1. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Melee Mapping Contest #3 - Results are out! Congratulate the winners and check plenty of new 4v4 melee maps designed for this competition!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The winners of our cinematic soundtrack competition have been decided! Step by the Music Contest #11 - Results to check the entries and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice

Blizzard's unused ideas (based on voice paths)

Discussion in 'Warcraft Town Hall' started by MrRious, Mar 5, 2019.

1. MrRious

MrRious

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've recently discovered that there are some weird voice paths hidden in the voices list in unit editor.

I've only found two of them, but there might be more.

Attached Files:

2. Hermit

Hermit

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    'MaievLater' sound set is used in some campaign missions. The only difference from 'Maiev' is that the "Illidan is out there somewhere" line is removed.

More sound sets that share some or all sound files
    Maiev and MaievLater
    Bristleback and RazorMane
    ForestTroll and ForestTrollShadowPriest
    Gnoll and GnollKing
    HeroMountainKing and HeroAvatarMountainKing
    Proudmoore and HeroPaladin
    SludgeMonster and WaterElemental
    Assassin, Watcher and Archer
    IceTroll and IceTrollShadowPriest
    DoomGuard, Wendigo and Zombie
    ChaosGrunt and Grunt
    KotoBeast and KotoBeastNoRider
    ShamanX and Shaman
    Nerubian and CryptFiend
    Revenant and Gargoyle
    Skeleton and SkeletonArcher
    BloodElfWorker and BloodElfEngineer
    OgreOneHead and Ogre
    HighElfSwordsMan and Priest

Ent and CorruptedEnt sound sets use duplicate sounds (different files that sound completely the same), which means that one of them can be safely owerwritten.

'HeroDreadLordMorphed' was probably used in the Warcraft 3 Beta, where Dread Lord had an ability called Gather Shadows, that allowed him to morph into a swarm of bats (similar to how his Death animation looks like).

The sounds referenced by that sound set no longer exist in the current mpq archives, but they can still be found in the War3beta.mpq archive that can be downloaded from this post, among other things.

3. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Like you can deduce from what @Hermit's mentioned, some of the those voice sets actually "exist" even though you can't find their folders in the sound editor. Sometimes it's just small changes, such as MaievLater. A similar case: HighElfSwordsman is the same as Priest, except he doesn't say the line «Is someone injured?»

4. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    I love those unused and almost hidden legacy treasures :)

I noticed today in Sound Editor that Night Elves had a soundset called BearDen, which contains one sound: BearDenWhat1.wav. I suppose it was some equivalent to Hunters Hall in order to train Druids of the Claw in alpha or beta.
    Similarly, Undead have an unused building soundset called GargoyleSpire, which, I suppose, was used with the Gargoyle Spire model you can see here.
    Anyone knows something about how those worked?

I also noticed that audio files of some Night Elves buildings have names that don't match the current buildings names:
    • Ancient of Lore: Ancient of the Earth
    • Ancient of War: Ancient of the Moon
    • Ancient of Wind: Ancient of the Wild
    • Chimaera Roost: Den of Shadows
    It's really interesting. It makes me wonder what the alpha and beta versions of the game looked like :)

5. Hermit

Hermit

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Other goofs related to sound sets:
    PigFarm - doesn't work since it references a file from the wrong folder.
    SacrificialAltar - references a nonexistent file.
    OrcLumberMill - also references a nonexistent file (the missing sound file can be found in the Beta mpq archive).
    IceTrollShadowPriest - a file for one of his pissed quotes is missing, which results in a blank click (the missing sound file -"Got any chapstick?" can be found in the Beta mpq archive).
    PocketFactory - doesn't work because the file path mistakenly starts with a backslash.

These problems are not exclusive to sound sets: they are also found in many sound events (sounds emitted by models).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  6. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  7. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    I was wondering mostly about the gameplay: how NE buildings worked, was it different, with the different building names? What about Gargoyles?
    But the stuff you linked is pretty interesting, there are some things I didn't know about, the alpha soundtrack particularly. Thanks! :)

8. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I love browsing through this. :p Took the chance to listen to some alpha music.

9. Trill

Trill

Resources:
    Resources:
    Huh, I knew he had ability with that name, but couldn't find what it does anywhere. I must have missed a source of info! Where did you get that?

10. Hermit

Hermit

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    In the War3beta.mpq\UI\SoundInfo\AnimSounds.slk there are two sound events named "GatherShadowsMorph" and "GatherShadowsMorphAlternate", that respectively reference "DreadLordMorphIn1.wav" and "DreadLordMorphOut1.wav" from the "Units\Undead\HeroDreadLord\" folder.

11. Trill

Trill

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ah, so its only from sounds? I thought there was a description, a video, or a screenshot of the effect.
    I guess I'll have to look into sounds.

12. Hermit

Hermit

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I couldn't find anything about that ability except those sound events and BTNGatherShadows:
    [​IMG]
    You can find the names of removed abilities even in the current AnimSounds.slk and AnimLookups.slk (UI\SoundInfo\).