• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Unit Collision Size Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So, I'm working on a map where I'm making a bunch of units. One of them is a Forgotten One-turned unit, and it's really big. I based it as a new unit on a Rifleman due to a couple of reasons, but basically copied a lot of information from the Forgotten One building to make everything look fine.

However, collision size seems bugged, or, rather, I'm probably doing something wrong.

No matter how large I make the unit collision size, it is limited to a certain degree so units clip through it.

The collision size works in World Editor itself, making me unable to place units near it, and as I increase the collision size, they have to be placed further and further away.

However ingame, it caps somewhere where units can just walk through it, no matter how large I make the size.

I've changed the gameplay constants so max collision size is 1024. It has no effect on the seemingly capped collision size.

As suggested somewhere, I've tried doing it in multiples of 2,4,8,16 etc (With sizes 256 and 512 both not having any effect on the collision, units still clip through it at the same cap as though I haven't increased the collision size at all)

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Why does the collision size not work?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Why does the collision size not work?
There is a hard limit in WC3. There is a maximum collision size. Probably for performance purposes.

The collision size works in World Editor itself, making me unable to place units near it, and as I increase the collision size, they have to be placed further and further away.
WE uses different collision mechanics from the actual game. Their mechanics are inconsistent.

I recommend turning it into a building of sorts and using a pathing map. As far as I am aware there is no reasonable limit to the size of pathing maps, with demonstrations showing ones that are >>24*24 tiles working properly for buildings.

Level 2
THanks for the explanation! I'm unsure how pathing mapping works. If I turn it into a building and then change this, and turn it back into a unit, will it work?

Level 2
Well, it must be mobile. Can a building be mobile? Can it be trained by other buildings? In that case it's no problem (I'm a real noob at the World Editor, as you can tell.)

Although when I think about it, it'd be pretty cool if a unit actually built the Forgotten one movable building, seeing that it's a faction centered around mad cultists and acolytes bringing about the end of the world. The unit is supposed to be a sort of mega thing to begin with; having it be constructed and allowing reparations with cultists would definitely add to the 'weight' of the unit.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Well, it must be mobile. Can a building be mobile? Can it be trained by other buildings? In that case it's no problem (I'm a real noob at the World Editor, as you can tell.)
Yes buildings can be mobile but they suffer the same problem, maximum collision size. Pathing footprints do not move when mobile.

Forgotten one was stationary hence why a building would work for a bigger version.

Level 2
Aww, that's too bad. Then I guess I have to make it work with the max collision size. Thanks for the help though!

Status
Not open for further replies.