1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Grim Batol

Submitted by Filmting
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Grim Batol

Map Info:

An ancient dwarven city, hidden inside a mountain. It have long been abandoned, and evil creatures have taken up residence inside it's halls. It could be a powerful stronghold for any faction that could clean it out.

Features:
  • Inside a Dwarf Mountain, limited air mobility. With that a backcavern into enemy base.
  • Destructable Gate to allow a shorter path through middle.
  • 4 Gold Mines - 13000 Main, 8000 Expansions
  • 6 Green Creep Camps
  • 10 Orange Creep Camps
  • 1 Red Creep Camps
  • 2 Goblin Merchants
  • 2 Mercenary Camps
  • 1 Fountain of Health
  • 1 Fountain of Mana
  • 1 Tavern

Screenshots:
Screenshots

Inspiration
[​IMG]

Overview
[​IMG]

Author Notes:
I love to do crazy themes, and here is another! This time it's inside an abandoned dwarf mountain. I intially tried to create an ironforge like city, but it proved abit difficult to get the perfect tiles, so i settled for Grim Batol instead. While not an excact replica, it is heavily inspired by the map you can see in screenshots above. The map itself may not be competetive worthy, but i've tried my best to make it as balanced as possible. The limited paths to manuver along with limited air space makes it a bit difficult though. Never the less i managed to get a good layout, that should still be balanced enough and have tons of fun!

Keywords:
Dwarf, mountain, city, dungeon, underground, tileset, filmting, crazeh, bonestorm, melee, 1v1, competetive, super fun time, more bonestorm
Contents

Grim Batol (Map)

Reviews
20:42, 11th Nov 2014 StoPCampinGn00b: Map approved, I've opened the map and I've checked off all the map submission rules that apply to melee maps. NOTE: I have given no rating nor review to melee maps with user ratings and/or feedback today so I...
  1. 20:42, 11th Nov 2014
    StoPCampinGn00b: Map approved, I've opened the map and I've checked off all the map submission rules that apply to melee maps.

NOTE: I have given no rating nor review to melee maps with user ratings and/or feedback today so I have time to get the other maps that require more inspection. If you desire a review, feel free to ask; you may catch me unbusy.

2. Oh, not bad. It needs more tile variation in a few locations, but overall, it's good :)

3. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ^Either that, or more doodads. The place looks so clean! :p

Bases have adequate space. Though Night Elf AIs might have a difficulty (most of the time they're the crazy pathing victims).

4. Shadow Fury

Shadow Fury

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    A good and bad melee map in the same moment. Here is why I think it's bad:-

BAD POINTS:-
    - What I noticed immediately from the screenshot and by having a quick look at the map is that it lacks of tile variation. The central part is mostly made of Black Marble and there are almost no signs of White Marble (except at the Ogres). Then, there aren't enough doodads to enhance the theme
    - Some creeps do not fit this kind of theme. I would never imagine an ogre or a dragonspawn to be inside a dungeon-like mountain (that's why they are not in the Dungeon neutral creeps)
    - The two fountains at the bottom are too unbalanced. One fountain is approriate, but two (one of health and one of mana) would create real unbalance. I can go and restore completely health and mana to my units. Not good
    - The bridge at the bottom is too restricted! It's a too tiny area to pass or to fight in
    - Computers cannot destroy gates and this gives me a super-advantage. They cannot have a quick access outside their base and cannot ambush mine as simply as I would ambush their
    - Item drops aren't perfect. I found out that the faceless ones at the fountains drop two power-ups which is wrong. One power-up would be enough but it would be unfitting. Most tend to heal, resurrect or restore mana but those are totally useless beside two fountains which already heal, restore mana and grant my army greater vitality. Not only this, a level 6 creep cannot be dropping a level 1 item. It's too underpowered for such a creep

SUGGESTIONS:-
    - More tile variation. Put more White Marble in places like the fountains and the tavern plus some Dungeon Square Tiles (Gray) on all that Dalaran Ruin Square Tiles (Purplish). More dungeon doodads like skull piles, remains scorched, skull on sticks, cage trashed, head on spear etc...
    - The closed gates should be open by setting their HP to 0 as you did with the secondary ones
    - Replace the ogres with Revenants, they suit more the theme. And for the dragonspawn, you can replace it with a Salamander, it's also level 5
    - Only one fountain can remain at the bottom. Either the mana or health one, not both
    - Fix the item drops. No power-up items drop right there and no level 1 items. Something like a random level 3 charged/permanent item seems good

OVERALL RESULT
    Overall the map needs some more improvements. For me, it gets 2.5/5, a rating of 3 and I will AWAIT UPDATE!

5. Filmting

Filmting

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh hive u so funny. I can't even be arsed to respond to your sillyness.

6. Shadow Fury

Shadow Fury

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Oh ok didn't know about that. About Warcraft 2 I have 0 knowledge.

7. AYF

AYF

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am no fan of 1way entrance to the goldmines
    I find the elevated fountains area is too easy to turtle, but considering the difficulty of the creepcamp (mainly because of the limited ramp witdth), feels balanced
    Rest looks fine to me

8. rcshaggy

rcshaggy

Resources:
    Resources:
    So you based a map on the Catacyslm dungeon?
    I enjoyed that dungeon when I got to it, and still it would be nice if other people actually made the other dungeons into maps.

9. kakuzu

kakuzu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice map, the idea is cool and the terrain well made.

10. UrijelV

UrijelV

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice little map, appreciate that the gold mine isn't too easy to get, for me two mercenary camps are too much on a small map like this one.

The fountain location isn't too OP (disregarding creeps which I like) as it's not close to your base/expo meaning if either of those get attacked you have to walk/tele there.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  11. Eagle XI

Eagle XI

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    The 'backdoor' cavern has too narrow chokepoints, its seems very easy to air-blockade your opponent.
    'Super-fountain'-duo like the one you just put down are generally considered an very bad idea.
    You may want to install a 'no-fly zone' over the huge lavapit in the middle, keep in mind that ( mass of deepwater = possible unretaliated air attack/harass ), inspecially in such a central location. Could be in the form of applying damage over time to any flyer within the area because excessive heat, etc.

12. Nemesis_

Nemesis_

Resources:
    Resources:
    The terrain in the central part of map looks quite empty(correct word?) but it definitely looks good. Nice map overall.