unit with no portrait, I use the Magos Model Editor.

In case you don't know how to add portraits with the Magos Model Editor, here's how.

First, open the editor, then open the mdx file you want to add a portrait to. Go to Windows, then select Animation Controller. Play the Stand - 1 animation. Then move and position the view of the editor so that the head of the model is around the middle of the screen. Then go to Windows, open the Camera Manager. Right click on the empty space in the window that comes up, then select "Create New Camera from current view" and name the camera "Camera". Then just save the model and that's it. Import the unit into the world editor and play the map, and you'll see that the model has a portrait.

NOTE: The picture in the portrait will play random Stand animations like Stand - 1, Stand - 2, etc., and the picture of the unit might move out of view in the portrait place until it plays an animation that makes it move back into view (like Stand - 1).

Status
Not open for further replies.