• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chapter VII: Grim Harvest

ATTENTION!

This map is now available as part of a larger, updated and enhanced Campaign file. The campaign includes the conclusion to this epic, so it is strongly recommended you play the Campaign instead of this slightly outdated version of the standalone Chapter.

You can find the campaign on Hiveworkshop here:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/bitter-end-202289/

To the Bitter End
Chapter VII: Grim Harvest
Version: 0.7.05
(Beta release)

Single Player Action RPG/Campaign

The companions have smashed their way through Morganem's fortifications and fought their way into Khaal Spire. But the immortal Warlords still live, and their dark machinations may yet spell the Companions' doom...

Map description:
----------------

Control Soul Reaver, Fei Serumen, Cameron Aileron, Kitharsis and Sera Poi as they challenge Morganem's Warlords within the depths of Khaal Spire.

Installation instructions:
--------------------------

Put the .w3x file into a folder named "To the Bitter End" (without quotation marks, obviously) in your Warcraft III "maps" folder.
You can play the game by starting The Frozen Throne, then selecting 'Single Player', 'Custom Game', and then navigating to the map and selecting it.
It helps to have your video settings for Warcraft III set to high quality, or some custom skins in some of the campaign might look a little... weird.

Difficulty:
-----------

To the Bitter End is supposed to be very difficult. However, for those finding it simply too tough, as of version 0.7.04, I have added in variable difficulty levels. Once in-game, press Enter to bring up the chat window, then type in "easy", "medium" or "hard" (without quotation marks) to change the difficulty of the current Chapter. The default difficulty is "hard". Note that the only thing this modifies is the HP of enemy units, and enemy hero units are less affected than normal units are.

Remember though: real heroes play on hard!

Other Notes:
------------

For further info and an extensive manual, check the 'official site' at www.familykrieg.com/tothebitterend

This is the seventh of a series beta releases, it is suggested you play this one after Chapter VI: Harbingers of War.

The other releases in the series thus far are:
Chapter I: Dark Dawn
Chapter II: The Dream of Blood
Chapter III: Juggernaut
Chapter IV: Heart of Ice
Chapter V: Reunion
Chapter VI: Harbingers of War
They can all be found at the official site at http://www.familykrieg.com/tothebitterend/.

To check the version number of any of your TTBE maps, type "version" (without quotation marks) into the chat text in-game and it will display (or if nothing displays, then your version is definitely out-of-date). The newest versions are always available on the official site.

Although I am solely responsible for creating this map, the central characters featured in this campaign, as well as the Multiverse in which it is set, were envisaged by the writers at The Administorum (http://theadministorum.yuku.com/) and its newest incarnation, the Administorum 2.0 (http://nerdramblingz.com/starforums/index.php).

This was my first serious attempt at a campaign map, and my first release. I was going to wait until I had completed the campaign in its entirety before releasing anything, but at the request of one of my Administorum friends, I decided to release the completed Chapters here. Since the campaign itself not complete, this classifies the maps as beta releases. Unfortunately, with all my current commitments, it may be some time before I get all the maps done.

Some known bugs or issues (with suggested workarounds):
-------------------------------------------------------

- Does not automatically start Chapter VIII: The Bitter End on completion... because that map hasn't been completed yet!
- Some of the characters' textures look strange. (Solution: set the texture quality in the video settings to the highest available setting).

A word on cinematics:
---------------------

- It is possible to skip any of the cinematics, just press ESC.
- One 'bug' that occurs if you skip the cinematics is that any items or abilities that might have 'cooled down' and become available over the course of the cinematic will now not do this. This means that if you want to use those items/abilities often, you may have to wait around more... and if there's a timer counting down while you wait, that might not be advisable. This isn't a major thing, but it does mean that the game might be more difficult if you skip the cinematics.
- You are advised to watch the cinematics at least once. They will often give you instructions as to what to do next and offer clues as to what to expect. Making sense of the game plot without them would be pretty difficult.
- If you want to be sure to experience the game how it was meant to be played, then don't skip the cinematics. That's how I planned the level out and how I spent the most time testing it.

Hints/Notes:
------------

- You can play this map even if you haven't completed Dark Dawn, The Dream of Blood, Juggernaut, Heart of Ice, Reunion or Harbingers of War. You'll start with heroes of an appropriate Experience level and unused skill points that you can spend as you see fit. But only Morganem's lackeys would play Chapter VII without completing Chapter I, II, III, IV, V and VI first, and surely you aren't one of them?
- Use your quest log if unsure of what to do next... that's what it's there for.
- Read the tooltips if you want to know what an ability or item does. In fact, this is strongly recommended.
- Your items are re-usable. However, they have long cooldown times. Save them for when you need them, and then unleash hell.
- Your abilities are by now significantly more impressive than your items (especially your ultimates, which can often end a battle). However, your items are still valuable and can give you a vital edge in battle when used strategically.
- Sphere of Annihilation and Cataclysm are appropriately named, because they will pretty much obliterate ANYTHING in the target area. That includes things you might prefer to keep un-obliterated, such as yourself.
- By now all your basic skills should be at their maximum levels, so you will get a Skill Point every time you level up.
- It is not advisable to activate Sera's Healing Touch autocast unless you really want her to use it. Sera Poi's AI will prioritize healing over attacking, and that may not be a good thing.
- Your initial foes will not attack you unless you make a move first. This might be a good time to distribute any unusued skill points... and perhaps beging casting a powerful spell.
- You will find that actually getting to the Warlords can be rather a challenge. Rest if you need to, and try to take on new areas only when you are at or near full strength.
- When fighting the Warlords, keep your eye open for any glowing orbs that appear. If they do, get close to them so they turn into a rune. It will greatly improve your chances of survival. Note however that these orbs will appear less and less frequently as the battle progresses, however.
- You will finally reach your maximum experience level in Chapter VII.
- The Warlords are merciless and extremely powerful. SAVE OFTEN.
- Don't expect to find Raziel from the Legacy of Kain series in this game. I've been using the name Soul Reaver for my RPG alter-ego since long before even the first Blood Omen came out. The Soul Reaver in this map is an original character.

Storyline FAQ:
--------------

Q: Soul Reaver consumed a soul! So does he get all kinds of awesome new powers now?
A: No, sorry. Soul Reaver has already absorbed many souls during his millenia of existence, and one more won't make a huge difference.

Q: So... what happens to the soul he absorbed?
A: It helps contribute to the stream of energy that Soul Reaver draws upon from his absorbed souls. The soul is not 'aware' of what happens to it - for the individual that has their soul consumed, it is much like an endless, dreamless sleep.

Q: Wait, wasn't there once a character called 'Clutchfiend'? Why is he called 'Cameron Aileron' now?
A: Ah, retcons, the bane of my existence. The guy who invented the character of Clutchfiend recently retconned his background (and name). Since I liked the changes he made though, I incorporated them into To the Bitter End. Thus, all references to 'Clutchfiend' have been changed to 'Cameron Aileron' from version 0.7.04 onwards.

Q: What are the names of the cool songs you used for this map?
A: "Welcome Within", by "Godsmack" from the "Prince of Persia: Warrior Within" soundtrack, and "Ultra", by "KMFDM". Buy the CDs, it's worth it.

Special Thanks/Credits:
-----------------------

- Me, for being insane enough to make this all by myself.
- Cameron, Kitharsis, Fei and all the other writers, past, present and future, at The Administorum. That place wouldn't be what it is without you guys.
- Larc for helping me with some weapon models. You were quick, efficient and extremely helpful in resolving a major map issue. Thank you!
- Thanks to all the folks at The War Center map making forums (http://www.thewarcenter.com/forums/index.php?showforum=11) for helping me in my early days and inspiring me to keep trying. Special thanks to 1)ragonspawn for helping teach me how to deal with memory leaks.
- Everyone who submits their custom abilities and spells freely for use at www.wc3campaigns.net. You helped teach me how to do this stuff and provided a lot of inspiration.
- Warnicro from war3.incgamers.com. You put a lot of work into getting my map links working and then even put them up as featured maps, not to mention all the other help and comments you've been prepared to offer. I really appreciate all your efforts.
- Filefront for offering me the chance to host my maps there.
- Godsmack and KMFDM for creating the music I used. I don't claim to have written these myself.
- Everyone who play-tested the maps and gave me feedback. Thank you for taking the time to play.
- All the fans. It means very much to me to know that you enjoy my work.
- Everyone who gives me constructive feedback or takes an interest here. Thank you in advance.

Screenshots:
------------

120812-albums4236-picture40091.jpg

120812-albums4236-picture40092.jpg

120812-albums4236-picture40093.jpg

Tell me what you think! E-mail me ([email protected]) if you have comments or questions about 'Grim Harvest', the 'To the Bitter End' campaign, the Multiverse, or Soul Reaver.

Please do not redistribute or modify these files without my permission. These map files are not to be sold for profit.

Keywords:
Action, RPG, Single Player, SP, To the Bitter End, Multiverse, Soul Reaver, Fei Serumen, Cameron Aileron, Kitharsis, Sera Poi, Morganem
Contents

Chapter VII: Grim Harvest (Map)

Reviews
17:33, 9th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
Level 14
Level 14
lol good advertising. too many 9 inch nails and un-quality bands though :/

is this chapter the last?

Unfortunately the music is pretty subjective and won't appeal to everyone. In the future I might add in a trigger to allow people to turn off the music (since in a number of Chapters it's not controlled by the music volume slider). I don't really care about the specific bands, I mostly picked songs that I thought suited the scenario in some way.

And no, Chapter VII is NOT the last. Chapter VIII will be last playable chapter (though I'm also making Prologue and Epilogue cinematic-only maps).

I'm currently working on Chapter VIII. I have 3 cinematics to make before everything's done, but all the gameplay stuff is finished.

Level 2
This map is great (so are the others) and i can't wait for VIII.
I have also got throught all other warlords expect Maelstorm. It was fast battle indeed, most annoying thing is that when he destroys your portal with his aoes. Other warlords were guite hard too, and I needed to go that revenant guy with easy. I still wanted to see ending (so I cheated in Maelstorm :ogre_hurrhurr: ). But it would be still glad to beat him.
Only boring moment was battle with that big bug.

Heroes:5/5
Terrain:5/5
Special effects:5/5
Villains:5/5
Models:5/5
Storyline:4/5

Storyline 4/5 because: It was good, but there are MUCH of stories about heroes defeating evil socerers. So I would like something more original.

Level 14
Is it all of them.

No, there is one more BIG release to come. It'll include Chapter VIII as well as Prologue and Epilogue cinematics.

I'm currently working on it. A recent harddisk crash has delayed things a little (I've got backups of everything so I haven't lost any work, but it's taking a few days to get my computer back up and running normally again).

Keep an eye on the official site (www.familykrieg.com/tothebitterend) to see the current progress toward this final release.

This map is great (so are the others) and i can't wait for VIII.
I have also got throught all other warlords expect Maelstorm. It was fast battle indeed, most annoying thing is that when he destroys your portal with his aoes. Other warlords were guite hard too, and I needed to go that revenant guy with easy. I still wanted to see ending (so I cheated in Maelstorm :ogre_hurrhurr: ). But it would be still glad to beat him.
Only boring moment was battle with that big bug.

Heroes:5/5
Terrain:5/5
Special effects:5/5
Villains:5/5
Models:5/5
Storyline:4/5

Storyline 4/5 because: It was good, but there are MUCH of stories about heroes defeating evil socerers. So I would like something more original.

I'm happy you've been enjoying it! Check in on the official site occasionally to get an update on the progress toward the final release.

As for Maelstrom: the main trick when fighting him is to cause enough damage in one big assault to force him to use up one of his runes. If you don't manage that, his regeneration spell will quickly undo all the work you did damaging him.

Save up your abilities for a good opportunity, and try to stay away from Maelstrom while they are charging or while he's using his Ultimates. A ful-on combination of all of Soul Reaver's abilities will quickly do the required damage. Blooddrinker works very well here (since there are no allies to get in the way even when Soul Reaver berserks with it), as does the Anti-Magic Amulet (since it can dispel Maelstrom's regeneration spell).

I like to think that while the basics of the plot treads well-worn ground, there are plenty of more intricate details along the way, and more complexity to the characters involved than usual. Saying that Morganem is just 'evil' might be oversimplifying him. Take a look at his sections in the Manual (http://www.familykrieg.com/tothebitterend/Manual.htm) to see what I mean. And I hope you'll enjoy the final confrontation with him in Chapter VIII regardless!

this is good

Good to hear, thank you!