• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Beta/WIP] Warcraft 1: Orcs and Humans Campaign Remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
[Beta/WIP] Warcraft 1: Orcs and Humans Campaign Remake v0.2

Hey, I've been working on this campaign for quite a while now, it's still WIP so don't expect too much, I'm just putting it here so I can get some advice on how to improve it from the pros :)

I've got 12 maps(missions), 4 new unit models (resources), cinematic intros with briefing for the first 4 or so maps, the briefing for the rest + objectives can be found in "Quests" (F9).

When I started this I was mostly thinking about getting the Warcraft 1 story, maps and units into WC3, not the gameplay because I personally think Warcraft 3's gameplay is vastly superior to Warcraft 1's.

I wanted to get the story out because the Warcraft series is an extremely large one and the first game, which includes a lot of lore, is still in DOS, it's annoying playing the 2nd and 3rd game without knowing the story behind the 1st one and how it all started. Almost every location in the campaign is a very well known location on World of Warcraft such as Karazhan, Black Rock Spire, Northshire, Dead Mines etc. and in this campaign important events about these locations are explained through fun Warcraft 3-style gameplay.

To-do:
-Cinematic epilogue/prologue
-Orc Campaign
-Detail the maps a little bit more
-Make Swamp of Sorrows more swamp-y

Quick List of Features:

-All of the 12 human missions from the first Warcraft have been remade.

-100% lore friendly, not a single bit of lore is taken or removed, the briefing, objectives and map layout are identical to the ones in Warcraft 1.

-8 New Units/Buildings: Human Catapult (New Model),Orc Spearman (New Model), Orc Necrolyte (New Model), Orc Warlock, Human Church (New Model), Human Conjurer (New Model), Human Archer, Orc Pig Farm

-New Upgrades and Tech-tree from Warcraft 1.

-The Campaign is a lot like the one in Warcraft 3, it has got a chapter selection screen and you unlock more chapters as you go on, it's not in 12 different .w3m files, as soon as you finish Chapter One, Chapter Two starts and also becomes playable from the Chapter Selection.

-No clumsy or silly dialogue that drags the story down

You can see the description + minimap for all of the missions here: http://www.wowwiki.com/Orcs_%26_Humans_missions#Human_Campaign

WHAT I NEED HELP WITH!:
-How to use video files (such as .avi) as cinematics that can be played from the campaign selection screen (Just like Warcraft 3 has)
-Bug Reports!
-If there's anything you can think of that can improve the campaign, tell me, just make sure it's lore-friendly, that's my most important goal!

Requires:
-Frozen Throne
-Made with editor version 1.24 but I'm sure you can play it on older versions.

Changelog:
v0.2: - (All previous saves are compatible with this version)
-Detailed maps a LOT more
-Added cinematic briefings for all maps
-Changed the "Main Quest Discovered" to "Main Quest" when the missions starts, also finished listing the objectives and mission name in all the missions after the intro cinematic.
-More variety in quest icons
-Added player defeat conditions for all maps
-Loads of other things I CBA listing, mostly bug fixes.

Resource Credits:
General Frank = Orc Spearthrower
Red XIII = Church
Kitabatake = Catapult
Xaran Alamas = Necrolyte
If I'm forgetting anyone, please post your name / what you did!

Attachments

• Orcs and Humans - Human Campaign.w3n
    2.1 MB · Views: 897
Last edited:
Level 2
well, its a nice project. but it feels too much like wc3.. why dont u use the wc1 stats for all the units?
you should also use more custom models, for example there is a model for wc2 town hall and it fits better than the wc3 one (and brings more new thins into the campaign which is always welcome). human archer/crossbowman should be avaible too.. just search through the models section.
use custom music from warcraft 1 or 2.

the terrain is too flaat and empty, this really should be improved. moar doodads, moar use of height tools.

but dont think its a bad campaign.. i like that simple gameplay.. and i never played wc1 up to now, i was waiting a long time for someone who will finally remake it for wc3.
the maps seem very closely overall and with some improvement this really can be a very nice remake.

Level 2
amaroxx:
Thanks for the feedback, I'm working on more detail but I kind of want to keep the WC3 stats since WC1's are pretty boring, every single unit is pretty much just a copy of the units from the opposite team only with a different sprite :/

Mechanical:
I looked everywhere, on 3 different major WC3 modding sites + google and I couldn't find a finished WC1 remake, could you please link it :S?
And there are 16 imported objects so far, it's in early beta :)

Status
Not open for further replies.