• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Better than Lady Gaga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Implying any cover can ever be better than the original.
Implying metal covers are ever better than the original.

Level 10
The goth version above is good. It's not my taste, but it's a good cover.

The metal remix, on the other hand, is just the usual humbug. I don't mind me some good metal now and then, but I just hate that lazy ketchup attitude to "covers".
Is that caviar? It need some ketchup! Now all them ketchup fans can enjoy it too.

Edit: Maybe, well, it's mostly the chorus that's been ketchupped. The rest isn't actually that...bad, (or is it just me?)

Level 35
Yes, let's all hate Lady Gaga because she's famous. I don't know how many voice distortion effects they're using, but she definitely didn't achieve all this fame with her looks...

Seriously though, her stylist deserves credit for turning an ugly milf into something relatively nice looking.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Yes, let's all hate Lady Gaga because she's famous. I don't know how many voice distortion effects they're using, but she definitely didn't achieve all this fame with her looks...

Seriously though, her stylist deserves credit for turning an ugly milf into something relatively nice looking.
I approve of this message. Hating everything that's popular is incredibly stupid. You can bet your ass that each and every one of the bands/artist that are now refered to as legends had similar crap said about them.

Level 22
I don't hate Lady Gaga, but imo her music sucks. I wouldn't say she's pretty either, and the fact that she uses voice distortion effects and auto-tune to be able to sing tells me she doesn't have any real skills. Virtually anyone can make music with FL Studio and auto-tune.

That's my two cents on the matter.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
and the fact that she uses voice distortion effects and auto-tune to be able to sing tells me she doesn't have any real skills. Virtually anyone can make music with FL Studio and auto-tune.
This only appears to be the case. But then why do you think she hit platinum and your everyday composing joe didn't? I don't listen to Gaga, I probably never will, but to say she's talentless is stupid. Autotune, even setting aside that I don't personally like it, is popular. That's why she does it, and that's really all there is to it. This idea that autotune is only used to cover up for people that can't sing needs to die already. it is very common for talented and less talented singers alike to use autotune to sell more records. And some of them I reckon do it because it provides them with a sound they like.

I wouldn't say she's pretty either
No arguments there, dude.

Obviously, almost every studio version of a song has auto-tune parts. You should rather watch some of her live performances to truly know if she has a good voice or not.

And obviously everyone likes something else, I for example don't like metal at all, yet like pop. But I know that a lot of other people like metal, so I can't say anything about that, it's your type of song I guess.

To give you an example of a non-studio version, here's one:

Also, if you hate her just because of her outfits, doesn't mean that she's terrible. Ok so maybe she is terrible but you never know and that's why a lot of other famous singers these days don't get any attention because that everyone these days thinks that new artists are just junk, except for beiber and kesha, those 2 are snooki's poof.

Last edited:
The thing I hate is she is known only because of the looks, pointing to the fact, audience listens to music with eyes, not ears. There is huge amount of crap out there worse than her, but if not for her looks, she would be some average musician, who will be known only to minority of people. Just look at eurovision, Lordi won the contest, while Terasbetoni which are better band had very low place, because they didn't wear masks and such shit like the first band.

Level 35
As all things created by humans, music itself never has been the only important factor in its production or manifestation. Looks, performance, advertising and individual preferences/mood all play roles and it's stupid to be surprized by that fact as they always did.

Level 7
The thing I hate is she is known only because of the looks, pointing to the fact, audience listens to music with eyes, not ears. There is huge amount of crap out there worse than her, but if not for her looks, she would be some average musician, who will be known only to minority of people. Just look at eurovision, Lordi won the contest, while Terasbetoni which are better band had very low place, because they didn't wear masks and such shit like the first band.

Don't bring Lordi into this. Lordi is fking amazing, they deserved that win. How often does metal get to win Eurovision?

Yes, metal makes everything beautiful.

Ikr

Level 8
The fact that she is famous and a lot of people loves her proves that she has talent and skills.. but..

I don't like her songs and also the videos.. i believe that it is full of Blasphemies.. sorry for the word Gaga fans.. no intention to offend anybody :)

i agree with fladder though.. Pop would be biased against Metal just the same

Level 14
The fact that she is famous and a lot of people loves her proves that she has talent and skills..

Of course! All famous people are talented! Reality TV is real! Everyone's a winner! Dinosaurs are just elaborate hoaxes! The world will end in 2012! People are intelligent!

...and I'm your father.

Looks > Music.

Not the first song played though...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_music_videos_aired_on_MTV

Off-Topic: Sarah Palin is the next Dan Quayle.

//\\==//\\

Level 7
So people still like screamo?

I thought this "music" had finally disintegrated.

I don't dislike any kind of music, but there is a requirement that it has to be music, unlike screamo.

Level 11
In my opinion Lady Gaga sucks, and not only Lady Gaga but generally commercial music sucks.

I prefer metal as a genre, melodic death metal. Bands like Dimension Zero, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity etc.
And when you commented on vocals, thats not screaming that style calls growl, and it is an art. Everyone can sing a song that will later be processed in the studio and so would anyone be able to say that he can sing. And unlike that growlat should know and you must have a strong vocal cords that can sustain this style of singing. And if you think that everyone can, how to call people who have no idea about "the screaming", than try it.

Don't bring Lordi into this. Lordi is fking amazing, they deserved that win. How often does metal get to win Eurovision?

I'm not comparing Lordi to other eurovision songs, I'm just comparing them to Teräsbetoni. It's obvious Lordi won because of masks, the votes of those rockers who wanted to 'ruin' wouldn't be enough, I know of people not listening to rock, yet they voted for Lordi.

Level 7
I know of people not listening to rock, yet they voted for Lordi.

That I can see as being voted on for appearance. If a lot of that happened then Lordi shouldn't have won, but I doubt many people voted on Lordi just because they are monster people.

EDIT:
and when you commented on vocals, thats not screaming that style calls growl, and it is an art.

I realize what growl is, my favorite Melodic Death Metal band is The Agonist. Compared to her growl, this guy is screaming. I mean, you can consider it a growl because it probably is, but it sounds more of a scream to me.
EDIT 2:
^ I'm not trying to downgrade/attack the music (in EDIT) I feel as if it is another style, so I wrote "screaming" instead of growl. As to the point of being difficult to do, I agree, it is very difficult and can damage your throat. (I believe that's what happen to Matt Tuck of BFMV, but not sure) ANYONE who says its JUST screaming into a mic should attempt it first, and then say its JUST screaming into a mic.

Level 11
That I can see as being voted on for appearance. If a lot of that happened then Lordi shouldn't have won, but I doubt many people voted on Lordi just because they are monster people.

EDIT:

I realize what growl is, my favorite Melodic Death Metal band is The Agonist. Compared to her growl, this guy is screaming. I mean, you can consider it a growl because it probably is, but it sounds more of a scream to me.
EDIT 2:
^ I'm not trying to downgrade/attack the music (in EDIT) I feel as if it is another style, so I wrote "screaming" instead of growl. As to the point of being difficult to do, I agree, it is very difficult and can damage your throat. (I believe that's what happen to Matt Tuck of BFMV, but not sure) ANYONE who says its JUST screaming into a mic should attempt it first, and then say its JUST screaming into a mic.

yeah, but there is more growl styles; like scream growl, death growl etc.
and this type he's use is called scream growl so you said right he screams. but he dont have strong vocal to do that (my oppinion) becouse i listening bands thats exist for many years and do that music ganre like Dimension Zero, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Insomnium etc.

Level 11
Metal is commercial music as much as any other socially accepted music is.

As long as you're not listening to symphonic national bolshevik hard rock, you're mainstream to me.

You are using some drugs or something??? Metal is commercial music??

Well there is bands that making commercial music like this one, but sure im not listening bands like it.

Level 13

Well there is bands that making commercial music like this one, but sure im not listening bands like it.

Metallica, Slipknot, Slayer, Disturbed, and alot of others are very commercial metal bands.

Metal is just as commercial as almost any other genre. The only genre I'd say isn't commercial is undergound punk/grindcore/hardcore offshoots.

....wat?
who the fuck doesn't like music -_-

James Blunt's father and one of my friends to name two.

In truth, out of all pop-stars I'd probably consider Lady Gaga one of the most listenable (rather not use the word good here, especially since this is concerning pop music). Meh, at least she can perform without tons of autotune or any of that shit so she's at least a passable singer.
Regardless, I'd never listen to here work on my own accord

Level 35

No, metal is just as commercial/mainstream as any other music that has a wide base of audience. While billions of dollars of profit is being made from metal or 'revolutionary' music, I'm not going to say it's not commercial or doesn't represent a certain trend.

It may not be Lady Gaga, but "metal", especially if we use such a wide definition is indeed popular/commercial/trend music.

Yeah, I too listen to metal and pretty much nothing else, so do a few million other people in this world.

You'd be on drugs to say that there's a form of music that's got a even partially mass appeal and say that there is no "mainstream" variety of it - basically things like Slipknot (blablabla could be or could not be metal). Music makes money, so of course for every truly creative artist there's the artist that simply gives the people what makes money - even though Metal has a sort of front of being "that revolutionary form of music that doesn't care about popularity," it still has enough mass appeal to warrant sell-outs.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Your typical metalhead is pretty similar to your typical indie fanboy.

Stunningly weak, ordinary and tedious indivifual, who takes on a style that seems tough and cool just to make friends and avoid getting bullied. Part of being in this pack means that you gotta constantly show everybody else how strong and independent you are, and make sure they all know they're sellouts or conformists.

The irony is completely lost on them.

Level 8
well for me (as a musician)... music, regardless of genre, is to be appreciated and is a form of art from talented individuals.. may it be pop, rock, hiphop, etc.. no point in comparing them to each other, because thats the main point of having divisions.. each genre has their own weak and strong points, which must be respected if not liked.

Level 35
You'd be on drugs to say that there's a form of music that's got a even partially mass appeal and say that there is no "mainstream" variety of it - basically things like Slipknot (blablabla could be or could not be metal). Music makes money, so of course for every truly creative artist there's the artist that simply gives the people what makes money - even though Metal has a sort of front of being "that revolutionary form of music that doesn't care about popularity," it still has enough mass appeal to warrant sell-outs.

Then there's non-profit political revolutionary music.

Status
Not open for further replies.