• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Call of the Swarm

Level 22
A particularly weird one: I'd just restarted the campaign from the menu, saved and quit just after skipping the prologue, and when I reloaded (without changing anything to the files) it told me the save was on a different version.

Notice board ping should show the northen one too.

Scolopendra's Infest tooltip just reads "On death".

Southern library wall needs to be plugged or be made destructible, units still try to go through the invincible rocks.

Proof of Guilty -> Proof of Guilt

After Xorrax says "Hivelord...", Zara's line is untranslated.

Leaving grotto:
The priest's line should trigger on the map change, or he should be teleported if the player uses his hearthstone without triggering the line.
Hearthstone hint still mentions the hearthstone item.

On returning to the captain and priest: prepaed -> prepared

Sewer labs:

Obelisks of commerce: 2 +1 STR items, but one costs 150 gold and the other 50?

Riddles:
Riddles don't have a sender (one of them starts with ":" but has no name in front).
"entities DERRO" -> "entities of DERRO"
When finished, Xorrax should say "I need to", not "You need to".

Drossed Mass -> ?

Alchemy:
Midnight + Restoration recipe appears twice.
After completing the potion, the hint is untranslated.

Teleporter might be bugged, there were several times when a unit was told to go to the other side and went through it instead and stopped moving.

Lurker message: thick -> depths

"answer to the riddle must be in the same language" -> ?

Second Azorgras riddle: isn't it
ton
? I've tried that in lowercase, uppercase, with the British spelling, but nothing's happening.
General + Grotto:
  • Hmm... Strange error, I'd try to figure out what is that...
  • In some sort I agree with you, but northern notice board doesn't have anything "interesting" like quests, only flavor items. Maybe after releasing a new project I'll add an "generated notices" to those boards;
  • Fix it;
  • Thank you for your complain - I'll fix it;
  • Fix it;
  • Strange things, but I'll check it up;
  • About priest - I'll think about it;
  • Strange, fix it;
Dross:
  • Fix it;
  • Ha-ha, some sort of undeclared trolling... Fix it;
  • Does it... Ah, fix it;
  • Fix it;
  • Translation error -> fix it;
  • I know and I'll fix it;
  • Hm... Change it;
  • Sometimes yes, but try to slowly teleport them, because he, yeah, can bug. Although I'll try to figure out about it;
  • Change it;
  • Mean in the same language as that hint written;
  • no, it's a NOT (not) :D

Level 28
Riddle: in that case the riddle should be
Backwards I'm heavy, forwards I'm not
, because the current wording only make sense if the answer is
ton

Charades: Related to the above, personally I think the charades should be done via dialogs with multiple choices for each one, because a mistake in spelling or grammar in the riddle itself brings the whole thing to a screeching halt.

Case in point:
CONUDRUM->CONUNDRUM

Obelisks message: ETERNAL -> ETERNITY, OUR RIGHT WAY -> THE RIGHT WAY(?)

Maybe have the obelisks use a different "activated" animation, when the light keep fading in and out it's hard to keep track.

During their reunion, Xorrax's attack was directed to his scorpid before he turned to the priest.

Killed a lever guarded by golems, but the gate still won't open and there's nothing left to kill. Even tried clearing away all the trees with flame strike. What now?

Level 22
Riddle: in that case the riddle should be
Backwards I'm heavy, forwards I'm not
, because the current wording only make sense if the answer is
ton

Charades: Related to the above, personally I think the charades should be done via dialogs with multiple choices for each one, because a mistake in spelling or grammar in the riddle itself brings the whole thing to a screeching halt.

Case in point:
CONUDRUM->CONUNDRUM

Obelisks message: ETERNAL -> ETERNITY, OUR RIGHT WAY -> THE RIGHT WAY(?)

Maybe have the obelisks use a different "activated" animation, when the light keep fading in and out it's hard to keep track.

During their reunion, Xorrax's attack was directed to his scorpid before he turned to the priest.

Killed a lever guarded by golems, but the gate still won't open and there's nothing left to kill. Even tried clearing away all the trees with flame strike. What now?
Riddle:
  • Ah... In that way I could agree with you, but it's not my riddle - I found it in Internet, maybe on some children riddle site :D And I tooked answer from them, so... But if your suggestions clear and I agree with you;
  • I got you :D 1 letter and answer maybe unclear and player can "fuck this shit!" after milliena tries of typing an answer. I fix it;
  • Will fix it;
  • That mini-game is full of mess, because sometimes you can't properly complete it, but currently I dunno what have to do with it. But I agree with you about animation;
  • Attack?.. Ah, you're talking about animation... I'll try to fix it;
  • Did you kill Force Field Generator (a "Magic Generator" - unit in iron gate room)? If magic gate doesn't open after it - bug.

Level 22
I didn't see any generator. There was a room that was empty though, but even throwing a Flame Strike there didn't do anything.
Really? Strange...
Generator.png

Level 22
Yep, nothing there unless it's invisible.

Now that I think about it, I think the big golem came up while I was still at that wooden gate on the right but then turned back, and the door was already open when I got to it.
Iron gates open only after you've used level decoration. Wooden - after destruction. Magic - after destroying force field generators or after other conditions... Otherwise I'll try to fix it and post a new fixed version as soon as possible.

Level 28
Grotto:
You can't adjust dialogue speed before the first cutscene.
I suggest disabling the camera adjust when typing the obelisk's message because it keeps setting the distance to 0. Maybe have a message (i.e. "the obelisk is reacting, but not in the right order, praise the Almighty!") if you type the syllables in the wrong order.
Lakeboss works now, including being attacked by melee units (is it supposed to have multiple heads at one time though?), but maybe have its Sprouts die when it does.

Qiraji Crystal: Only triggers when you go up a level? Really?

Portal still doesn't open when the priest says it does. Maybe use a looping SFX during the boss fight and replace it with the portal after?

Sewer:
Dialog speed is untranslated.
No quests appear in the log, including the main one.
Weird bug during the minidungeon: the bottom-right gate was passable despite being closed. Killed it and everything went as normal.
Riddles: There should be a sound that plays to let you know when you can start typing, sometimes I entered the word two or three times before it registered. Same for charades.
Hint for Level 4's Sewer Lurker is untranslated.
I think clicking all the fire obelisks together turns them off, I got the "-solve" hint shortly after.
Not sure about the "side quest won't appear in the quest log", because it's all too easy for information to get drowned out by other messages in the log.
Protector of Nature's and Granite Guardian's initial message is untranslated, the death message is fine.
Defeat message (probably "Xorrax has been killed") is untranslated.
"Something bridged somewhere" -> ?
Sun-faced Virgin or Virgo?
Keeper Servants doesn't update as you kill them, only at the end.
At the start of the boss fight, the priest is right in front of the Keeper before being moved back. The Keeper starts the fight looking backwards.
Scorpid lost during cinematic.
At the end all three are placed very close together.
"received my sight" -> "received a vision"
The warning about leaving one inventory slot empty should come just before the final bossfight instead of the beginning of the final level.
Can't find the last Sewer Lurker, where is he?

No quest update after the transition.
There's an item with no name and an untranslated description. Icon is a flag, but model is a shimmerweed plant. Possibly because I cheated to get the Arcane Ring from the minigame.
Went up to Zara (had the deathrune on Xorrax), a cinematic started... and it stayed black until I force-quit the game, no dialogue, no image. Not caused by the presence of the shimmerweed flag, I tried it with both.

Last edited:
Level 22
Grotto:
You can't adjust dialogue speed before the first cutscene.
I suggest disabling the camera adjust when typing the obelisk's message because it keeps setting the distance to 0. Maybe have a message (i.e. "the obelisk is reacting, but not in the right order, praise the Almighty!") if you type the syllables in the wrong order.
Lakeboss works now, including being attacked by melee units (is it supposed to have multiple heads at one time though?), but maybe have its Sprouts die when it does.

Qiraji Crystal: Only triggers when you go up a level? Really?

Portal still doesn't open when the priest says it does. Maybe use a looping SFX during the boss fight and replace it with the portal after?

Sewer:
Dialog speed is untranslated.
No quests appear in the log, including the main one.
Weird bug during the minidungeon: the bottom-right gate was passable despite being closed. Killed it and everything went as normal.
Riddles: There should be a sound that plays to let you know when you can start typing, sometimes I entered the word two or three times before it registered. Same for charades.
Hint for Level 4's Sewer Lurker is untranslated.
I think clicking all the fire obelisks together turns them off, I got the "-solve" hint shortly after.
Not sure about the "side quest won't appear in the quest log", because it's all too easy for information to get drowned out by other messages in the log.
Protector of Nature's and Granite Guardian's initial message is untranslated, the death message is fine.
Defeat message (probably "Xorrax has been killed") is untranslated.
"Something bridged somewhere" -> ?
Sun-faced Virgin or Virgo?
Keeper Servants doesn't update as you kill them, only at the end.
At the start of the boss fight, the priest is right in front of the Keeper before being moved back. The Keeper starts the fight looking backwards.
Scorpid lost during cinematic.
At the end all three are placed very close together.
"received my sight" -> "received a vision"
The warning about leaving one inventory slot empty should come just before the final bossfight instead of the beginning of the final level.
Can't find the last Sewer Lurker, where is he?

No quest update after the transition.
There's an item with no name and an untranslated description. Icon is a flag, but model is a shimmerweed plant. Possibly because I cheated to get the Arcane Ring from the minigame.
Went up to Zara (had the deathrune on Xorrax), a cinematic started... and it stayed black until I force-quit the game, no dialogue, no image. Not caused by the presence of the shimmerweed flag, I tried it with both.
Grotto:
  • Fix it;
  • I agree with you, already implemented;
  • About heads - yes, because it's boss is Hydra-like and constantly summon heads or hands to kill you. Also already implemented a sprout dying after killing phase 2 boss;
General:
  • Yes, that item is strange thing and rarely usable, but anyway - I like the concept;
  • About portal - fix it;
Sewer:
  • I checked and only dialog title wasn't translated - fix it;
  • In that subzone player doesn't need any quests, because it's a end of Act 1 and player can't do anything else than completing a subzone :D
  • Fix it;
  • It isn't playing? Bug... I'll try to fix it;
  • Strange, because all quotes are translated - I'll try to figure out what's going on;
  • -solve hint was enabled to you because some mini-game time was passed and you didn't completed mini-game;
  • What do you mean in that?
  • Fix it;
  • Fix it;
  • Eh... I didn't found that quote...
  • Virgo;
  • Because it's not a quest, so update only after completing it, yeah...
  • Fix it;
  • Fix it;
  • Fix it;
  • Updated;
  • Agree, already implemented;
  • Did you use a map cheat? If yes - someone could be found in floating vines near Riddle mini-game;
Hive'Zara:
  • It will update after cinematic;
  • Left from developing stage, can be counted as bug. Already deleted it;
  • Serious bug (because cinematic, called in config trigger, wasn't right) - I already work on quickly release bug-bugfixed version after I post that post.
PS: Released it already.

Level 28
With regards to quests, I think they're good to have because they still give a sense of immersion and help worldbuilding (not to mention reminding players of what they need to do next. I've been replaying this thing a dozen times by now, but first-timers won't be so lucky). Particularly since the other quests were already done in-universe with the narrator explaining why Xorrax did this or that action.
* But if not, the message for killing the optional Keepers should update after killing each one.

"something bridged": when the lone force wall is collapsed.

Sword of Decay should be a cursed item if it reduces your stats when used.

Blacksmith's items should not have a starting cooldown.

Idea: Maybe you could give the noticeboard a function to ping the lair shops once you've rescued them (buyer and alchemist, blacksmith etc.)

Grotto: Couatl boss chest dropped "Random gold/item" placeholders instead of items.

Sewer:
OK, the first Lurker hint is untranslated, regardless of which one is selected. Also I can't find the last one (penultimate means there's one more).

Obelisk bug: sometimes the one used to toggle obelisks don't switch on but the other two do.
-solve should work from the start.

Hive Monsters:
Incubating occoon -> Incubating Coccoon
Last part of the sidequest was untranslated.
Entirety of the final cutscene was untranslated, including the yes/no dialog. Since it ended with a fight to the death, I'm forced to assume Xorrax said the warlock's mother was a crab or something.

Battle Claws has no description or tooltip.

Brume Cave:
Found the totem and started the bossfight, but all timers were untranslated.
After killing his ghost form, I was left with an Invulnerable and heavily damaged skeleton Caliph that was neutral and whose model was not visible (but the portrait was for some reason). Whatever the last timer was, it was stuck on 1:30.
Phatasm -> Phantasm
The lich fight came pretty much out of nowhere. Are you supposed to kill its minions for two minutes (timer was also untranslated)?
Spawning -> Spawn or Spawnling
Blurred Rookery: Should use a different model, and why "blurred"? Also not sure about Rookery, since it's usually used for birds.
Frozen walls are passable.

Rune of Rejuvenation only targets the hero picking up the rune.

Last edited:
Level 22
With regards to quests, I think they're good to have because they still give a sense of immersion and help worldbuilding (not to mention reminding players of what they need to do next. I've been replaying this thing a dozen times by now, but first-timers won't be so lucky). Particularly since the other quests were already done in-universe with the narrator explaining why Xorrax did this or that action.
* But if not, the message for killing the optional Keepers should update after killing each one.

"something bridged": when the lone force wall is collapsed.

Sword of Decay should be a cursed item if it reduces your stats when used.

Blacksmith's items should not have a starting cooldown.

Idea: Maybe you could give the noticeboard a function to ping the lair shops once you've rescued them (buyer and alchemist, blacksmith etc.)

Grotto: Couatl boss chest dropped "Random gold/item" placeholders instead of items.

Sewer:
OK, the first Lurker hint is untranslated, regardless of which one is selected. Also I can't find the last one (penultimate means there's one more).

Obelisk bug: sometimes the one used to toggle obelisks don't switch on but the other two do.
-solve should work from the start.

Hive Monsters:
Incubating occoon -> Incubating Coccoon
Last part of the sidequest was untranslated.
Entirety of the final cutscene was untranslated, including the yes/no dialog. Since it ended with a fight to the death, I'm forced to assume Xorrax said the warlock's mother was a crab or something.

Battle Claws has no description or tooltip.

Brume Cave:
Found the totem and started the bossfight, but all timers were untranslated.
After killing his ghost form, I was left with an Invulnerable and heavily damaged skeleton Caliph that was neutral and whose model was not visible (but the portrait was for some reason). Whatever the last timer was, it was stuck on 1:30.
Phatasm -> Phantasm
The lich fight came pretty much out of nowhere. Are you supposed to kill its minions for two minutes (time was also untranslated)?
Spawning -> Spawn or Spawnling
Blurred Rookery: Should use a different model, and why "blurred"? Also not sure about Rookery, since it's usually used for birds.
Frozen walls are passable.

Rune of Rejuvenation only targets the hero picking up the rune.
General:
  • Heh, thank you for your regard, I'll try to do them feel like Narrator telling you (player) a story from book, that he's reading right now;
  • About keepers in "Downpour" - I agree with your tip (makes sence), I'll add that in next mini-patch;
  • Ah... I'll find it and fix;
  • Cursed Items are items, that gives you some big amount of ATT and negative effect. "Sword of Decay" is lowcore item, usable only in situation when you don't have DMG but you need it anyway. So no;
  • I agree with you - fix it;
  • Hm... Sounds interesting, I think that I should implement it, yeah;
Grotto:
  • Thank you for your report - fix it;
Side Quest "Deadly Hive Monsters":
  • Missed one letter... :D Fix it;
  • Strange... I'll fix it anyway;
  • Oh crap, I totaly forgot about that part of quest... Thank you for your report - I'll translate it anyway!
Brume Cavern:
  • Battle Claws? Item for adds in secret boss fighting? Fix it;
  • I'll translate it;
  • Strange, but I want to clarify - when you took skeleton form for 50% or lower, boss will pause and summon his spirit form to continue fighting. Did a spirit appeared? If not - bug;
  • Fix it;
  • Not for 2 minutes, but for 3 :D Yeah, it's like a Kel'thuzad from WoW Classic fight: phase 1 you fight his minions, phase 2 - himself and in phase 3 additional crypt lords will help boss;
  • Fix it;
  • About "Blurred Rookery" - blurred means that nest is "misty, unreal"; rookery - I used this word because word "nest" or "lair" used to many times;
  • Strange... Fix it;
General - 2:
  • It should be.

Level 28
Rotgut's Enrage timer doesn't go away once he dies.
"MAKE ME BAD" -> "MAKE ME MAD"?
OK, found the "right" way into the lich's place, it's accessible from the left edge of the map.

The spirit appeared, but after I killed it I was left with a big glowing invulnerable thing with the skeleton's portrait. And at one point lightning connected it to the center of the map.

Intro sequence for the campaign should give you the option to change speed before it starts.

Left the cave, went to the map corner with the pass item, and nothing happened.

Level 22
Rotgut's Enrage timer doesn't go away once he dies.
"MAKE ME BAD" -> "MAKE ME MAD"?
OK, found the "right" way into the lich's place, it's accessible from the left edge of the map.

The spirit appeared, but after I killed it I was left with a big glowing invulnerable thing with the skeleton's portrait. And at one point lightning connected it to the center of the map.

Intro sequence for the campaign should give you the option to change speed before it starts.

Left the cave, went to the map corner with the pass item, and nothing happened.
  • Fix it;
  • Maybe "YOU MAKE ME BAD" means that player hurt him bad :D
  • Strange that only one path avaliable to enter lich room... I'll try to figure out of that;
  • Did you killed him with cheats? If yes - boss will bug. If not - he should "return" to skeleton form and start phase 2.5;
  • I'll think about it;
  • What do you mean? You've stuck in Brume Cavern or what?

Level 22
No, there's several paths, it's just that the only hint of the lich's presence is after you kill rotgut.

No, I didn't use cheats while fighting him, but he got stuck in that form.

No, on the Hivezara map. Went to the northeast corner, had the pass... and nothing happened.
  • Lich will comment your presence when you've killed Rotgut or
    Secret Boss
    . So it's not a bug;
  • Hm... Strange things, I'll test him and try to figure out, how to fix him in proper way;
  • Oh... If I understand, you're talking about cave near Brume Cavern enterance? Its just a dummy, nothing else.

Level 22
Once you're back from the sewer, and given the passport, where are you supposed to go? I went to the corner of the map (where the game starts after the prologue, that has a force wall), isn't that it?
Currently no content forward, because current version have only Act 1 with 4 maps in it (1 main and 3 subzones, in next version I'll add some new and after it I'll start develop a Act 2).

Level 28
Overall, it's good. No game-breaking bugs (or at least, not anymore), story's interesting...

My main complaint is the phrasing which can be unclear sometimes, especially the use of similar-but-not-quite-the-same terms.

I still don't get the point of the negative tomes. If there was a tradeoff somehow (like the cursed coins that give you money when your stats go down), but as-is they just waste space that could have been taken by a more useful item drop.

Given the number of items that cause permanent stat loss, there should be a shop that sells nothing but stat boosts even if it's hidden away.

Speaking of which: I never used cursed items, but is it possible that a player could end up stuck because their six slots are filled with cursed items and they can't pick up the plot item? Might need an NPC who removes cursed items.

There are some aspects I liked but I thought could have been used more. For instance, if the noticeboards contained new information whenever you returned from a submap or advanced the main quest, or the "give X item to Y for a better reward". Or if all the quests were commented on by the narrator. It's not a "game is bad without it" criticism, but it would help with worldbuilding.

The grotto has some pathing issues that make it annoying given how often you need to backtrack from one corner to the other.

I would like it if you could keep a second hero throughout the game, because six inventory slots isn't a lot. Maybe if you did the Warlock's quest first or something, even without saying anything during cutscenes (cough*Rexxar hallucinating Rokhan and Chen because they never talk*cough).

There is one feature I suspect was unintended, but it was quite useful: item acquisition range is basically the entire map. It saved a lot of time during fetch quests, but maybe you don't want that to be the case.

Level 22
Overall, it's good. No game-breaking bugs (or at least, not anymore), story's interesting...

My main complaint is the phrasing which can be unclear sometimes, especially the use of similar-but-not-quite-the-same terms.

I still don't get the point of the negative tomes. If there was a tradeoff somehow (like the cursed coins that give you money when your stats go down), but as-is they just waste space that could have been taken by a more useful item drop.

Given the number of items that cause permanent stat loss, there should be a shop that sells nothing but stat boosts even if it's hidden away.

Speaking of which: I never used cursed items, but is it possible that a player could end up stuck because their six slots are filled with cursed items and they can't pick up the plot item? Might need an NPC who removes cursed items.

There are some aspects I liked but I thought could have been used more. For instance, if the noticeboards contained new information whenever you returned from a submap or advanced the main quest, or the "give X item to Y for a better reward". Or if all the quests were commented on by the narrator. It's not a "game is bad without it" criticism, but it would help with worldbuilding.

The grotto has some pathing issues that make it annoying given how often you need to backtrack from one corner to the other.

I would like it if you could keep a second hero throughout the game, because six inventory slots isn't a lot. Maybe if you did the Warlock's quest first or something, even without saying anything during cutscenes (cough*Rexxar hallucinating Rokhan and Chen because they never talk*cough).

There is one feature I suspect was unintended, but it was quite useful: item acquisition range is basically the entire map. It saved a lot of time during fetch quests, but maybe you don't want that to be the case.
  • About phrases - when I translate quote from russian, I try to translate by myself and if I can't find properly word, I use something like Google Translate. Thats the reason of all those "downpour", "dross", "sewer" - synonyms with each other, but I wanted to describe them differently, eh.
  • Negative tomes? In current implemention they have small amount of sence and I want to change them in next version 1.2, so yeah - selling player a "-1 to STR" stuff seems like a mess;
  • Althought, permanent loss of stats should be rare situation, not like current. I'll think how to fix it;
  • Item with "Cursed" insignia usable only in one situation - you strongly need a stat boost and you can forgive an "negative effect". But I agree with you - those items shouldn't be restricted and player should able to drop them;
  • About notice boards - in next version 1.2 they will recieve some upgrades. Otherwise thank you for your suggestion about notice boards and narrotor commenting - I'll think about it;
  • Grotto isn't a friendly place, huh? :D I'll try to fix it anyway;
  • Currently Xorrax will continue his journey alone. But I think that in next acts he would find some new friends, temporary or not;
  • That feature isn't a feature afterall - I use it to avoid some messy bugs :D
Anyway, thank you for your suggestions and tips! For me it was a nice reading and good ideas that I like to implement :D

PS: Oh, I forgot - did you find out a secret hero?

Level 22
In version 1.2:
  • New 2+ small subzones to discover: Travel deeper in Brume Cavern to discover secrets in depth or visit new caves, hidden in Hive'Zara!
  • 15+ new items for collection: from standart "+Stat" to something game-changing;
  • 2+ side quests, used only in subzones. And all side tasks of all subzones will mark as side quests;
  • Balance fixing, new specialization(?) and more...
New information of version would be released after releasing a new campaign in HIVE (about all-known story, but in different genre).
Stay tuned!

The Nightmare Book (Hush)

Level 22
So in new version 1.2, called "Dissension", you can find some new quests in Hive'Zara too!
Here's brief summary for some of them:
Note that some quests names are temporary and marked like these
  • "Save our Lifes!" - when Xorrax saves alchemist, after some time (~1-2 real minutes) he will be able to start alchemist quest, in which alchemist wants to improve his "Life-Saving Potion", but he doesn't have some ingredients. Yeah, you need to find them ALL.
  • "Bandit Plague" - Hive'Zara sheriff can post a message in all notice boards, trying to find some volunteers who want stop bandits reign in Hive. Beware, because the deeper you dive into the mud, the harder it is for you to wash off it. And remember kids - don't trust anyone, even yourself.
Only 2 new quests, but there will be more!

Sincerely

Level 22
Another day, another devlog.

Overall

In new version 1.2 you'll discover new 5+ subzones, recieve new quests in Hive'Zara, unlock "quest bags" and "story book" systems. Also you'll able to gain brand new 20+ items and play as new 1+ specialization for Xorrax.
Let's briefly discuss all of that features, because futuremore you'll recieve more info about anything from it here, in that thread!

SUBZONES

• All new subzones are used in side quests, so they wouldn't be encountered if you don't want to complete side quests;
  • Many of new subzones are small in size, but contains secrets that could be used in other subzones. For example, "Bloomgrove" (subzone, enterance to which hidden in "Brume Cavern" subzone) contain many mushrooms, because they are used in alchemist quest. But it contains a story book too, that needed for another quest, hidden in "Sunken Grotto" subzone;
  • Beneath subzones, that used in side quests, you can go to new subzone that unlocks after you've completed main quest line and all side quests in Hive'Zara (doesn't encount new side quest, only already existant), but in that subzone you'll discover another, that need to be unlocked by resolving some secrets;
  • All new subzones contain treasures: chests, that need to be hjacked, new champion enemies or even bosses.

SYSTEMS

• In version 1.2 your main hero will recieve invisible bags, that used to contain quest items or more. You can't control them manually, so you need to know, that you'll recieve almostly 2 bags - for local and global quests. Local bag contains quest items that used in playing map and doesn't transfere with you. Global bag contains quest items that used in quests that are transferes with you from map to map. Also some quests would have another bags for them only, but details later;
  • Story books is dialog-menu books: you click on item and game opens a menu, where player can choose which page he wants to read. In Act 1 Xorrax could find 8 books, all of them are need for special quest in Sunken Grotto.

QUESTS & ITEMS

• Because of new subzones, you'll recieve new side quests for them or not. Some of them hidden until you've discovered some NPC for Hive'Zara, another avaliable after completing first main quest;
  • About items I can say only 1 thing - I trying to create more specific item with strange equip or use effects. For example, "Advisor Ring" would whisper you some hints, determined for situation;
  • Also 1 more thing - no cringe (-STAT) books more.

...XORRAX?

• Nothing about new specializations. More information later.

Sincerely

dont trust anyone, they can

Last edited:
Level 22
Small, but reasonable additions in version 1.2 will be too.
  • All events like Bandit Camps, Monster Lairs etc was changed a bit - their spawn timer now restricted to selected game difficulty, so on "Hard" you'll faster encount new enemies, but on "Easy" they wouldn't appear fast;
  • In "Hive'Zara" map you'll find new units - beggars. Beggars spawns in any of 12 regions and you can give them some gold coins, not only for cleaning your sins and "thank you kind sir"-line. They can be used in some darker things;
  • Also you'll encount a priest - new trader NPC, who will sell some priest-themed Hero Items. Also in 1.2 items will be divided into 3 "categories" by obtaining: from "world", boss only or by "NPC interaction".

Level 22
What can I say about new specializations? Not too much.
But here's a brief list for planned and particulary created Xorrax specs.
Not that their name are WIP, so could be changed in release:
  1. Hivecaller - Specialization, similiar to Balance Druid & Shaman from World of Warcraft. Mastering a sound energy, Xorrax could use a special summons to increase his own power. Your spells will recieve atleast 4 different effects depending on your active "Call". Ultimate will be a costly one, but greatly buffing you, your summons and spells for some time;
  2. Merchant - After leaving home, Xorrax traveled with trade caravans and learned how to earn profit from trading. It's a specialization, that uses a power of money to achive new glories. Your special spell will unlock to you some other type of game - how to beat a campaign with small amount of kills.
Of course it's not the end of highlights about new version, but I hope that you'd enjoy it!
Stay tuned!

Level 22
Today we will talk about bosses and their changes, also I'll tell you about some special bosses, that coming in v1.2 "Dissension".

GENERAL

• All bosses in campaign recieved their themed boss loot - from uncommon to epic items, that can be recieved only from bosses. For example "Animated Chain Necklace" have a special effect: when item hero dies, his spirit raises and continues to fight for 8 seconds, giving you a some "last breath" moment, but after it hero will die;
  • Also when your heroes defeats bosses, you'll see a "boss reward" message, featuring what heroes killed boss, which boss and where he was, and his loot;
  • General amount of bosses has been increased by 10%. For example a Anubisath Guardians, that you encount when visiting a Data-Disk for first time, now considered as bosses, so they recieved a berserk timer and some mechanics. Also map "Hive'Zara" will recieve a new secret boss, that could be encountered in 2 specific ways;
  • Now Boss Stats will diversify by game difficulty: on "Easy" you'll encount less chalengeble bosses, even some mechanics would be disabled, but on "Hard" they'd recieve STAT bonuses & new mechanics;
  • Some bosses will recieve a updates or complete remastering, so lets go to next part of highlight - "special"!

SPECIAL

• As example I want to choose a secret boss from "Ata'ir Crystal", that currently have a two-phased battle: skeleton & ghost phases. But in v1.2 he will be replaced with special, CUSTOMABLE, boss - "Soulforged Golem". His main feature - he'd be founded as inactive golem, that sleeps near Sacrificing Totem. Here you will find a "Soulforge" - special boss summon system, where you donate a souls of killed champions (not only from Brume Cavern, but from others too) to give him some special abilities. He also have his general spells, but boss fight will start when you donate atleast 1 champion soul to "Soulforge", so Golem will awake and fight begins.
  • After you kill "Soulforged Golem", you can summon him... again! And again! Yes, you can kill him as many times as you want, but remember - more donated souls - more loot from boss - more powerfull boss. Also you don't need worry about souls - all donated souls already added into "souls library", where you can choose which soul you'll use in next Soulforged Golem fight;

• And next & last example (I can't tell you about ALL new bosses) is "Arena". Why "Arena"? Well, when you enter a boss encounter zone, you'll see 4 gates and a Arena Master, that immediatly starts a fight. Fight can be divided into 2 phases: surviving & boss.
  • Survive phase starts immediately after Arena Master finish his speech and you need to survive 1.5-2 minutes, killing waves of weak but different each fight, enemy types;
  • Boss phase starts after survive phase and you need to fight a random-selected boss from special pull. You can discover which boss you'll fight in your game session by finding a "Arena Schedule" somewhere in subzone. Also boss loot diversify by each boss in "Arena Schedule".

...MORE?

• That's all. You can post your ideas about bosses or something else in new update right here, in that theme! I'll gladly read your suggestions and tips!

Level 22
And one of last dev diaries will be about balance and non-significant changes in "Call of the Swarm" campaign.
Here brief look through small changes:
  • Now player could manipulate game camera by using camera spellbook, hidden in "Additional Spells" spellbook. There you can increase or decrease camera height, reset it to standard values (usually 2200) or turn camera. That will help player ignore situation when his game camera "gone down" when he wrote something;
  • Some "Additional Spells" changed too. For example "Pick Lock" - now you could break closed not only random-generated chest, but quest or NPC chests too;
  • Also all heroes will recieve new spells called "traits/talents". That spells could help player in someway, like hunter's "Frost Trap" or devourer's "Vampiric Bite" spells. Additionaly, some old specialization has suffered some hero spell changes like replace Silithid Blackguard's "Sinister Strike" with "Backstab"
  • And yes - Xorrax from now can
    commit suicide
    . I don't know why you'd ever use that spell, but from now you can, yeah...
And balance changes:
  • Xorrax's "Hearthstone" will teleport ALL heroes to Hive'Zara Lair;
  • Scaling system was completely deleted for all elite & non-elite enemies. Boss units will remain their own "difficulty scaling" system;
  • All hero spell manacost was greatly reduced, because you can't use them when you need it because "NOT ENOUGH MANA";
  • Majority of hero DMG spell formulas will check noted STAT in spell description;
  • Overall DMG of hero spells was slightly increased to prevent "soft-lock" situation on bosses;
  • Hive'Zara Lair will recieve a invisible fountain-like unit, slowly restoring HP & MP of your units when you're in Lair;
  • No more heroes with "Hero" attack type. Only "Normal" or "Ranged", like in ROC;
  • Same above concern NPC & Enemy units too;
  • Some droppable runes, gold coins or books will drop rarely;
  • Some enemy champion units wouldn't be enabled until you finished some requiements, that they need.

Level 22
Today we would talk about Quests and their changes.

QUESTS GENERAL CHANGES

• My idea was to add more immersion and player choices in quests, so player could have different quest situations, that varies by his own choice. Current quest "Accursed Lord" is a perfect example where one quest requirement changes by player progress: what's your answer to quatermaster "task"? You can agree and bring him a pet worm, you can disagree and then he will take from some gold for "exchange" (if you don't have money, you'll do his task), and you can bring him a beer keg to drink with him, and he will give you your quest item.

So in new version, many quests become more user-friendly:
  • First of all, new quest "Life-Guarding Potion" could be completed even before you find out an alchemist him self! You can find all ingredients that would be needed, then free alchemist, wait for quest enabling and turn it on immediately;
  • Secondly, you can encounter situations where your Priest Hero in main questline dies from bosses, monsters or even you killed him by your self. Currently it breaks the game and you can't finish many quests "in proper way", but not in version 1.2: now priest will be "knocked down", when his HP reaches 10% and become invincible for some time, but after that he'll restore some of his HP & MP and continue fighting;
  • Thirdly, all current "secret quests" are implemented as quests, so in v1.2 you can go to "Zaq'Azh Manor" by her quest "Fall of the House of Zaq'Azh", so player could complete Act 1 for 100%, if he want to do it, yeah.
That's only examples of my understanding of "quest user-friendly". Let's talk about more rewarding feature - quest rewards.

QUEST REWARD CHANGES

• Not too much changes: current system is acceptable and I'll just add more special items, that could diversify you game session;
  • When you completed main quests, you'll be able to select reward from special item pool, like in many RPG's. That will help you for proper character building, so you wouldn't recieve only boss or merchant rewards.

P.S: I wanted to describe more, but I stopped myself: @The Nightmare Book, when last version of "Call of the Swarm" was released? In 22.05.2021. So I listened and started to develop new version faster. So, maybe, that devpost of v1.2 will be last, maybe not.
Anyway, thank you for your reading!
If you want to admit, change or criticize something - please, don't be afraid, post it here!

Sincerely,
@The Nightmare Book

Level 22
And I thought that there'll no more devposts after last one, but THAT thing I need to show up before version release.
I call it "Hive Evolution".

HIVE EVOLUTION

This is a system, that used to describe your progress in campaign act. And it's influnce are HUGE.

For example you start a Act 1: very beginning of Xorrax lifestory.
You'll enter the Hive on traders caravan, because it's faster than on your own. What do you see in Hive? Many beggars, small amount of lifeforce, declining. Also it's rains, yeah.
You've completed your first quest and already start to notice, that amount of beggars are slowly decreasing. You start completing quests and see, that Hive from now have its own trader, where you can buy new fancy items. Also a priest visited you, because his Order recieved a message about growing worshipper community.
Life in Hive'Zara slowly begans and you already recieved your first outputs - locals will start to pay more for their quests, less bandits are spawning or you've encountered new elite enemies.

But you may ask: "Dear lord, I need to grind up local monsters to complete your act? Are you serious?"
I'll answer: "No, just play it. You'll see that local silithid hive starts to develop without your help, but you can increase its evolution speed."

Let me tell you ALL things, that have their influence on Hive Evolution (positive or negative):
  1. Your Lumber. From new version, lumber will be replaced with "biomass", that need for Hive Evolution. You'll recieve it from, well, from any living creatures like worms, spiders or sludge monsters! You can convert it to Hive Evolution in special "Spawning Grounds" for Hive Evolution;
  2. Quests. Completing quests will increase Hive Evolution, so you'll unlock new settlement features. Even decisions in quest have their impact on Hive Evolution reward;
  3. NPC Saving. Saving specific or random NPC will increase Hive Evolution;
  4. Donating. When you donate to beggar or priest, you'll increase Hive Evolution. Beggars are spawning on game start or under other conditions, priest spawns after specific Hive Evolution Points. Don't worry, payment is rather symbollic - 1 gold;
  5. Hive itself. Silithids will constatly breed, creating new larvas. Each morning some of them are morphs into eggs, after which they became childs. And then cycle repeats once more, creating new silithids for Hive. Also Hive could interact with "outside" world, creating hunters, that will start to farm local animals for food & Hive Evolution Points. Also Hive mines gold, yeah. If you want to recieve addtional gold reward, let miners mine gold;
  6. Bandits - killing bandits will slowly increase HE, but co-operating (yes you can) decreases;
  7. Allies - Killing allies will slowly decrease HE;
  8. Monsters (Player 11) - Killing elites, bosses or monster lairs will increase Hive Evolution. Note that killing dungeon elites, lairs or bosses, doesn't affect Hive;
  9. Questgivers - yes, some NPC could personally increase or decrease Hive Evolution income.
Also I changed a market item spawn rates: now all trade NPC recieve updates each afternoon.

That's all, folks! More information you'll find yourself, if you want.

PS: Below you can watch some screenshots about new version.

Attachments

• Version 1.2 - 00.png
    Version 1.2 - 00.png
    663.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Version 1.2 - 01.png
    Version 1.2 - 01.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 47
  • Version 1.2 - 02.png
    Version 1.2 - 02.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
  • Version 1.2 - 03.png
    Version 1.2 - 03.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 50
  • Version 1.2 - 04.png
    Version 1.2 - 04.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 47
  • Version 1.2 - 05.png
    Version 1.2 - 05.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 46
  • Version 1.2 - 06.png
    Version 1.2 - 06.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 45
  • Version 1.2 - 07.png
    Version 1.2 - 07.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 47
  • Version 1.2 - 09.png
    Version 1.2 - 09.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 51
  • Version 1.2 - 08.png
    Version 1.2 - 08.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 56
Level 22
Cool concept! Maybe on other maps you could have something like a outpost that needs defending and evolving grants better defenses and units, making it easier to defend.

"Pay Respect - Pay selected beggar his respectful reward" -> This one doesn't really make sense. What is the reward for? Why respectful?
  • Interestring concept! I thought that I should add a hive defense feature, but that will be more appropriate in other acts. But I like the idea about "evolving" base, maybe will use in other survival map.
  • You pay him a respect, donation, whatever. You just do "good thing" - charity, that rewards Hive with it's Hive Evolution. Beggars will spawn mostly on game start, so you'll encount them mainly in first game part. They'll slowly disappear after some HE value. Note that Hive could be determined as "poor" if beggars seen often than normal unit. Also hive adults could transform into beggars if Hive gold reserves are low or 0.

Level 22
Maybe it's a late to post something today, but I want to share with you some specific information about LORE in my campaign.

If you a warcraft lore-fan and played my campaign, you may notice serious changes in history of qiraji, silithid and Old Gods at all, so you could recognize my campaign "lore-wise".
So for those people and anybody who likes to read some big texts, I want to share with you my adaptation of World of Warcraft Old Gods Lore just in that post. Under spoiler, of course.

Also I tried to add some arts, that may help you to recognize some situations better.
Enough prologue, enjoy reading!

"Initially, Azeroth was a battlefield of various elementals that fought for no apparent reason.

The coming of the Old Gods or Shatyars shocked the world. With the help of their wicked magic, they subdued the planet and created the "Sacred Empire of Shatyar" - the first and so far the last empire of the Void on Azeroth.

The empire itself was rather a confederation under the rule of absolute monarchs - the Old Gods. They gave birth to two races - intelligent N'raqi for management and weak-willed Aqirs for service. The former occupied all the ruling posts, and the latter were de facto slaves. The elementals obeyed the N'raqi.

The invasion of the Titans defeated the Black Empire, and the gods themselves were hidden in dungeons - for "experiments". The Titans created the "First Republic" - a democracy designed to protect the world's population. In fact, it served only as an apparatus of repression against the disaffected.

The collapse of the empire called for a rise in self-awareness among the Aqirs. The Titans responded with genocide, driving the survivors into forced lethargy. Over time, the "Republic" disappeared, and from it new races were born, building their own states.

The years of oblivion of the civilization of the Old Gods passed. But there was a hero - Grand Marshal Kith'ix, a N'raqi warlord of the old years, who decided to revive the Black Empire, referring to de jure status. Proclaiming himself "the people's leader", he managed to recapture most of the lands, but died in battles against the united forces of the trolls.

The newly formed "Union State of Shatyar" collapsed: local leaders took power, the number of aqirs, and their unity was decreasing. Bandits start to reign upon former empire lands, and many years was wasted to defeat them.
At the same time, as one of main post-union states, "People's Republic of Az'Aqir" arose - an attempt by idealists to create an equal society for all the children of the Old Gods, which perished in the flame of the putsch.

The putschists proclaimed a regency council, which must rule before "finding a worthy monarch." De jure, the council dissolves and returns the republic after 20 years of unsuccessful searches, but it still exists.

Several hundred years have passed since the collapse of the "Second Empire". The Aqir people disappeared, spawning the Silithids, Qiraji, Nerubians, Mantids, and many other races on Azeroth.
The Kingdom of Az'Aqir is in a serious crisis: a long war with the neighboring Tolvir caliphate, external isolation and internal repression are destroying the country.
Will the country overcome its current challenges?
After all, an even bloodier war looms on the horizon…"

If you readed text, you've noticed some bold-themed state names. Later today or tomorrow I'll add to that post a file with states, that somehow described or can be encounted in campaign.

Thanks for reading!
Stay tuned.
The Nightmare Book.

Attachments

• CThunPreHistory.jpg
    CThunPreHistory.jpg
    586.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Zon'ozz_TCG.jpg
    Zon'ozz_TCG.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 694751-ahnqiraj-the-fallen-kingdom-in-the-morning.jpg
    694751-ahnqiraj-the-fallen-kingdom-in-the-morning.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 25
Level 22
New version testing is already started, so I think that I'll post it in the coming days, really.
But recently I changed a bit my "Hive Evolution" system, added new things like:
  • When I started testing new version, I noticed that Hive'Zara doesn't have life in it - small amounts of larvas, childs, guards etc. So I added a building spawnpool, like spawning Creep Colonies, used as farms, Spine/Spore Crawlers like stationary defence from ground/air units and more zerg-fashioned buildings. Even Infested Gold Mines included;
  • But buildings isn't last addition - when you travel through main map, your could encount Hive'Zara hunters - special silithids, who farms all enemy units for biomass. And you can hire them - just give some gold and hunter will fight for you! But be careful - when hive member dies, he reduces Hive Evolution value by 1-5 points, which could harm Hive'Zara prosperity and progress;
  • Some silithid types could "re-morph" into another. For example when Hive have enough guards, some of them could transform into silithid hunters and vice versa. I think it'll add more diversity in your game session;

That's not all what I want to share with you, but I think that I shared the most interesting and notable things in Hive Evolution system.

Level 22
In nearest hours I'll post a new version and update that post.
Currently I finishing some small content and will start print changelog.
So stay tuned!

EDIT:
76 backups, started developing in May - finished in November.
Current state of v1.2 isn't finished - I'll add some additional content like spec-unique quests, bandit tasks or remastered chest system later.

But now I think I'll finish my unfeatured RPG map about…
Eh, I'll tell you in coming days what she about.

Stay safe, enjoy your life.
Sincerely, Nightmare Book (Hush).

Last edited:
Level 22
After such long time passed from releasing Act 1, I decided to start actively developing Act 2 with name "On the Az'Aqir Winds" and small Act 2.5 "Uldum War".
Names aren't final, but already enough time passed from my words "Act 2 will released soon".

From today, I'll try to inform you with new series of development posts, related to new act. Also soon I'll add an media album, where I'll dublicate all terrain/doodad progress.
More story information later, but for now: Final dialog betwheen Xorrax & Hivelord Zara will be tweaked and player will be sent to Capital to find Hivelords friend and tell him about titanborn insurgency, but nearly from start Xorrax will become a witness of murder of whom he aware most…

Who is victim? Who is killer? And how ever police didn't managed to stop him? This questions will be your main…
For first period of time in Act 2 "On the Az'Aqir Winds".

Level 22
"Az'Aqir or Ahn'Qiraj - once a prison for God of Chaos, later reconquered by "Second Empire" and rebuilded into prominent city. Now, in Kingdom without King, it already faced scarns of war.

But it still remained it's charm - divided into 4 districts: TRADE, OLD TOWN, TEMPLE and SLUM, city opens for visitor as remaining of something ancient and mysterious. Locals aren't friendly ones, but if you manage to friend someone - you'll friend entire city.
However looming war has increased bandits presence in Az'Aqir - noone knows even one day without murder, corruption or rob incidents. Regent's regime is corrupted and doesn't want to relax it's gasps, inspiring underground idealists to work on their downfall…

…Welcome to city where Sun awakes, city under All-seeing Gaze. Welcome to Az'Aqir."

…That's a story remark about our today development post!
As you see, today I want to share something about Ahn'Qiraj or Az'Aqir, city in which Act 2 will mostly be.

However currently all things are ALPHA, so not too much information:
  • City will be divided into 3 playable maps: main one with "TRADE DISTRICT" and "OLD TOWN", separate map "TEMPLE OF AZ'AQIR" and separate map "SLUM";
  • On main map you will start your new storyline and try answer question, which in mentioned in post above;
  • Act 2 will feature at least 10+ new playable maps without counting main one and separate city maps: travel into hideous bandit lairs, explore caverns under Aggdrassil, Withered Tree and more!
  • Currently I'm working on main map with 2 city districts in it and I have small teasers (still ALPHA) for them;
That's all, folks!
Screenshots are attached to post and soon I'll also create special album about v1.5 development.
See ya next time, cya!

Attachments

• Version 1.5 Devpost #1-1.png
    Version 1.5 Devpost #1-1.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • Version 1.5 Devpost #1-2.png
    Version 1.5 Devpost #1-2.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • Version 1.5 Devpost #1-3.png
    Version 1.5 Devpost #1-3.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • Version 1.5 Devpost #1-4.png