• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

does having a lot of doodads/units cause lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
to me it seems like it wouldn't because the unit/doodad data structures are probably organized into a b-tree, but they may have it set up linearly if for some reason a b-tree doesn't work...which would cause big lags with lots of objects. does anyone know if lots of units/doodads causes lag?? (assume for simplicity that they don't ever move...)

Level 1
Having lots of units/doodads does cause lag, especially when there's lots of them clunked up in one place or have high quality textures.

Level 5
i dont mean from a graphics standpoint. take, for example, trees. say you have a thousand trees just sitting around your map. are they going to cause lag?

Level 7
LOl some dont even know melee maps ( reply 1 about high quality textures) from too much mapping, not to say if you know melee games and not to say solo hahaha green peon : 'what is solo ?????'.

Thats easy to asnwer, i use 512 MB Ram, ge Force 4, direct X 10 +, 2 GBs free space you see enough for frozen throne running fast and properly. I know that melee maps have thousands of doodads => 3000-4000 doodads may not cause probmes havent tried with more.

BUT:
Units can cause you see even with that space your map to crash. You can have like 100 units or 200 (risky) but more will kinda cause all to crash. I already showed you what im working on. Well i used to have some fences as buildings, i made them destructible eventually. I was thinkink of making all the civilian buildings units but as you see to many buildings will cause a FATAL ERROR. SO my advice when it is not so important like this here, better use doodads with these models. Ok i might try when i have my models done, to add as buildings but believe me i have done it many times and too many units= crash. At least 300 + units is crash

Note: a better chance not to crash is not to add them one by one but to add them with triggers. Create X unit .... This reduces but doesnt comepletely save it from crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.