• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Changing Space Background Image

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
okay, basically, I am making a space themed map in the editor, where you conquer planets and all that jazz.

However, it looks kinda silly when you are conquering planets and there happens to be a giant fucking planet in the background.

So, in order to change this to a more spacey themed background, I went into Terrain Texture Sets in the Object Editor and looked at two fields, Background Model (Fixed) and Background Model (Not Fixed). These fields had different values, Braxis Alpha Sky Box and Braxis Alpa Parallax. Upon further investigation, Braxis Alpha Parallax just appeared to be a bunch of random asteroids and shit so I disregarded that and further looked into Braxis Alpha Sky Box.

Then, I looked into the materials of Braxis Alpha Sky Box. It appeared that SpaceSingleNebula_Brown.dds was the only .dds file that was used, so I assumed this was the background image. However, after replacing it with a more fitting spacey .dds file, it did not change the background at all and instead merely made the map load slow.

So, wondering if anyone has had experience with this and/or has done this in their map. Thanks.

EDIT: Actually, just figured out that it actually IS the parallax that creates the background. However, it appears that it is more of a model than an actual image, with many different textures and such, so it is likely that changing the background easily is impossible. :(

Level 3
I too would like to know the answer to this, if it's possible. Since I'm making a space conquest type map as well.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
To remove the planet, simply delete...
Background Model (Not fixed)
In the data editor for texture sets.

Then save your map and reload it (close then open).

The planet will be gone and you will still have the space background. The problem is there will be no starts as they are the same model as the planet.

Thus all you need is someone to edit the Background Model (Not fixed) and remove asteroids and planets.

Level 11
DSG, that sounds like a good idea, however, do you know what the path for the space background is? I'm guessing its a dds file, so if I could figure that out and change it to include stars and the like, would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.