• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blizzard launches map hosting & mod support site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Blizzard has launched their new map and mod support site. This site will be featuring the creme of the crop maps produced by the mapping community elite recomended by the map community leaders from each of the major WC3 fan sites!

Here is their initial message:

"Blizzard is proud to unveil the Mod Support website. Ever since Warcraft II first launched, the community has been creating its own incredible maps for the Warcraft series. With Warcraft III, we have seen even more creative, original, and technically impressive uses of the World Editor. The Mod Support site is being created to give something back to the community. We will offer contests, resources, designer journals, and of course, proper recognition to those outstanding authors for creating some of the greatest mods for Warcraft III. "

You can check you their new site here: http://www.battle.net/mod/index.shtml

Level 1
I cant believe Dota is the first on their hall of fame. Tides of Blood is made better and is way more balanced and fun to play

Level 7
The forum looks like its going to be a lot more helpful for trigger problems, but as far as resources go, it can't compare with wc3sear.ch so far. I know a lota people on this site hate Dota but it has been a very successful game in Warcraft with over thousands of players and i think its earned its frist spot in Bnet Hall of Fame. No game can be perfectly balanced, and some people just havent played it enough to know how it even works, plus jealousy woes and noobies get owned. I also think Dota deserves more respect because Dota is a piece of representation of the Warcraft community and i mean we are all hear to help build on the community not break it down? Anyway, ill shut up, flame if you wish, but i hate it when people just plainly say Dota sux, yet it has more players then some games sold in boxes in stores.

Level 7
Mecheon said:
Games can be perfectly balanced.

Its just that no one has ever bothered to even try on DoTA and rather just let be unbalanced

Well im not going to argue with you cuz its not worth it but they do update the game every week it seems like to balance, and it is more balanced than you think it is. It was not balanced for 1 hero vs 1 hero but more for hero combination vs hero combination, if you watch replays of tournament dota games you will better understand. Thats my 2 cents.

Level 4
I want to see DoBRP there, to bad there site went down about a month ago because the creator got a life :? . Oh well what can you do :( .

Level 10
Ætherman said:
I cant believe Dota is the first on their hall of fame. Tides of Blood is made better and is way more balanced and fun to play

i was hoping i could find EotA :cry:

DeadDogNoGoWoof said:
besides, dota sucks.

i agree. we can be good friends :wink:

Gwen Stefani said:
The forum looks like its going to be a lot more helpful for trigger problems, but as far as resources go, it can't compare with wc3sear.ch so far. I know a lota people on this site hate Dota but it has been a very successful game in Warcraft with over thousands of players and i think its earned its frist spot in Bnet Hall of Fame. No game can be perfectly balanced, and some people just havent played it enough to know how it even works, plus jealousy woes and noobies get owned. I also think Dota deserves more respect because Dota is a piece of representation of the Warcraft community and i mean we are all hear to help build on the community not break it down? Anyway, ill shut up, flame if you wish, but i hate it when people just plainly say Dota sux, yet it has more players then some games sold in boxes in stores

thats because almost 97% of people who play dota dont know how to make a map, let alone simple triggers.

Gwen Stefani said:
Mecheon wrote:
Games can be perfectly balanced.

Its just that no one has ever bothered to even try on DoTA and rather just let be unbalanced

Well im not going to argue with you cuz its not worth it but they do update the game every week it seems like to balance, and it is more balanced than you think it is. It was not balanced for 1 hero vs 1 hero but more for hero combination vs hero combination, if you watch replays of tournament dota games you will better understand. Thats my 2 cents.

i agree, it has become a LITTLE more balanced. but has it ever occured to you how hard it is to balance with so many heroes? thats an insult.

VGsatomi said:
Blizz just contacted me a few hours ago. They had a reason for removing the link. I am working to fix the problem now...
-VGsatomi

all hail wc3sear.ch and Darky! :lol:

Level 5
At first I was shocked that they did not list wc3sear.ch on that list, but reading this topic explained much. I hope they'll put back the link.

Anyway IMHO they had to put Dota up there in their list as it is almost the only map played on b.net custom games.

Well Dota was quite good back in the RoC days, but it has not improved since then. That's why it is no longer a good game.

Level 6
Pretty cool and good news, nice to see all the WoW icons available since all the dl's of them here are empty... Too bad the zips are corrupt. :cry:

Level 3
qwerty said:
Ætherman said:

i was hoping i could find EotA :cry:
Don't worry about that ;)

I hope you can get wc3sear.ch added again VGSatomi, it is a very valuable resource for the WarCraft 3 community.

Level 9
VGsatomi said:
Well, Blizzard has several dozen maps lines op for spotlight. They probably just started off with dota because its is unarguably the most successful fan made map ever to hiy b.net (even if it does suck, and is stolen).
-VGsatomi

STOLEN?! dota sux, but i never heard it was stolen

from who?

Level 7
VGsatomi said:
Well, Blizzard has several dozen maps lines op for spotlight. They probably just started off with dota because its is unarguably the most successful fan made map ever to hiy b.net (even if it does suck, and is stolen).
-VGsatomi

I think thats very ignorant to say since you are the one who gave Battle of the Gods directors choice. And im not saying BotGs sucks, but it is nowhere nears advanced and creative as dota...

Level 22
I think thats very ignorant to say since you are the one who gave Battle of the Gods directors choice. And im not saying BotGs sucks, but it is nowhere nears advanced and creative as dota...

I awarded BotG because it actually inplements ....*gasp* strategy!...an idea dota never even touched. As well as many other reasons. I stand by my decision. BotG is substantially better then Dota in both technical and practical aspects.

In my opinion they are like 3 years late to start supporting modding conmunity specially since now there are like 2 mods in developming anyways.

They were the first to admit that. Better late then never, I guess is their mentality.

And you should wait until you have at least 10 maps before making a map database.

They have dozens. They are just putting up ne every so often I guess.
-VGsatomi

Level 7
Rofl!? Dota no strategy??? I really like to avoid from carrying on like this but, now your just talking shit on Dota. Obviously you have no idea what strategy is cuz Dota has a load of it. Hero combinations, item combinations, team strategy, order strategy, the list goes on. I understand you like BotG better, and that opinion i won't change. I just don't understand why you are talking shit about dota, with no logical and definite facts to back up that it sucks. Sorry, but from an Administrator of a mapping community i expect more maturity than 10 year old unsupported comments that appear to lack all primitive inteligence.

Level 25
DotA does have stratagy

Unfortunantly, it all revolves around "Get the most imba hero and kill everything with your imba powers"

Anywho, I have a feeling why we were removed. *coughcoughWOWANDNWNMODELS*

What I'd LOVE to know is why Samods and the Hubb weren't even added

Level 13
I just don't understand why you are talking **** about dota, with no logical and definite facts to back up that it sucks.

Ok since we're on modding coummunity, let's talk about the reasons from map modder point of view, not just as a player.

1. Ability merely just object editor change, with less simple trigger.
2. It has memory leaks so much. If you often play that map, you should realize that it goes slower and slower, more longer you play it. You know how much time that is taken just to quit from game.
3. Terrain sucks, Why? It just a simple terrain with raise floor, lower floor, shalow water, and ramp. There are no gradation from hill to canyon. Also, it really not Northrendish (you should feel it), why? because he just change ashenvale theme to northrend. Why? because it is stolen!
4. Abused theme, why? Can you see a link beetwen "Defense of the Ancient" with Zeus, Medusa, a gambler?
5. Abused model,sound used. Dwarv as a god? Crypt Lord an agile hero? Frozen Throne and Tree of Life become a base? Some naga race on good side, but another naga race on dark side (same with tauren race)? And there are so many unmatch sound with the model.

Ok, there just some little part, now these are the main point.
1. Stolen.
2. Strategy? Of course it has. Every AOS must be has strategy, the difference is whether it sucks or not. Thinking about combining item and managing item while in combat is a bad idea. A lot of heroes are obviously good with certain item, so it isn't strategy anymore, it more like a math formula. "If you use hero X, buy item A+B=C and play like this, but if you use hero Y, buy item C+D=E and play like that". I used to play dota if you want to know, and I see all of my enemies and friends just use same hero with same item and samerole play on every round. Of course he wins, why? Because he already know every single point about that hero and he won't change his hero selection, isn't it boring?. Is this still can be called as strategy?
3. "A great one still a great one and a jackass still a jackass". If you start really good (with good hero, good item, and kill much enemies), obviously you will own, but if you start really bad, obviously you will get owned. It's really hard to turn back a condition.
4. Team strategy? Of course dota has. Yeah, with several combination of hero and less strategy you'll become an unbeatable team! Let says, Rylai, Zeus, Nortrom, Bradwarden, and the one with nether swap ability (forget the name). On darkside, Akasha, Krobelus, Skeleton King, Medusa, Rotund'jere, obviously you will own. And many more combination like that. So, win or not 80% is determined with hero selection, 10% for strategy, and 10% item knowledge. Is this still a great strategy?

Ok, those are my argue, everyone may be different. Btw, this is getting an off topic. Maybe this is VG's reason why he doesn't want talk about this and because this is already discussed frequently.

Level 3
Is blizzard going for popularity or good maps?
and by good maps do they mean ones that are fun or ones that are extramly well made?

so far it seems there just trying to get populare maps. Guess I'll hold off on my request for b-net to ban dota from being hosted. =þ

Level 7
Actually the newer dotas aren't as bad about leaks as they were. Even after an hour or so of play you can exit in maybe 10 seconds. And who cares if it isn't well put together, its popular and has managed to keep its fans for all these years.

But back to the site, it will probably fail since there isn't much need for another modding site since we have this one.

Level 3
Chuckle, just because something is hosted alot does not mean it's a good map. When somebody says DotA, I think a bunch of unbalanced heroes trying to get the best imbalanced item. DotA is about getting the most gold to get the best item, and then sneaking around an enemy hero with 3 allies and all 4 using their 900 damage spells on the hero and instantly killing him. People find that fun, great. But in my opinion it's a good game, but not so great that it should be hosted 5 times at any given time of the day.

Level 22
When Eul made dota open source, all he asked was that he was given credit on every edit that was made since then. Has guinsoo done that? no. That's no different then stealing. Not to mention he didnt give credit for any of the custom resources used in the map.

It does not look like the link will be going back up.
-VGsatomi

Level 2
VGsatomi said:
-VGsatomi

I think the reason for that, IMHO, is because their is an ad at the top of the page for WoW Gold. Yes, I do realize that wc3sear.ch isn't selling it, but it IS advertising it.

Just my couple of cents.

Level 6
VGsatomi said:
When Eul made dota open source, all he asked was that he was given credit on every edit that was made since then. Has guinsoo done that? no. That's no different then stealing. Not to mention he didnt give credit for any of the custom resources used in the map.

-VGsatomi

Allstars was made before DotA went open-source. Blah, I'm sick of stating that.

Level 5
YEEEEEEY another way to make people play dota! wonderful!!

...not

Why cant people see that Guinsoo stole the fucking map from Eul! He stripped the fucking script, copy-pasted some heroes from OTHER maps and bam "hey guys i made a new map, wanna try"?

And come on, after about 20 versions (yes he makes a new version for every single tooltip edit) there were STILL huge bugs and STUPID tooltips like "SVEN IS HERE TO PUMP U UP (yeah wtf does that ability do?)"

note: Please dont post stupid things like "ur just jealous because dota has more players than your Elimination"... Yes its true that there are millions that like DOTA more than elimination, this is just my opinion about the map.

Level 7
Well, i know nothing about Dota being stolen, i just judge the map by how the gameplay is, not by who made it and whos credited, honestly i think everyone can give a shit less.

There are plenty of custom trigger abilities. Some are unqiue and different pthers are quite simple, but if your one to expect every spell to be custom and unique in a map than i understand where you're going and wish you luck in finding one.

2. It has memory leaks so much. If you often play that map, you should realize that it goes slower and slower, more longer you play it. You know how much time that is taken just to quit from game.

I only notice this in games that last more than two hours, not a big problem for me anyway but for shitty computers i guess so, but if you have a shitty computer i dont see how you're going to succeed in dota anyway.

3. Terrain sucks, Why? It just a simple terrain with raise floor, lower floor, shalow water, and ramp. There are no gradation from hill to canyon. Also, it really not Northrendish (you should feel it), why? because he just change ashenvale theme to northrend. Why? because it is stolen!

=\..K..good enough for me, but, high expectations, ok cool.

4. Abused theme, why? Can you see a link beetwen "Defense of the Ancient" with Zeus, Medusa, a gambler?
5. Abused model,sound used. Dwarv as a god? Crypt Lord an agile hero? Frozen Throne and Tree of Life become a base? Some naga race on good side, but another naga race on dark side (same with tauren race)? And there are so many unmatch sound with the model.

Dont see your point.

Anyway, the hell with it, its all opinionated and jealousy woes among some people.

Level 2
Doublehex said:
VGsatomi said:
-VGsatomi

I think the reason for that, IMHO, is because their is an ad at the top of the page for WoW Gold. Yes, I do realize that wc3sear.ch isn't selling it, but it IS advertising it.

Just my couple of cents.

Thank you!! I almost hit my head against my computer desk when I was on the last page, and nobody seemed to have noticed what the problem was!! But finnally you hit the spot.

For those of you who dont know me, I'm Ammorth and I'm a "regular" at the WarCraft III Map Development forum (can be found at http://www.battle.net/forums/war3/board.aspx?forumName=war3-maps ). We have been discussing for quite some time now, about the mod page (and the reason WC3sear.ch was removed). The thread can be found here http://www.battle.net/forums/war3/thread.aspx?fn=war3-maps&t=189008&p=1 . It's sad really, for both sides, that wc3sear.ch was removed. Sad for the advertisment on the web page, and sad for the fact Blizzard repremands wc3sear.ch, instead of the web page with the offer. I know advertisments are used to keep web pages up, but a message to the admin, I dont think it would be hard to keep the content of the advertisements at a legal and appropriate level, to reduce problems like so.

More can be read at the thread, if anyone is interested.

Ammorth

Level 3
Gwen Stefani said:
Well, i know nothing about Dota being stolen, i just judge the map by how the gameplay is, not by who made it and whos credited, honestly i think everyone can give a **** less.

There are plenty of custom trigger abilities. Some are unqiue and different pthers are quite simple, but if your one to expect every spell to be custom and unique in a map than i understand where you're going and wish you luck in finding one.

I only notice this in games that last more than two hours, not a big problem for me anyway but for **** computers i guess so, but if you have a **** computer i dont see how you're going to succeed in dota anyway.

=\..K..good enough for me, but, high expectations, ok cool.

Dont see your point.

Anyway, the hell with it, its all opinionated and jealousy woes among some people.

Gwen, I think we should rename you to "The DotA Cheerleader".

1) I agree, the abilities seem fine. Some feen very simple and many are unbalanced, but hey...that's what DotA is known for.

2) I'm sorry, but it has many problems in that catagory. At the start when people choose heroes, there is a pause in the game (2-3 seconds), and nearly every game 1-3 people lag (though rare somebody drops). Then after about an hour, I do start to have trouble playing. My computer has 1gig of ram and a nice GFX card (I don't know the name, but the guy who built my comp said it's 256mb and some other stuff, so I think it's good), and I still have trouble exiting.

3) Terrain is way too simple for an AoS game. The terraining style reminds me of when I first started terraining, and has nothing new from older AoS games.

4 and/or 5) The point was that it's very incoherent. Defense of the Ancients, and for some reason you have Engineers, Zeus, and Madusa comming out of nowhere. Voices don't match up, and it's kind of annoying. If they're going to make a map and do everything else they have done, they might as well used quality model and voice combos, let alone follow the theme.

I don't hate DotA at all, actually I do like it. But I get tired of it after I play it x times, because of the combination of the type of players who play it:

The "Pro" - Whenever your team is losing, he blames the team that they suck and his 2-14 record is just because of us. He then leaves the game because no true "Pro" would play with us noobies.

The Leaver - Ever have somebody lag at the start and drop out? If you have played a public DotA at least 3 times, you probably have! When 1 person drops, the DotA people feel that 1 person down means you cannot win as easily and you might not have fun, because you only have fun when you're getting 5 hero kill combos with your imbalanced hero and item combinations. When 1 person drops, a person on the team goes "RM" and leaves. Then another...and another...and another...and, well, I guess that's why DotA is constantly hosted.

The Trash Talker - This type of player calls everybody a noobie and is actually quite good at the game, at least compared to the rest of the players. He tries to make people angry because he's doing very good, and the only way to have more fun for him is to make the others angry. This is also the type of person who loses in a 1v5 and challenges the person to a 1v1, and if not, they're a "pussy".

And the fact that almost any game can get boreing after you play it so much. I don't think it's this huge game, but I do feel it was somewhat ripped off, though it's changed so much (to me), that it's not much. The biggest change is that nearly every hero is imbalanced, so people feel that makes them balanced. Oh well, my 2 cents.

Level 7
DotA Cheerleader, lol no, im just speaking my mind. Like it is, everyone has their opinions about the terrains(more doodads=more lag for shit comp peeps) and the spells, everyone has a different computer to measure the so called memory leak which occurs that i have yet to see how really bad it can get(longest game ive played was 2hours and 20 mins), and as for the Trash Talkers being good at the game =\...its usually just some kid who finnally got some luck at ksing and thinks he the ultimate shit now, but i have managed to put them to sleep without words nowadays. And as for Leavers, oh dam, i hope you all burn in hell =), but in a public game leavers are good--more money for me less free kills for the other team.>=)

Level 13
... i just judge the map by how the gameplay is, ...
If you do so, you should more concern on the last 4 points, I told you the first 5 points just a little things.

..., but if you have a **** computer i dont see how you're going to succeed in dota anyway.
:lol: If you wanna know, I quit dota since I become unbeatable. Why? Because I'm bored with same hero, same item, and same strategy every time I won a round.

Isn't it unfair? When someone give opinion about how bad dota is, you told him that he was jealous, but when someone call you a dota-cheerleader because you give opinion about how good dota is, you deny it.

about the terrains(more doodads=more lag for **** comp peeps) and the spells,
You must be never terrain a map before.

Level 7
Leopard said:
... i just judge the map by how the gameplay is, ...
If you do so, you should more concern on the last 4 points, I told you the first 5 points just a little things.

..., but if you have a **** computer i dont see how you're going to succeed in dota anyway.
:lol: If you wanna know, I quit dota since I become unbeatable. Why? Because I'm bored with same hero, same item, and same strategy every time I won a round.

Isn't it unfair? When someone give opinion about how bad dota is, you told him that he was jealous, but when someone call you a dota-cheerleader because you give opinion about how good dota is, you deny it.

about the terrains(more doodads=more lag for **** comp peeps) and the spells,
You must be never terrain a map before.

Whoa, heating up a little?--i feel it. Your last 4 points weren't exactly supporting facts that the game sucks, just blah. You quit dota cuz your unbeatable, that is just great you deserve an e-cookie unfortunately im not gona take the time to google an image for you but gratz. There are games called All Random, its kinda when everyone gets a random hero? Yeah its good for the stage you are at. I didnt specificaly call anyone jealous, i said there are people who are jealous but i didn't call him jealous. I dont even think he had much to negative shit to say about dota, the game itself, but more on the community. And, lol, yes i do terrain for your information and cinnematic doodads massed can be laggy for players, even certain other none annimated doodads. I admit im not the best terrainer but i do know wtf im talking about, ok.

Level 10

So, why? Because of the damn WOWgold link at the top? :roll:
Would be nice to get a detailed and true explaination for this, since blizzard doesn't give one, it's up to you to do it, VG! I hope you are a little more frank to the mapping community (which is, I think more on wc3sear.ch than on battle.net/mod)... :D

Level 13
Gwen Stefani said:
Whoa, heating up a little?--i feel it.
Isn't it you? :roll: Heh, I'm unflammable on internet. :p

Gwen Stefani said:
And, lol, yes i do terrain for your information and cinnematic doodads massed can be laggy for players, even certain other none annimated doodads. I admit im not the best terrainer but i do know wtf im talking about, ok.
Just play Blizzard's melee map with awesome terrain, 2v2. There are mass of units since it is melee game. Is that giving lags?

I'm sick with argument like this, it had been discussed many times. If you want bother yourself to search threads about dota, then you would get many opinions not just from me.

Now this really getting an off-topic. Why don't you let me and most of people here to hate dota because we have reasonable arguments, and I let you all dota-lover to play your beloved map. Fair enough, eh? Nobody hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.