• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Broken City

Chinese name of map: 破碎之城

English name of map: Broken City

Map file: (24)BrokenCity.w3x

Map version: 1.31

Map size: Epic (416 x 416)

Map sandbox template: Dalaran Ruins

Map population: 6v6v6v6

Map introduction:
  After experiencing endless smoke and war, unity and cooperation is the only human nature of the city.

Map structure design:
-076 Gold Mine
-004 Goblin Merchant
-001 Fountain of Health
-008 Fountain of Mana
-008 Goblin Lab
-004 Way Gate
-008 Mercenary Camp (Dalaran)
-008 Tavern
-004 Marketplace

Above for BaiDu translation.

ZLY199377 
March 3, 2021
Previews
Contents

Broken City (Map)

Reviews
mafe
So, I'd like to apologize once more for the long delay. Looking at the issues from my previous review 1. There are now no more items of "any level " type, which is good. 2. Still there are some mixed level itemdrops which is not ideal. 3. Still exists...

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
A 24 player map :) And the map isnt bad, but not quite polished either. Visually, the tileset is kinda unpopular due to being too dark iirc, but I dont mind it. I also like th layout very much, it is definitely unique and could make for fun games in 12v12 or 6v6v6v6. However, I also have a few complaints:

1. Please specify for all itemdrops if they should be permanent/charged/powerup/artifact. Do not use "any class" itemdrop.
2. Also please do not mix itemdrops of different leve, for example "50% lvl 2 permanent or 50% lvl 4 permanent". This makes it very hard to tell if the itemdrops are good.
3. Red creespots should not be defenseless against air units, for example the war/flesh golem spots cannot attack air units.
4. Imo it would be nice if the central player of each group of 6 (for example teal and purple in the top left) would have a way to reacht other parts of the map without having to go through the main bases of the other players.
5. Obviously it is very hard to make such a large map and make sure everything looks nice. There is of course still a lot of room for improvement, for example at the edges of the map.
6. There are some other details (pathing, creep location, some relatively empty areas) which would normally be a problem, but for a 24 player map they are not that big of a deal.

So to conclude, please do something about 1, 2 and 3. Map set to Awaiting update.

Level 8
A 24 player map :) And the map isnt bad, but not quite polished either. Visually, the tileset is kinda unpopular due to being too dark iirc, but I dont mind it. I also like th layout very much, it is definitely unique and could make for fun games in 12v12 or 6v6v6v6. However, I also have a few complaints:

1. Please specify for all itemdrops if they should be permanent/charged/powerup/artifact. Do not use "any class" itemdrop.
2. Also please do not mix itemdrops of different leve, for example "50% lvl 2 permanent or 50% lvl 4 permanent". This makes it very hard to tell if the itemdrops are good.
3. Red creespots should not be defenseless against air units, for example the war/flesh golem spots cannot attack air units.
4. Imo it would be nice if the central player of each group of 6 (for example teal and purple in the top left) would have a way to reacht other parts of the map without having to go through the main bases of the other players.
5. Obviously it is very hard to make such a large map and make sure everything looks nice. There is of course still a lot of room for improvement, for example at the edges of the map.
6. There are some other details (pathing, creep location, some relatively empty areas) which would normally be a problem, but for a 24 player map they are not that big of a deal.

So to conclude, please do something about 1, 2 and 3. Map set to Awaiting update.

As for the map environment, the theme of my map is designed on a dark and dilapidated basis, which will definitely bring people a feeling of loss. But isn't that what the ruins of war are like? People living in the ruins must be in a bad mood.

About falling objects, I designed it with reference to the dropped items on Blizzard's 12 person standard map "(12) Icecrown". The different levels of items I mix, they all fell from the wild monsters at the same time, there is no percentage chance to drop. As for the items that fall separately, they are also objects of different grades and classifications; For example, if you have a 50% chance to drop a level 4 permanent item, you will not drop a level 5 rechargeable item. This is not a 1v1 map, but a 12v12 map. When many people fight against monsters and rob items, it is certain that some players will not be able to grab them. Therefore, we designed items of different levels and categories to drop. For example, the dropped rechargeable items will be one level higher than the dropped permanent items. So I think the distribution of items should be a small problem, which does not affect the game tactics. Besides, there are many goblin shops and markets in the map, which should be able to balance the unreasonable distribution of dropped items.

As for the problem that the players in the corner of the map are unprepared for air units, it is because this map is originally a league map, and the focus is to test the defense and attack of six players as a group. Therefore, I can't provide air defense barriers for the players in the corner of the map alone, otherwise the tactics of "sneak attack" can't be used.

I have considered all the above questions, but this is a 12 person + multiplayer map melee, not a 1v1 or 2v2 game map, so I can't design according to the traditional map. This is the original intention of my design. Maybe you and I have different ideas about maps.

As for your suggestion to me, I will improve it in my other maps in the future. Thank you. 🙂

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ask, in the standard confrontation map, will the use of "any" for dropped items be defined as "unqualified"?

Last edited:

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
So, I'd like to apologize once more for the long delay.
Looking at the issues from my previous review
1. There are now no more items of "any level " type, which is good.
2. Still there are some mixed level itemdrops which is not ideal.
3. Still exists
4. Still exists, but I now accept it is not necessarily a downside.

So over, I really respect the work that it took to create this map. For a ladder player, the map still be very different from what they will expect. But for csual player the map could be fun.
In the light of this, I think my first review was too harsh. Comparing it to other 24 player maps, I still like several other maps more; and while I'm also not happy with some of the still-exisiting issues, I think as a 24 player map it is sufficiently acceptable. Map approved.

Level 8
So, I'd like to apologize once more for the long delay.
Looking at the issues from my previous review
1. There are now no more items of "any level " type, which is good.
2. Still there are some mixed level itemdrops which is not ideal.
3. Still exists
4. Still exists, but I now accept it is not necessarily a downside.

So over, I really respect the work that it took to create this map. For a ladder player, the map still be very different from what they will expect. But for csual player the map could be fun.
In the light of this, I think my first review was too harsh. Comparing it to other 24 player maps, I still like several other maps more; and while I'm also not happy with some of the still-exisiting issues, I think as a 24 player map it is sufficiently acceptable. Map approved.

It doesn't matter. The delay of audit time provides me with more reflection.

I'm really an amateur player. I haven't participated in any Warcraft games. Therefore, the map may also be more suitable for the single player campaign, but not for the competition. So through this audit, let me learn more, some of your suggestions will be reflected in my next map work!

Level 3
Another fun map. I liked the concept of having to run through bases to access others. Great to see a huge map too. I towered either side of one of the corner mines - a nice little nook!