• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can DNS poisoning throttle connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Just asking. If my machine is afflicted by DNS cache poisoning, does it have the ability to throttle my connection?

I just keep on noticing an attack from an IP address owned by my ISP, I can see it through my firewall's logs when I download files bigger than 700MB.

I'm just wondering if that is the reason of my 40KB/s bottleneck connection. My speed is originally 2.9Mbps.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
One way to find out.

Change your DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4. This can be done in your network connection Properties under Internet Protocol Version 4 and choosing to specify your own DNS.

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are both DNS servers run by Google. Google has a high regard to security so it is highly likely they will not be poisoned.

If you use a local NAT with DHCP support such as a "router" then you should be able to change the DNS for all computers on the network from there.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
A lot of ISPs apply switch based throttling to prevent peer to peer trafic overloading their over-sold bandwidth.

If I peer to peer something during the day I get 50 KB/sec max. At night I get up to 800 KB/sec. You can even notice a cutoff where it will suddenly change (around midnight).

Status
Not open for further replies.