• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Black City Doom 1.2

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Black City Doom is a part of the Tropic Adventure series.
You start with a paladin and a warrior. If you play solo you control the other hero.
Your main quest is to slay Black, City, and Doom. Then to complete the game also have to kill 200 undead.
There are some minibosses also that drop items.
There are shops around the map, but they offer only healing mana, hp or buy ankh.
There are teleportation points around the map for faster transportation.

Once you complete the main quest the game is over.

Features:
Custom Bounty and XP
Custom Music
Transportation Points
Random Wold Drops
Item Drops from bosses
Contents

Black City Doom 1.2 (Map)

Reviews
18:34, 4th Apr 2016 Rufus: Rufus ReviewMap ScoreGameplay:9 / 30Aesthetics:11 / 20Total:20 / 50 Rating Chart 45-505/5 Highly Recommended35-444/5 Recommended25-343/5 Useful15-242/5 Lacking0-141/5 Unacceptable Gameplay I played this with its...
Paillan
5 - 4 - 2017 Moderation No changes were made in more than 3 months which means that no changes are inteded to be made. Acording to rules, this implies that your map will now be classified as substandard. If you wish to revert this decision you can PM...

M

18:34, 4th Apr 2016
Rufus:
profilepic210991_9.gif
Rufus Review
Map Score
Gameplay:9 / 30
Aesthetics:11 / 20
Total:20 / 50

Rating Chart
45-505/5 Highly Recommended
35-444/5 Recommended
25-343/5 Useful
15-242/5 Lacking
0-141/5 Unacceptable

mapdev.gif
Gameplay
I played this with its creator. I was playing the main damage dealer / Tank and he was playing the supportive character. It is a pretty basic dungeon crawler with non-edited creeps placed along a track that you need to run through in order to get to the bosses. the bosses themselves are not very exciting fights, since they have no special abilities, just auto-attack to death.

The heroes abilities was not too well executed either. Although it was nice having a super slowing ability, it was not at alla balanced. The heroes need a kit rework while retaining their roles as Warrior and support.

As for the creeps scattered over the map. htey are not needed in order to clear the map. After only a few minutes I was already at maximum level, and could just run past the creeps in order to get to the bosses, slay them and proceed to win.

However, the concept of having one Warrior hero and one support is nice. I liked the kind of team-work feeling we got even though the map was pretty basic. Based on this concept, I believe you can turn this into something good eventually.

This game needs a lot of balancing and new ideas in order to be approved.

terrianforum.gif
Aesthetics
The terrain needs a lift. Currently the terrain is made up by almost entirely default doodads. A few custom doodads can be seen, but they are not enough to create a really interesting terrain. The terrain has been updated since my first look at this, and has become better. However, there are more to do here.

I like the ideas with indicating he path for the players so they know where to go, as the maps layout might be pretty confusing. Although I would have picked something else instead of circle of powers. Something smaller like a small torch or floating light. I would however recommend to redo the map layout, so that indicators won't be needed at all.

The description could also use a lift. It is informative, but not very attractive in its current state. The screenshot is not working. I recommend adding more screenshots in hidden tags insteaad of links to another page.

The imported icons was working and was fitting.

triggersandscriptsforum.gif
Bugs
None I could find.

updatesandnewsforum.gif
Summary
This is not yet a really great dungeon crawler. There is a lot of room for improvement, but in its current state it is not very exciting. With some more love on the terrain and perhaps creating a few more custom units, this could be approvable.

I hope this review will encourage you to improve your map further!

Status set to Awaiting update.

15:54, 8th Apr 2016
Ardenian:
Ardenian's Review

mapdev.gif
Gameplay
I agree with all points in the review of Rufus.

Black City Doom offers a handful of heroes with default abilities.
The players are thrown into action, there is hardly a story behind the game and the gameplay
majorly consists of hak'n'slash. Creeps are default ones, too.

The heroes are supposed to play a particular role, like Tank, Damager Dealer or caster.
One can see, stan0033, that you thought about how to design them, but their quality is not sufficient enough.
Think about more out of the corner, what about custom abilities, some more tricks and combinations ?
Abilities could influence each other, for example.

The difficulty is too unbalanced. The first creep groups are average-easy, but the Satyr groups are already a lot more difficult.
You should try to find some balance and linearity. Of course some creeps can be stronger than others, but only making them having more health points and more damage is not innovative.

terrianforum.gif
Aesthetics
The terrain is not acceptable. I am not going to say much more new points than Rufus already said.
It is neither attractive terrain with a decent design nor creative and unique.
I recommend you to take a look on our tutorial section for some decent terraining tutorials.

Issues
  • I somehow managed to teleport myself in the final area, with the golems, when moving close to the gate right to the starting location.
  • Item drops should not stack on each other.
  • Please do not link the changelog from a Pastebin, but post it in the map description itself.
  • You should add Locust to the Arrow units and you should reveal the path else than with an owl

updatesandnewsforum.gif
Summary
Black City Doom needs a lot more work and love, stan0033.

At the moment, it is too simple and lacking features, as well as the presented content does not promise quality and an enjoyable playing experience.

Set to Awaiting Update.

Level 26
profilepic210991_9.gif
Rufus Review
Map Score
Gameplay:9 / 30
Aesthetics:6 / 20
Total:15 / 50

Rating Chart
45-505/5 Highly Recommended
35-444/5 Recommended
25-343/5 Useful
15-242/5 Lacking
0-141/5 Unacceptable

mapdev.gif
Gameplay
I played this with its creator. I was playing the main damage dealer / Tank and he was playing the supportive character. It is a pretty basic dungeon crawler with non-edited creeps placed along a track that you need to run through in order to get to the bosses. the bosses themselves are not very exciting fights, since they have no special abilities, just auto-attack to death.

The heroes abilities was not too well executed either. Although it was nice having a super slowing ability, it was not at alla balanced. The heroes need a kit rework while retaining their roles as Warrior and support.

As for the creeps scattered over the map. htey are not needed in order to clear the map. After only a few minutes I was already at maximum level, and could just run past the creeps in order to get to the bosses, slay them and proceed to win.

However, the concept of having one Warrior hero and one support is nice. I liked the kind of team-work feeling we got even though the map was pretty basic. Based on this concept, I believe you can turn this into something good eventually.

This game needs a lot of balancing and new ideas in order to be approved.

terrianforum.gif
Aesthetics
The terrain needs a lift. Currently the terrain is made up by almost entirely default doodads. A few custom doodads can be seen, but they are not enough to create a really interesting terrain.

The "Black" voidwalker boss is way too large and is covering a big portion of the screen. This should be reduced.

the imported icons was working however and was fitting.

Bugs
None I could find.

updatesandnewsforum.gif
Summary
This is not yet a really great dungeon crawler. There is a lot of room for improvement, but in its current state it is not very exciting. With some more love on the terrain and perhaps creating a few more custom units, this could be approvable.

I hope this review will encourage you to improve your map further!

Rating set to 2/5 and I think it Needs Fix.

Hello, just tested the map, here's my review
1-No map description ingame ''Nodescript''
2-Loading Screen is empty
3-Terrain is flat and ugly
(No appropriate tile variation)
4-Very few items you can get (No shops)
5-Some enemies that you can't reach
6-Boss fights are annoying (No special tactics to follow in order to win)
7-Too many creeps that drain mana
8-You reach level 10 after completing 40% of the map then it gets boring

I'll give this map 3/5 will gladly change/update my rating when you've added the necessary changes, you can also tell me if you don't like my review and I'll gladly remove my rating and comment.

EDIT (9/26/2016): Changed my rating to 4/5 due to adding necessary changes.

Last edited:
Level 23
"The map mostly involves slowly grinding down high life, non-threatening foes while collecting key after key to unlock a succession of doors."

I made this statement in regard to your other map, replace "keys" with 3 bosses and the same applies.
They may have different names, but are mostly the same in this regard.
The saving grace of this one is that it doesn't appear to have been made in under 3 hours. Though, on the flip side, it also means that the game is an incredible chore to play due to how long it is, and how dreadfully the same it is all the way through.

Last edited:
Level 19
5 - 4 - 2017 Moderation

No changes were made in more than 3 months which means that no changes are inteded to be made. Acording to rules, this implies that your map will now be classified as substandard. If you wish to revert this decision you can PM a map reviewer once you have updated the map.

Set to Substandard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!