• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"Chaos" ability no longer works? Need to change/turn off collision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
So Warcraft has a number of Chaos abilities such as Chaos (Grunt) and Chaos (Raider), etc. which are supposed to change a unit to another unit type when they have that ability. I've never used it before myself but based on old threads is sounds like it used to work, but when I test it now nothing happens (simply with a trigger that adds the Chaos (Grunt) ability to a unit and nothing else). Seems like it could be quite useful, so pretty annoying if it used to work but doesn't now, can anyone confirm or deny this?

What I wanted to use it for in this case was just to change a unit to basicly the same unit with 0 collision, since that, from what I've been able to find, is the only way to approximate turning off collision for a ground unit (The "turn off collision" trigger is basicly worthless since it lets you walk into boundary areas). Of course 0 collision isn't quite no collision anyways (because nothing is ever what it seems in Warcraft) but it would still be a passable alternative. The only way I know of to make a ground unit truly have no collision is Wind Walk, but that has to be used actively which wouldn't work in this case because it's not supposed to interrupt what the unit is doing. So while I doubt there is one, if anybody knows of a way to turn off collision for a unit without letting it walk up cliffs or into boundary areas that would also solve my problem.

Level 7
Wind Walk shouldn't interrupt the unit, it's an Instant ability.

But I'm not sure about Chaos, I believe it worked the last I tried it on the latest version. Are you sure you used it properly?
Wouldn't it still replace it's previous order if I use a trigger to order it to use Wind Walk?

And I mean unless there's more to it, then yea. Added the ability and there was no effect whatsoever.

Add the ability Ghost (visible) to the unit. One thing tho is that other units can move pass through it but it can't move pass other units.
Yea I know about Ghost, but like you said it only "halfway" turns off collision, that's not really enough.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I'll have to mess with Chaos when I get a chance. Wind Walk is an Instant ability so as far as I know it doesn't interrupt orders.
The Wind Walk method is commonly referred to as "Phasing".

It's still not the best solution but that's Warcraft 3 for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.