• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Camouflaging With Microsoft Picture It! Photo Standard 9

This tutorial will teach you how to camouflage any unit using Microsoft Picture It! Photo Standard 9.
Pros and Cons I've experienced:

Pros
• It's easy
• Keeps the WarCrafty feeling
• It doesn't require much skill

Cons

• You often go over edges and paint normally black things

• It removes team colour

Tools Needed

• Microsoft Picture It! Photo Standard 9
• WarCraft 3 Viewer

Step One - Extracting & Preparing

We're going to be using a rifleman.
Firstly, open up WarCraft 3 Viewer, then in the Treeview, find Rifleman.blp under Units/Human/Rifleman, like this:
Treeview.jpg
After you have him, go into Current File and press "Extract and Convert"
Viewing.jpg .
Then, save him in a folder where you can find him;
Saving.jpg

Then, open him up and go to Freehand Painting;
Freehand Painting.jpg
Go into Customize Paint Settings,
Settings.jpg and then change the brush to this and the transparency to 75.
Transparency and Size.jpg
Then go back and change the brush size and colour to the following: Green.jpg
O.K., you're good to paint.

Step Two - Camouflaging

Start off painting in his face, I did a sort of pattern around his eye -
Stage One.jpg
Then change colours, to Orange and then brown - the 2nd darkest.
Change Colours.jpg
Then, keep painting the face. It might be easier to use a smaller brush, but you should be fine. Remember not to paint IN the eye, just around it and the blanks.
Stage Two.jpg
I chose to paint the beard too, but this is optional.
Stage Three.jpg
After this, I did the naked arm and the cloak. For the arm, a way smaller brush is required. For the cloak, and this is why these two, be careful not go over the edge, as I did a bit. The gold on the bottom is optional to be camouflaged - I made it black.
Stage Four.jpg
After this, proceed onto the rest of the body and the top right corner - I think it's his hood. Here's what I came up with, using random patterns and at times changing the size of the brush. I never changed the colours or transparency though.
Stage Five.jpg
I camouflaged the rifle - just to camouflage him completely, which is usually unnecessary, but in this I want to. Simply change to a medium-small brush, start off with green and finish with brown.
Stage Six.jpg
You're done with painting!

Step Three - Converting & Viewing

After saving your project, open up WarCraft 3 Viewer again. Go to Convert, and press BMP, TGA, JPG -> BLP.
Converting.jpg If any messages pop up, simply press OK. Remember to save him somewhere findable.
Then, open up your WE, make a new map, import the BLP file, rename it to Units\Human\Rifleman\Rifleman.blp and save and reopen the map. This is what I got:
Final.jpg

I hope this tutorial helped you.
~Belgarath.