• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BlackBook Lite (Next-gen Banlist)

Reactions: ZlatniLav
This tool originates from here

BlackBook 0.1.3
Copyright (c) 2007-2008, E.Sandberg (Risc) and A.Sahlin (destructoBOT)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note: We have branched BlackBook into something we call 'BlackBook Lite' (version 0.1.1.0 onward). This version does not include the instant-messaging part, but has recieved a massive overhaul and lots of bugs have been fixed.

For news, see below.

This tool requires WinPcap (http://www.winpcap.org/install)

BlackBook is a next-gen blacklist by two guys from Sweden.
It features global nickname/ip bans with an approval-system, auto-refresher, delay-reducer, automatic kicking of high latency and foreign players, voting-system, slot-saver, and more. It can to some extent also be used as an instant messenger.

BlackBook automatically recognizes if you are using an old version of the software, and alerts you of course, but we do suggest that you visit the BlackBook-website instead of using the download provided here.

Post bugs/suggestions in this thread.

Note: This has not been tested on Vista.

Changelog:

0.1.3 (19-04-2009)
- Supports Warcraft 3 patch 1.23
- New feature: users can "trap" their mouse cursor inside WC3's window while playing
- New feature: silent mode (no text output in the lobby)
- New feature: a "Launch"-button that starts WC3 in windowed mode
- Patch-fix: real-time changing of the hosting delay working again!
- Includes the newest version of SharpPcap with a bunch of bugfixes and improvements
- Countless small bugfixes and optimizations as usual

0.1.2 (04-01-2009)
- Added support for bans from WC3Banlist, more info in the imports-folder
- Implemented a secondary latency check which utilizes Battle.NET packets
- Added slot ratio to ban-messages
- BlackBook now alerts you if a friend on Battle.NET has joined a game
- BlackBook now plays a sound when someone leaves and when the game is full
- Re-enabled the "Select Countries"-button in the Config-form
- Added a button for easy access to all available commands
- A couple of minor bugfixes and optimizations

0.1.1.5 (26-11-2008)
- Added new command, /dotaver, that displays the current DotA version (experimental)
- Added support for multithreading
- Major improvements to the voting system

0.1.1 (25-11-2008)
- A couple of new settings and tweaks for the autorefresher.
- New IP-databases.
- Uncountable bugfixes

Keywords:
banlist, ban list, blackbook, black book, delay reducer, delay, autorefresh, autorefresher, wc3
Contents

BlackBook Lite (Next-gen Banlist) (Binary)

Reviews
16:23, 22nd Dec 2009 TriggerHappy: This could be useful and apparently it works properly.
Level 2
Isn't that a hosting bot? I would've guessed most people picked a non-bot solution if the choise was present (which it is, since BlackBook does those things Bart described).

Level 4
I tried this and have a couple of problems with it so in order to help you improve your product and gain support here they are:

Firstly, I only wanted to try this product, to see how good it was and if I wanted to actually use it as a replacement for Banlist. However, to my dismay, I found out that in order to use this product at all, you have to register. Now I dont know about anybody else but I dont really want to register just to open it and see exactly how good it is, I want to just be able to download and use (maybe have added benefits if you register but I dont think it should be a must.)

(So anyways I went and registered just to check it out)

Secondly, the GUI is very minimal, if you take a look at Banlist, you see tabs with different pages for all your needs. Blackbook only has a UI for the settings (I am talking about the program here I know that you cant have a UI in-game). Why dont you have a larger window with places for you to set settings and tweak the program to your needs.

Lastly, the (rather small) issue of accessibility, the installer was a bit lacking (although I understand that there isnt that much to change apart from shortcuts) and then when I wanted to uninstall the product I found that the start menu had no shortcut to an uninstaller, meaning have to go open control panel -> add/remove programs ect which is far more tedious.

Of course I understand that this program is in a relatively early stage of development and some of the above mentioned problems may already be known and you may have plans to address them but I mentioned them anyways.

I hope this helps :)

Level 2
I tried this and have a couple of problems with it so in order to help you improve your product and gain support...
I cannot thank you enough for offering us your time and interest! :)

Firstly, I only wanted to try this product, to see how good it was and if I wanted to actually use it as a replacement for Banlist. However, to my dismay, I found out that in order to use this product at all, you have to register. Now I dont know about anybody else but I dont really want to register just to open it and see exactly how good it is, I want to just be able to download and use (maybe have added benefits if you register but I dont think it should be a must.)
The reason you have to register at all is because of the global banlist functionality. Every time you ban someone with BlackBook it automatically uploads the ban to our database, and for orders sake we need to have some form of user structure. We tried to make the registration as simple and fast as possible, but of course it's more tedious than no registration at all.

Secondly, the GUI is very minimal, if you take a look at Banlist, you see tabs with different pages for all your needs. Blackbook only has a UI for the settings (I am talking about the program here I know that you cant have a UI in-game). Why dont you have a larger window with places for you to set settings and tweak the program to your needs.
There will be a gradual development of the UI as we implement more of your (the users) ideas. As of now, with BlackBook Lite, all the settings and tweaks are available in the configuration-window (we always aim to keep a minimalistic feel on our applications).

Lastly, the (rather small) issue of accessibility, the installer was a bit lacking (although I understand that there isnt that much to change apart from shortcuts) and then when I wanted to uninstall the product I found that the start menu had no shortcut to an uninstaller, meaning have to go open control panel -> add/remove programs ect which is far more tedious.
I'll see to it that an Uninstall-feature will be present in our next release (which you may want to check out if you are using WC3Banlist already).

Appreciate your feedback, check back for the next version which will be released soon!

Level 2
Alight, it's been some time and now I'm ready to give it a second try!
Getting rid of the whole messaging part sounds like a good change. It was nothing more than obsolete anyway, not to mention lacking compared to the means of communication that pretty much everyone has nowadays (WC3 itself, for one).

But more importantly, I look forward to less bugs... So time to test it!

Also, a very late reply to some stuff on the last page:
1) I did open BlackBook before I even started WC3
2) Banlist bans are stored in an .xml file and can easily be read from there, be it with notepad or anything... Bottom line is, it would be very easy to import them.
Just replace some parameters, although I'm pretty sure it's all plain text...

EDIT: First problem: I am unable to configure which countries are allowed. Nothing happens when I click 'Select Countries'.
I see this is a seemingly known bug. Also listed as (FIXED) on your forum, except it's not. I suppose that's the upcoming version... How annoying. Well, I can always hope it remembered my previous settings...

EDIT 2: Crashed after entering a few commands, none of which worked. Also rendered VCK unable to refresh. Apparently, the two does not work together, an issue I did not have with the old version.

Last edited:
Level 2
Yes, we have already implemented support for XML bans and it will be available in the next release. I hope you find BBLite ligthyears better (because frankly, it is!).

Level 2
I get a strange error which doesnt appear to be in english. Except i can never read it because the program 'stops responding' and closes almost instantly. This happens when i try to log in (i am registered).

Level 3
hmm... i registered in the site but the mail never came

i can use my account in the program anyways but not in the site

i banned someone in a game but how to show the ban info? it only says querying blackbook db for global ip/nickname bans... and never shows if they are banned or not

also i play on a private server does that affects in something?