• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Can alot of trigger cause alot of lag for multiplayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Because my map has 160 trigs...and people say my map lags big time when playing with people. However, it doesn't lag for me at all. Probably because I have a way faster comp than them. 512 Byte of Ram and amd(tm) xp 2500+, 1.83ghz.

Level 1
argh

IF you have tons of triggers it would make it lag more. but it can be your connection also. try using a map optimizing prog

Level 2
huh

where do i get that? Well, I was also lookin for some testers or something to see if it lags for them.

Level 22
Map optimizations wont eactly fix anything. In actuallity I've heard more complaints about it CREATING lag rather then REMOVING it. So I'd reccomend against it.

Lots of triggers will not cause lag. However, certain kinds of triggers will...or will al least eventaully lead to lag f the game continues long enouph. Triggers that have reference to points, such a units being ordered to areas in a region, or units being created at a point, or special effects and sounds being created at a positions of a unit....all those "points" are still stored even after the trigger action has run or the unit killed. After a long game, all those add up, and will begin to create lag. So in short, constantly looping triggers with such point references will eventually lead to lag.
-VGsatomi

Level 9
Something about lags:
Lags may be caused by:
1) Computer units that are stuck
2) Masses of units + special effects
3) By triggers that have period time LESS than 0.10 and make an action at more than 5 ppl
4) Some units are laggy by themself and they need to have "first time lag" for norma; using
3) try to use 1 trigger for more actions by if\then\else (P.S. i have more than 200 triggers and more than 300 variables anb map doesn't lag at all [Meat 3] )
4) Use Weidgazer SLK optimiser.It will fix Loading time lag and make quicker your map.

Level 5
Make sure you don't have any triggers that are constantly looping, that itself would cause major lag. Unless the whole screen is filled with units, having small masses of units shouldn't cause too much trouble, although it can start to bog down the game.

At the beginning, have very few "Map Initialization" triggers also, because that can contribute to that dreaded hangtime at the beginning of the game. Fire some events after a couple of seconds, and spread them out if you have more than 4 or 5 to fire. I generally would fire 1 ever 1/2 second of the game if I needed some triggers at start.

That should help a bit, basically re-enforcing what Vamp said. Map optimizing will basically only make the file smaller... not fix lag.

Level 2
My map usually lag only after the game has end, making players need to wait for a long time before they could go to the warcraft startup screen. How do I fixed this?I have try detroying every unit and trigger before the game ends but it could not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.