• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Leveling up unit abilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So i have a unit with an ability, its Level 1, and a building has an upgrade to level it up... i tried to make it happen, but it just doesnt work....

'Ability Level Bonus as an upgrade effect doesnt work, how can i make this thing work? i'd prefer to stay away from triggers on this one because of the number of abilities and upgrades i will make... is there a way to do this without triggers?

I don't think it's possible without triggers.

With triggers it'll be like:
  • Trigger:
    • Events
      • A unit begins an upgrade
    • Conditions
      • Upgrade equal to Upgrade 1
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set level of ability for Your_Hero to 2
Not exactly like that, since I don't have the editor right now, I can't make it exactly, but it should be something like that.

Level 12
Uhhh

Well, I suppose the way to do it would be with a simple trigger that uses a unit group, shouldn't be too lag intensive, because it's only a single instance

But yeah, just make a unit group and set all of their abilites to + 1

Other than that, I have no idea how

Level 12
Woah woah woah

You only need one for this

Just use a unit group
I don't feel like doing the code here, but it is very simple, as long as you know how to use unit groups properly

There's always the option to create two different abilities and switch them out with a trigger.

Exactly what I was about to say. Just duplicate your ability then edit the values to be improved.

*freehand*
  • YourTriggerToReplaceTheAbilitiesWhenAnUpgradeIsResearchedMakeSureThatYouMakeTwoAbilities
    • Events
      • <Upgrade> is researched
    • Conditions
      • <Conditions>
    • Actions
      • Unit - Remove <Ability 1>
      • Unit - Add <Ability 2>
Something like that. :wink:

Level 12
Wait a second

I thought the problem wasn't the triggering, just the fact that he would need to change the abilities for every single unit on the map

You can always just literally inrease the level of the ability, rather than giving it a new one (new function for TFT WE)

It's used very much in King Leopold's map for the lllllllllllllllllllllllll kill points

(I was so happy when I figured that out xD)

Level 12
Ok

How many units of each type, how many upgrades, and how many abilities

And I mean exactly how many

Status
Not open for further replies.