• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unit Ability levels - increasing level through upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I've tried to set up an upgrade that levels up an ability, except that no matter what I've tried (and I worked on it for a full day), it will not work. I based the upgrade on the Raise Dead upgrade, and there's two of these upgrades in one building, but the ability that the upgrades are supposed to level up, refuses to level up. The ability is supposed to be used by every single unit on the team, including ones spawned after the ability is upgraded.

I've tried a workaround using triggers (set level of ability to current research level of upgrade +1), however, in order to have it affect all the units on the team, I have to have an event of a short time period, or of something that happens often, and it crashes the game (as far as I see it, it's trying to access a variable that is currently being changed, and that's what's causing the crash).

(Long version of what the ability does/is: I've named the two abilities as "Order Racial Ability" and "Chaos Racial Ability." Every unit has them. They are disabled by default, and when a certain building is upgraded, they become available. The player can then build a Blacksmith that allows them to actually upgrade the abilities, and the upgrades are based on the Skeleton Mastery Upgrade, with its target changed. As far as I can see, the Upgrade will not level up the ability. (I've double checked it, and the Upgrade has Effect - Ability Level Bonus and Ability Effected - Order Racial Ability.))

One of the abilities is based on Elune's Grace, and gives damage resistances to Piercing, Magic, and spells. The other is based on Vampiric Aura with the Area of Effect set to 0, and with no aura-art.

Status
Not open for further replies.