• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Channel based spell in dummy cast stoped working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hello!

Recently i've run in a very odd case.
I used dummy casting spells in my map, and spells which dummy should cast based on a channel ability.
And everything worked fine.
So some event creates dummy unit, which in some conditions cast a channel-based spell, which trigger other events.

But after some development it simple stoped working. Dummy simple doesnt respond on issue to cast a spell if it channel based.
I cheked everything, it has enough time to cast, it has enough range, it has enough mana and of course order-id matches. If i replace channel with another spell, with native order-id which i used in channel, it works.
But it all doesnt matter, because it all worked, and i didnt change anything related to this trigger.

What could cause such behaivior change? I simply cant recall what i have done in map, which could alter it.

Tank you.

Level 8
I believe @Dr Super Good knows why Channel does this. It's not a trigger issue if I recall correctly.
Yes, i think so. Because triger was unchanged for the whole time, and in map back up it still working perefectly, but in recent version the very same trigger just not. And every part of it is working except dummy dont respond on "issue order tageting a point" command, when i order it to cast channel spell with flamestrike order id. And as i stated above, when i simply replace channel with flamestrike order id on actual flamestrike based spell, it just works.

Level 8
Post triggers
Im sure that there is no problem in the trigger itself, because i have two same triggers in different versions of the map, using two same spells, but in old one it works perefectly and in actual version, dummy just refuse to cast channel based spell trought trigger commands. I think something else changed, and i can't get my head around what actually is.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Im sure that there is no problem in the trigger itself, because i have two same triggers in different versions of the map, using two same spells, but in old one it works perefectly and in actual version, dummy just refuse to cast channel based spell trought trigger commands. I think something else changed, and i can't get my head around what actually is.
It has something to do with Channel's base order id I believe. My memory is a bit foggy on the subject so I was hoping Dr could come in and explain it.

Level 12
It has something to do with Channel's base order id I believe. My memory is a bit foggy on the subject so I was hoping Dr could come in and explain it.

Same, but I also think there was a case with some unit added in the map (locust?) or something like that and a channel skill stopped working. I for sure remember someone deleting an edited unit from their map and fixed their channel skill. :D (It could have maybe even been linked to the base order ID, with the unit abilty base order ID breaking the ability).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The cast type channel uses must match the cast type of the ability that the order string comes from. If it does not match then AI and trigger issued orders will not work to cast both the channelled ability and any ability derived from the ability the order string comes from. This will not affect player casting of the abilities, only AI and trigger casting.

As an example, if you base a channel ability on the order string for thunderclap and then turn it into a unit target ability then this will break trigger issued orders for both the channel ability and any ability derived from thunderclap. Thunderclap is an instant cast ability so channel has mutated its target type breaking it internally.

Level 8
Same, but I also think there was a case with some unit added in the map (locust?) or something like that and a channel skill stopped working. I for sure remember someone deleting an edited unit from their map and fixed their channel skill. :D (It could have maybe even been linked to the base order ID, with the unit abilty base order ID breaking the ability).
Yes, i actually thing there is problem exactly in this matter. Because last things i did are adding locust dummy caster and creating channel based spell, but i cant figure out which case exactly caused it and how to prevent it in the future.

Level 8
The cast type channel uses must match the cast type of the ability that the order string comes from. If it does not match then AI and trigger issued orders will not work to cast both the channelled ability and any ability derived from the ability the order string comes from. This will not affect player casting of the abilities, only AI and trigger casting.

As an example, if you base a channel ability on the order string for thunderclap and then turn it into a unit target ability then this will break trigger issued orders for both the channel ability and any ability derived from thunderclap. Thunderclap is an instant cast ability so channel has mutated its target type breaking it internally.
Well, thank you i didnt actually knew this nuance. And unfortunately I used id orders from the spell which doesnt match cast type(if i understood you correctly), but you said such mistake will cause problems in this spell, and the spell which order id was used, but in my case just all channels stop working, even which order id was derived correctly. Such as flamestrike which you use with the channel targeting a point cast type, and when i replace this channel with actual flamestrike it is not broken and freely casts from the triggers, which proves that this skill wasnt broken, but whole channel thing was ruined.
And i tried to fix it, and tried to set all order id's in channel abilities to match it cast type as close as possible. But it did me no good. Does it mean that is a problem somewhere else, or channel base abilities ruined entirely in this map version and i must to roll back to backup? Is there a way to fix it?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Make sure that all triggers are working by testing manual casts of the abilities. If there is a thread crash during initialisation this can prevent all events, conditions and actions from being created past the point of the thread crash.

Another cause can be if triggers interrupt the casts. For example if a trigger with a buggy condition is unintentionally issuing orders, pausing or in any other way disrupting the unit in response to it casting an ability, interrupting the ability cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.