• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Bugs after loading saved game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
I am curious about the bugs, that can occure, when loading a saved game. I read about it in this thread:
Warcraft 3 patch wish list
Fix bugs after loading a saved game (periodic timers being changed to non-periodic, accessing array index 8191 crashing the game, spell book ability's contained abilities getting reset to level 1)

But since I did not find any more information on it, I ask here.

I am especially interested in the first one, because I am thinking of adding periodic timers to my map and it is necessary, that saving the game works.
I did a short test, but the bug didn't occure, so I am wondering when this happens and how one should deal with it this problem.

If you know of any other problems concerning saving and loading, please let me know.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

I do not believe you should rely on WC3's Save Game mechanic. It often bugs or even crashes. I would use a save system for saving needed details. Even in maps that don't corrupt saves on purpose and are not even that complex (like Roguelike) the game can crash upon loading. Just one of those things Blizzard failed to code and never bothered to fix.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
That's bad, but I don't know how to avoid using blizzard's save system.
My map is basically a blizzard style campaign, but it has a lot more triggers than the blizzard campaigns. I don't know how I would go about saving it with a save/load system.
I would have to save tons of data and even then it won't work well, because you can't save buffs (keeping their duration) or cooldowns for example.
I am afraid, that I have no choice, but to use blizzard's system. The map has a lot more things to save than let's say a RPG.
I think I can avoid using periodic timers and changing them to non-periodic, if that solves the timer problem.
Debuffs cannot be avoided obviously.

Anyway thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.