• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Campaign File Size Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi, I am working on a pretty ambitious and big thing and I am pretty much pumping it up with all kinds of custom models, icons, old (classic) wow rips, etc. So before I exaggerate I wanted to ask if there is any file size limit when it comes to wc3 campaigns (technically andd what the moderators allow to publish). (The last time I uploaded a campaign they had to raise the limit but it got a director's cut approvement so it was worth it).

Level 10
I am using the oldest wow models of wow classics who are mostly pretty low on file size especially all kinds of doodads etc arent so much bigger than other wc3 custom models on Hive. The Models are pretty much stripped from all unneccessary animations etc. and the filesize is currently at 220 MB I am counting with like 400 MB max, so do you know if that would be okay? :D

Level 28
220 MB is still huge for a campaign but good enough, there are campaigns that has that file size and approved tho, but if u need to reduce the size, try to delete unneccessary resource, in most of cases, costum sounds take a lot of space they make the campaign bug when working on it with WorldEditor also increase the campaign file size too.

Level 10
220 MB is still huge for a campaign but good enough, there are campaigns that has that file size and approved tho, but if u need to reduce the size, try to delete unneccessary resource, in most of cases, costum sounds take a lot of space they make the campaign bug when working on it with WorldEditor also increase the campaign file size too.

My last campaign Sechiron Rises had 220 and got the directors cut rating so I have a reference for quality. Yes some music is really heavy, is there some kind of converter or something which can reduce the filesize? I am also experiencing laggs when starting to play one of music tracks ingame.

Level 14
Hi Zunariel,

you can simply use audacity, load a music file, export mp3 (u need the right codec for that) with a set kbit/s rate, which is normally around 192. Set it to 128 or something and see, if you can see a significant difference. You will see, that in most cases, this can save you more than 50% of space and you will not be able to hear big differences.

On the other hand, you can store the music locally and not import it, which saves every kb of high quality sound, but then players have to install your provided music folder (which could be problematic when it comes to rights).

Level 16
Also look into compressing your textures. Download a program off the Hive called BLP LAB. For anything that isn't really large or likely to be zoomed in closely, you can get away with 20-30% JPEG compression. Larger and/or zoomed in, or important units maybe 30-70% JPEG compression. Experiment yourself too.

You can even reduce the resolution of textures, but its a little more fiddely. I think Wow textures often have very large resolutions compared to WC3 meaning a big file size.

See above explanation for music compression. I'll add that you could possibly even compress to 96 kbit/s depending on the music. Again, experiment to see what you can get away with. Don't ever use any .wav sound files in your map. If you need them for unit soundsets, there's a little trick you can use. Ask if you need any more help.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

well, theres no size limit for a single player campaign / map. Its only multiplayers that have the 8mb limit (which is no more thanks to the 8mb limit removal)

Level 14
[E]clipse;2804666 said:
well, theres no size limit for a single player campaign / map. Its only multiplayers that have the 8mb limit (which is no more thanks to the 8mb limit removal)

when did they remove the 8 mb limit? Was that in this last patch 1.27? Because when I try to host a 9 mb map, it seems to be still in place.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Theres an 8mb limit remover on hive. check it out !

Status
Not open for further replies.