• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[General] Can't get an ability to work from a building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey as you can guess by my question, I'm new to the world editor =D.

I have a really frustrating problem, I've been trying to figure it out by myself for hours, I've even tried copying the ability from another map which works (The only way i've got the thing to work at all so far). I know I could do the same for the building but then I'll never learn xD.

Basically I'm making a simple ability to sell the current building, which is accessed and used from that building (Think castle fight style), bish bash bosh. Oh also I know I could do it as a form of upgrade, which is what I used to have and it worked, but I'd much rather an ability since it's much faster and easier for players in-game.

I've managed to get it slightly working (thanks to copying the ability of a random map), as in; if i place the building in the editor and test it out, the ability will work, and the building will sell exactly as it's supposed too. However if i try to build the exact same building with my builder in-game, the ability in the building will be completely greyed out.

I've made sure no mana is involved anywhere (i've also tried with mana costs just for the hell of it).

I'm completely out of ideas, please ask if you need more info. The sooner i can get this fixed the sooner i can carry on with my map =)

Tom

---------EDIT-----------
Well I decided to ignore this error for now until hopefully someone comes up a possible solution, so I began working on upgrades that will be researched in that building that applys to the unit it trains.

The point being, when the building is first constructed, the sell button is greyed out and un-useable. But if i research an upgrade, the sell ability somehow comes to life and works completely. My mind is just totally blown at the moment, I don't see what's causing it to not work when the building is first built.

The upgrade does nothing to the building by the way.

--------Solved--------
Moderator please change this post to solved, I fixed it by myself accidently haha.
Truth is I just didn't think of the most basic reason why it wasn't working, it turns out the reason why the ability was greyed out was because you can't use an ability while the current building is in the middle of a training/research queue. Sorry ^.^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.