• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • ✅ The POLL for Hive's Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Vote for the TOP 3 SKINS! 🔗Click here to cast your vote!

bow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
change your hero adjust range to 700, and your normal range to 100(melee), and make a trigger that sets the units range to 100 at the starting of the map, then make a trigger if a unit takes (bow) change unit range to 700, and if the unit uses it change it back to 100

Level 15
  • Bow
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.10 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
      • ((Triggering unit) has an item of type Tome of Experience) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set (Triggering unit) acquisition range to 700.00
Try that instead. Then run a trigger to cancel it of course.

Level 14
  • Bow
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.10 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
      • ((Triggering unit) has an item of type Tome of Experience) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set (Triggering unit) acquisition range to 700.00
Try that instead. Then run a trigger to cancel it of course.

Triggering unit? Theres not a unit triggering the event. Use the event "A unit Acquires an item"

Level 9
my trigger works 100%, here let me post the trigger:
  • change range
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set Blood Mage 0000 <gen> acquisition range to 100.00
you can put this trigger along with your starting map triggers, for ex weather effect visible etc...
  • bow
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Bow
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set (Hero manipulating item) acquisition range to 700.00
this is the trigger that will increase the units range
  • lost bow
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Loses an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Bow
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set (Hero manipulating item) acquisition range to 100.00
this will set it back to melee when the unit loses the bow

Level 12
Men, I think that Acquisition Range is the range a unit starts attacking without being ordered, not it's attack range...

Attack range is not changeable with normal WE, unless by upgrades. However, you can't lower an upgrade level, so the unit's attack range will be changed forever...

Wow. You guys.

Acquisition range is just that- the range at which he acquires targets. Not the range at which he can attack.

It will still be able to attack things at 700y range.

The act of changing the attack is a pain. It requires you to make multiple versions of each hero with a different main attack, and trigger the item to spawn a new hero and remove the old one. If hero obtains bow = true, create 1 (range) hero at unit, give unit items, abilities, etc. If hero has bow = true AND hero drops bow, create 1 (melee) hero at unit, etc etc.

There may be other ways, but this is the simplest I can think.

Level 4
The act of changing the attack is a pain. [...] There may be other ways, but this is the simplest I can think.

Changing an attack would be a pain. I haven't tried working it 'cause i'm busy with my own map, but- just an idea -you might try giving the hero a second attack in the unit editor that is identical to his primary one, just disabled. Then maybe you could make a trigger that enabled his secondary attack (that could only attack air with whatever other specifics changed) when he picks up the bow, or else disables it when he drops it.

And just to verify (for no particularly important reason, other than i feel like doing so) Acquisition Radius is the range that a unit will begin to automatically attack an enemy. The only time you need to fiddle with that is when your units range is something like 1000 but its acquisition radius is 800. Then it might as well have a range of 800 becaues it will never automatically attack anyone at a range of 1000 (it might work if you ordered the unit to attack, but it's not worth risking :p)

Level 12
Changing an attack would be a pain. I haven't tried working it 'cause i'm busy with my own map, but- just an idea -you might try giving the hero a second attack in the unit editor that is identical to his primary one, just disabled. Then maybe you could make a trigger that enabled his secondary attack (that could only attack air with whatever other specifics changed) when he picks up the bow, or else disables it when he drops it.

And just to verify (for no particularly important reason, other than i feel like doing so) Acquisition Radius is the range that a unit will begin to automatically attack an enemy. The only time you need to fiddle with that is when your units range is something like 1000 but its acquisition radius is 800. Then it might as well have a range of 800 becaues it will never automatically attack anyone at a range of 1000 (it might work if you ordered the unit to attack, but it's not worth risking :p)

So you know of a trigger that enables and disables secondary attacks?

Do tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.