• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Campaign Soundsets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Campaign Soundsets (Solved)

Okay, so I've been poking around the sound section and help section for a while looking for a thread that addressed this, and I haven't managed to find one that covered my exact problem. At the moment, I am trying to create a campaign with custom soundsets for certain units, but I don't want to have to reimport every single sound for every single soundset for every single map - this is a huge hassle as well as just being an inefficient use of space in an already-large campaign. So instead I've been trying to import these sounds through the campaign import manager and I've renamed them to the paths I've found using the Sound Manager, which is usually something along the lines of:

Sounds\Internal\Units\*race*\*unit*\*unit*What1.wav

Though I have also tried the following (based off what I found using Magos's .mpq browser):

Sounds\Units\*race*\*unit*\*unit*What1.wav

However, neither of these, as far as I can tell, works in-game. I've tested a couple of times and none of my test voices have not been replaced. I've gone back in multiple times to double-check that my path names were completely correct, which they all are now according to the Sound Manager paths, but this does not seem to have an impact. Sound management in WCIII has always been kinda iffy in my experience, so I'm guessing that this is less that I'm somehow messing up the import and more that WCIII's sound system just doesn't work this way. So I have two questions:

1) Has anyone tried to do this before and can tell me whether or not they managed to get it to work? I'm by no means a mapmaking genius so I may still be messing up somewhere, and I do recall playing campaigns (Curse of the Forsaken, for example) that used custom soundsets for certain units.

2) If I'm right and this system of importing doesn't work, is there any way to replace these soundsets in a way that doesn't require importing on each individual map? The only alternative system I've found so far involves .mpq editing, which is something I'm completely unfamiliar with, not to mention that it would mean this campaign would basically only be playable on my computer.

Any insight anyone has into this is appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Okay, I've now tried this using the generic path: Units\*race*\*unit*\*unit*What1.wav, which has removed the original sound from the game but has not replaced it with the new one. I'm going to play around with the sound file properties and see if I can make WCIII like it more.

Last edited:
Level 12
Hmm... I was careful to save as .wav files, but I'm not actually sure what the bitrate is; it never occurred to me that could be part of the problem. I'll experiment with that and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: I've checked the default settings on my sound editing program, and it appears that I've been saving as 16 bit PCM. They're stereo tracks, though. I'll see if changing to mono makes the difference.

It works! Thank you so much! I had noticed before that all the WCIII standard sounds were mono, but it never occurred to me that it wouldn't work with stereo.

Status
Not open for further replies.