• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bloodstone Isles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Bloodstone Isles
Created by Bob27

1. Introduction
  2. Information
    1. Features
  3. The Bloodstone Isles
    1. History
      1. Timeline
    2. Factions
      1. The Imperial Legion
      2. East Empire Mining Company
      3. The Cult of Amkos
      4. Nightfall Bandits
    3. Locations
      1. Fort Bloodstone
      2. Caerstone
      3. East Empire Mining Camp
      4. Crimson Mine
  4. Screenshots
  5. Progress

Introduction
Bloodstone Isles is a singleplayer RPG created by me, Bob27. The map will take place on a chain of islands on the northern tip of a vast Empire. The player will only be able to access one of the islands at the start of the game, and then as the player progresses through the main story more islands will become available.

The player will play as Hector, a Knight-Captain in the Imperial Legion, who has been sent to an Imperial Outpost on an chain of islands called The Bloodstone Isles. He has been sent there to replace an officer there recently went missing.

Information
Bloodstone Isle will take place on four main islands, and will allow the player to either follow the main quest, or go out and do other quests for the population of the Bloodstone Isles.

Bloodstone Isles will also feature several dungeons which the player will be able to enter and explore. All of these dungeons will each have their own theme and story behind them, and then at the end each one will have a boss for the player to fight. Some of these dungeons will be for quests, which the player will only be able to enter after starting that quest. The rest of the dungeons will be open for the player to enter any time in the game.

Features
Bloodstone Isles will have the following features:

• Attribute Selection System
  • Backpack System
  • Custom Spells
  • Stackable Items
  • Custom Creeps, Units and Items
  • Skill Selection System
  • Custom Dungeons

The Bloodstone Isles
This is an introduction to the setting of this mod, The Bloodstone Isles. It will features some of the different locations on the Isles, some of the history behind the Isles and some of the factions which call the Isles home.

Features
The Bloodstone Isles were originally discovered by Marius Lerus. He named the isles The Bloodstone Isles, although it is unknown why he gave the Isles this name. Nearly two months after discovering the Isles, Lerus went missing during an expedition on the northern island, and no clue to his fate was ever found.

Timeline
2nd Era - 35-37 -- It was during this period that the Bloodstone Isles were originally discovered. The town of Caerstone was built, and Reman Valerius became the Lord of the town.
2nd Era - 37-40 -- During this time a Cult arrived from the mainland known as the The Cult Of Amkos. These cultists worshiped the fallen God Amkos . When they arrived there was some trouble between the citizens of Caerstone and the Cultists, however the Cultists soon moved into caves that run under the northern islands, and since then have kept to themselves, although they are occasionally seen outside in the wilderness.
2nd Era - 40-46 -- Over this period the rest of the Isles was colonized, and Beckenmoore Village was built on the southern island.
2nd Era - 46-48 -- During this period the Imperial Legion arrived at the Isles, and built a Fort on the southern island, which they named Fort Bloodstone. The Imperial Legion built this outpost as an early warning system, as the neighboring continent of Sar has launched several attempted invasions of the Empire in the past.
2nd Era - 48-49 -- In the 49th year of the 2nd Era, an organization known as the East Empire Mining Company arrived on the Isles. They set up their main camp in the mountains on the northern islands, where they started digging into the mountains, searching for gold and other precious rocks.
2nd Era - 50 -- An Officer at Fort Bloodstone mysteriously goes missing, and his replacement Hector his sent to the Isles.
Factions
In The Bloodstone Isles there will be several factions which the Player can interact with, and even in some cases join. Bellow I have listed some of the factions which players will encounter during the game.
The Imperial Legion
The Imperial Legion is the army of the Empire, and helps keep peace within the Empire. The player is automatically a member of this faction, as the main character Hector is already a member of the Legion when the player starts the game.

The Legion is still relatively new to the Bloodstone Isles, having only been there for a few years. However in those few years they have been able to build up a strong presence on the isles. The Legion controls the majority of the south islands, and some parts of the northern islands.

East Empire Mining Company
The East Empire Mining Company is the newest faction to the Bloodstone Isles, only having been on the isles for 6 months so far. However in that short time they have been able set up two large mines on the isles, and a third one which is still under construction.

The East Empire Mining Company is a join-able faction, meaning that during the game the player will be able to join the faction and complete quests for them.

Although the East Empire Mining Company has only been on the Isles for 6 months, they have already met some competition. A rival mining company has recently arrived on the Isles, hoping to set up a successful mine, and to drive the East Empire Mining Company out in the process.

The Cult of Amkos
The Cult of Amkaos has been on the Isles for as long as anyone can remember, but they usually keep to themselves. The members of this cult worship the God Amkaos. No one is exactly sure why they have chosen to stay on The Bloodstone Isles.

The members of this cult usually keep to themselves, rarely making contact with outsiders. It is unknown exactly where they are on the Isles, however rumours point to a set of caves which run deep underneath the Isles. However no evidence of these caves have been discovered, not even by the East Empire Mining Company which has dug deep into the Isles looking for treasure.

Nightfall Bandits
These Bandits have been on the Isles since when the first town was built. They usually strike from their secret hideout in the mountains on the northern islands, however they have smaller outposts scattered all around the Isles.
Locations
Below I have listed some of the locations which the player will be able to visit during the game. This includes towns, villages and landmarks that are spread throughout the Bloodstone Isles.
Fort Bloodstone
Fort Bloodstone is the main base of operations for the Imperial Legion on the Bloodstone Isles. It was constructed on the 46th year of the 2nd Era. The Fort serves as an early warning system in case of another attempted invasion from the Sar.

Caerstone
Caerstone was the first town to be built on the Bloodstone Isles. It is ruled by Lord Reman Valerius, who has been there since the first foundations for Caerstone were laid. Caerstone is the most powerful town on the Isles, only rivaled by the Imperial Fort on the southern island.

East Empire Mining Camp
On the northern island the East Empire Mining Camp has set up their main camp, from which they conduct their business. Inside the camp is the officer of the mining operation, Thane, and also is the entrance to the Companie's largest mine on the Isles.

The Mining Company has been unopposed during its time on the Isles, and has been doing business with the Legion, Caerstone and other towns on the mainland. However recently a new mining company has arrived on the Isles, and is looking to drive out the East Empire Mining Company.

Crimson Mine
Crimson Mine was created by the East Empire Mining Company, when they first arrived on the Isles. The Mine stretches far under the northern islands, and goes deep into the ground. The only entrance into the mine is in the Company's main camp, on the northern island. The Mine has proved to be an invaluable source of income for the company, and to this very day it is still being expanded deep into the Isles.

Screenshots
BSI-1.jpgBSI-2.jpgBSI-3.jpgBSI-4.jpgBSI-5.jpgBSI-6.jpgBSI-7.jpgBSI-8.jpgBSI-9.jpgBSI-10.jpgBSI-11.jpgBSI-12.jpgBSI-13.jpgBSI-14.jpgBSI-15.jpgBSI-16.jpgBSI-17.jpgBSI-23.jpgBSI-24.jpgBSI-25.jpgBSI-26.jpgBSI-27.jpgBSI-28.jpgBSI-29.jpg

Progress
Below is a progress report on how the project is coming along.

Terrain - 80%
Triggers/Systems - 70%
Quests - 20%
Story - 100%
Spells & Abilities - 20%

At the moment most of the terrain is completed (I only need to complete some of the caves and dungeons). Most of the triggers and systems have been completed, and the story has been completed finished. At the moment the main thing which I am doing is finishing off the remaining triggers and systems and creating the quests.

Last edited:
Level 1
Stackable ItemsWill the items stack even if the inventory is full?

Seeing the screenshots I have a question. Will there be only snow in this map? No change of weather?

Level 24
Stackable ItemsWill the items stack even if the inventory is full?

Yes even if the heroes inventory is full he will still be able to pick up stackable items.

Seeing the screenshots I have a question. Will there be only snow in this map? No change of weather?

Yea the whole map is going to be snow, but I may try and use another tileset like Icecrown to try and add some difference between the different areas in the map.

I like your terrain, that tileset has always been somewhat of a favorite of mine. What do you mean by your skill selection system btw?

What I mean by that is allowing the player choose what abilities they learn. I am still deciding on the best way to make this happen, but I might make it so there is a unit that the player can by spells of, or perhaps the player can find tomes that will give the player certain spells. I am still trying to figure out the best way to do it, but basically the player will have to find/buy spells, rather then just learning them whenever they gain a level.

Level 3
Seems good! I've always liked maps/games which are based around Medieval Winter. It just somehow attracts me.

Best of luck for your project, I am eager to test this map in the future.

Yea the same model is used for Henrik in RDZ's maps, but remember that its just the captain model and that a lot of people use it.

Anyway, I will try and get some new screenshots up this afternoon.
Yes I was also referring to the backpack even if it's a different backpack I can't not think about Henrik.But there's nothing wrong with it it was just an observation.

Level 24
Lol sorry, misinterpreted your post.

Anyway I will try and get a couple more screenshots up sometime either tonight or tomorrow.

Edit: Here are the two new screenshots. They are taken in the main camp for the East Empire Mining Company.

Last edited:
Level 25
Sounds promising. My only constructive comments regard the terrain, which aren't bad, but aren't great enough to maintain it's hold as a great mod. I'm not saying this isn't a great mod, but in order for it to really stand out, visuals (in this case, terrain/level design) is one of the biggest things to get done right. What the players can read about the project is one thing. But what they can actually see is in it is another. Here's a list of comments that should be helpful rather than offensive:
  • Hills: Your terrain is very flat. Make use of the Raise and Lower tool (hills and ditches) and create a lot of them, and also be sure to make them cover large areas. Don't make them tall, very distinctive hills. Just make large hills that are slightly high. Barely noticeable. One or two clicks ought to do the trick. Also, when dealing with hill placement, you must at all costs refrain from creating and keeping sharp hills. To soften the look of a sharp hill, make use of the Lower tool. The Smooth tool is also nice, but if you're a perfectionist like me, lowering specific parts at a time rather than letting the engine decide what to do with the Smooth tool is a better, more professional idea.

• Cliffs?! A very bad idea. However, being that this is intended to be a multiplayer BNet type map, the cliffs blend with the rest of the BNet maps and so it's easier for the players to accept the usage of cliffs in maps in which they play, although, you probably don't want to be the mod that looks like the rest or 'blends' with them. Just because you can get away with it doesn't make it a fine idea to settle with. What else can you use? Finding substitutes for cliffs is a better idea. Especially when you're creative with it, players like that sort of new creativity in new maps that they play. Ideas to use instead of cliffs would be very tall/steep hills (requires the UI\MiscData.txt file by HappyTauren) or a wall of trees, bushes, shrubs, tall grass, rocks, etc. or simply use wall models!

• Tile Variation: Good job on this. You seemed to have used a good variety of tiles and blended them well with the theme/environment. No need to give you a lecture regarding this.

• Environment: Your usage of environmental doodads such as trees, bushes, and shrubbery is done good, but not good enough in my opinion. Look at the terrain in The Kingdom of Kaliron (TKoK) RPG and then try to replicate that sort of strategically placed environments around your terrain. I'm not asking you to change your atmosphere from winter wonderland to a desert, forest, or jungle, but am merely insisting you train yourself how to place enough shrubs, rocks, bushes, and trees without making it looked either cluttered, randomly setup, or empty. It's a very complex though simple at the same time process. I'd advise you to ask Gilles and Belgrath about this type of terraining since they've listened to my advice well and taught themselves beyond my advice to perfect their skill. They'd be the best direct source to go to other than me. Gilles would be good since he's used to assisting people with terrain advice and has done good terrain moderator work for a while.

Level 24
Ok well I have been experimenting a bit with different ways of doing cliffs. I'll post something when I get something I like. As for hills, there is some height variation at the moment although its very subtle. I'll see if I can make the hills a bit more obvious.

Also here are a couple of new screenshots.

Level 25
Your terrain skills look as though they are improving, which is a very good sign. The snowy terrain looks empty. I know its snowy and most games with snow make the general area very... empty intentionally, but I think it'd look more appealing with some shrubbery thrown in there. Placing them very close to rocks and trees adds to that natural feel, since shrubs tend to nest around those sorts of things.

The other one that is dark looks good. Though, it's the lighting that seems to be bringing that "ahhh" feel to it. I'd suggest doing something on the left side of the terrain, mainly where the cart is, since that part looks like it has a purpose in the cave yet is empty/unattended. Sure, you added a crate next to it, but how about some more details? I'm not a good underground terrainer, but just about anything will do probably... I hate empty spaces. More rocks, geysers, or whatever. Something that you'd see in a cave, put there. But remember, don't make it look cluttered!

Level 2
Very nicely done! I love the mine.

One question tho, How have u managed not to go over the file size limit? I'm making a similar map with quests etc and its about the same size as your map, but since i have so much imported models im just over 4mb...how big is your map (Im just askin cuz i see alot of impored models and textures)

Level 24
Very nicely done! I love the mine.

One question tho, How have u managed not to go over the file size limit? I'm making a similar map with quests etc and its about the same size as your map, but since i have so much imported models im just over 4mb...how big is your map (Im just askin cuz i see alot of impored models and textures)

At the moment the map is around 20 MB, although thats including some custom music which isn't in use at the moment, so it will probably be smaller then that when its released. But remember that this map is singleplayer, so it doesn't really matter how big the map is, and thats why I'm able to import all these custom resources into my map.

Level 24
I've just released an article on ModDB which introduces some of the locations, factions and some of the history of the Bloodstone Isles. You can find it Here.

I will also be adding all the information in that article to the first post in this thread sometime today.

Level 25
More terrain criteria!

Left Image: You actually did a very fine job on this terrain piece. I'm afraid to suggest to add or remove anything since it might make it look too busy - after all, it's underground - so I think you can leave this one alone... it's good!

Right Image: Hmm... tough decision, but I think you should place some shrubs around a couple trees and rocks to bring out a more natural look. If you're too afraid to use shrubs because it's snowing, then at least use "Scorched Grain" since it looks like dead grass or something.

Level 24
More terrain criteria!

Left Image: You actually did a very fine job on this terrain piece. I'm afraid to suggest to add or remove anything since it might make it look too busy - after all, it's underground - so I think you can leave this one alone... it's good!

Right Image
: Hmm... tough decision, but I think you should place some shrubs around a couple trees and rocks to bring out a more natural look. If you're too afraid to use shrubs because it's snowing, then at least use "Scorched Grain" since it looks like dead grass or something.

I am very hesitant about using the shrub model, as I really don't think it fits in with the winter theme. However I will try experimenting with some of the other models, such as the Scorched Grain and perhaps the River Rushes model.

Will there be a beta anytime in the near future?

Once I get the main quest finished I will probably start a closed beta, so I can begin getting feedback while I finish off the other quests. If I keep working on the map constantly then I could start a closed beta perhaps in 1-3 months.

I've also got a three week holiday coming up in a couple of weeks, so hopefully I will be able to get a lot of work done on the map then. Hopefully if I get enough work done on the map during that time I could have closed beta going in a bit over a month.

Level 14
Here are two new screenshots. The first screenshot is from the Mine which the last screenshot was taken from, and the second is from an island in the map which is inhabited by an ancient race of Elves.

That house looks really stretched out.

Status
Not open for further replies.