• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

broken Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello, I have a perfectly normal stereo track .mp3 file,
i added it to the map
and it sounds broken both as sound and music

what could be the problem? how can i fix it?

Level 7
ok solved
have to use project sample rate 24000.. and bit rate 24.
seems like getting project sample rate higher would fail for me at any bit rate

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The sound technology behind WC3 is probably very primitive by todays standards. Today all Windows operating systems since Vista force resampling of all audio channels from applications to a standard output rate and precision (configurable per adapter) and then mixes them together to produce the audio out, solving mixing, audio device sharing and driver stability problems which were notoriously a problem with sound drivers.

This was not the case back when WC3 was made where the game needed to use a third party library to manage sound driver interfacing which might have imposed other restrictions or requirements. As such WC3 might have very fixed bitrate and sample rate requirements as it might not be able to mix them together under certain circumstances.

When replacing in game music files with custom imported music files be aware that the bitrate and sample rate are determined by the slk entry for the music. If it does not match those of the track being replaced WC3 will fail to play it at all.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I see. This is so incredible, can I know which specific SLK file contains the information for the bitrate and sample rate
I am sorry but there does not seem to be a SLK file for all the music. I am guessing its hard-coded somewhere. In any case when replacing in game music the files have to be the same bit rate and bit depth.

Level 7
@Dr Super Good another few side questions.. how to set icon path with jass triggers, for gold,lumber,food?
And how to create a description quest in jass , i've seen them built outside of function and they work, but when edited in jass it would cause error.
PS: I didn't find any links to these issues so I don't know what to do

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
how to set icon path with jass triggers, for gold,lumber,food?
Not possible during game play. One can change them in the editor in the interface constants.

In StarCraft II you can do it by hooking the standard UI and then changing the icon path. But WC3 lacks this functionality.

And how to create a description quest in jass , i've seen them built outside of function and they work, but when edited in jass it would cause error.
They have to be inside a function like all executed JASS code. I am guessing you wrote something that is not valid JASS and hence why there was a syntax error.

Status
Not open for further replies.