• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blue Spells Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hey GreyArchon, I absolutely loved the original MTG Arena in SC1. As you might now, I myself have re-created the "StarCraft ZoneControl". I was actually thinking of doing this map once, but you've already done such a great job, I won't need to! Thanks for the great work!

Now, I've played it just once on B.net so far (hosted it after downloading) on blue. I've noticed one major issue I think you need to take a look at.

The blue player doesn't have many offensive spells. Counterspell "can" be nice, repel "can" be nice, morph "can" be nice, but none of the spells are straightforward damage or force spells. There's too many strings attached in my opinion. Also, all Blue's spells are very expensive, where other colors don't have to pay as much to get very decent results.

Although the above did bother me a little bit, I very much enjoyed playing the map and I intend to do so much more! Keep it up!

Level 40
Ever played magic? A blue spell that deals damage is very rare. I haven't had a chance to play the map yet (just noticed it!), but if he has done this true to magic then Blue should be a harder-than-average colour to play, relying on control of the field and unorthodox ways to win (such as deckburning, though that is of course impossible in this game)

Level 9
Well, actually, yes I have. Blue did indeed not have many offensive spells. But I *think* that people on "teh intarwebz" are far more interested in a somewhat more balanced map than in one that more closely resembles the "truth".

Although, it's not neccesarily a problem. An easy fix would be to (drastically?) lower blue's spells magic usage.

I'll play another game right now to get some more input.

Level 23
Well, actually, yes I have. Blue did indeed not have many offensive spells. But I *think* that people on "teh intarwebz" are far more interested in a somewhat more balanced map than in one that more closely resembles the "truth".

I do agree with you on this one. But PurplePoot is also right in the sense that I wanted to keep the "feeling" for each color intact.

Blue's spells are mostly about game / mana control.
Red's spells are all-out offensive.
White's spells are very defensive.
Black sacrifices creatures.
Green hides in the forest.

Etc.
I've seen blue players (yay for the observer spots) completely oblitherate their opponents simply with proper use of counterspell and mana drain. So, not sure if it's needed to change.

Level 5
Yah I host this game alot. Blue is strong when played right. Mana Drain is absolutely vicious. Iv gotten almost 20k from each player once. Counter spell I find a bit less usefull. Its good if ur attacking someone and they suddenly use a spell such as living lands, but other times its not worth the mana. You just gota know when to use it. One thing about blue...Leviathans are "uber". The AOE spell is ownage that they got, and they can take a beating.

Status
Not open for further replies.