• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Make channel-based spell target unit with triggers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I've made a spell based on "Channel", and have selected the Target Type to be "Unit Target". Then, I want to make a trigger which orders a unit to cast this spell on another unit. Problem is, the only way to order a unit to cast Channel through "Unit - Issue order"-actions is by using "Issue order with no target", but my channel spell needs a unit target and so the unit won't cast it. Is there an easy way to solve this? I can imagine changing the spell to "Instant (No Target)" and use dummy abilities somehow, but that would require a lot of extra work and feels annoying since the spell itself works as it is.

Level 28
The powerful thing about Channel is that you can choose the base spell yourself (only 2 other spells have that I believe, and nobody cares about Charge Gold and Lumber either way).
If you need that unit-target spell, then why not set "Data - Base Order ID" to chain lightning, storm bolt, fire bolt or any other target-spell?
Then you just need to order it to cast that spell (whatever you set that value to) and it will cast channel.

Level 5
Really? I didn't know you could do that, I'll try it right away.

EDIT: It worked, thank you very much!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.