• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BETA ENDS March 12 (2021) - [TODAY]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I really like how the icons at the top of the screen (forum, maps, models, etc.) become tiny and appear at the top of the screen when scrolling down, so we don't need to scroll back up to the top if we want to click on them. It is quite a fantastic quality of life change.

Edit: Just curious, is there a reason why some pages on hive have different icons for the tabs?
1615722684816.png

Some have new H, while others have an older H.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I really like how the icons at the top of the screen (forum, maps, models, etc.) become tiny and appear at the top of the screen when scrolling down, so we don't need to scroll back up to the top if we want to click on them. It is quite a fantastic quality of life change.

Edit: Just curious, is there a reason why some pages on hive have different icons for the tabs?
View attachment 375483
Some have new H, while others have an older H.
It's possibly a caching thing.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Just a small annoyance at the top navigation bar:
Yeah it's on the list. There are just still some breaking bugs I need to fix.
Edit: also curious if an option exists to increase the number of posts shown per thread page? The current number feels very low and changing page makes the forum feel a lot more dated in terms of user experience.
Updated to 50 pages.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
This new version of the web obviously need work to reach the level of the previous one... It seems that we are still in a BETA.
So why force it for everyone?
Why not wait until you have a better version and then make it available?
It was ready. We had addressed all major concerns. If you have some gripes with it, feel free to post in the feedback forum. I would have loved for you to have done that before we released though.

Level 20
@Juveqis

I don't know, I've been using the new site since it launched and sure, there are some birthing pains (e.g. I'm still mourning my 350+ missing posts... <weeps>), but let's be honest - these are all fairly minor issues and all the really important stuff works fine. You can use the forum, download and upload resources, browse the asset library... And even if something isn't working, it gets fixed really, really fast.

Besides, it's not <the game which should not be named> where developers were hidden behind 50 layers of corporate red tape and you never really knew if or what they were going to fix, but Hive. Both @Archian and @Ralle are doing an amazing job answering and adressing all bugs, criticisms or suggestions and I for one have absolutely zero doubts that all kinks will get ironed out soon.

So yeah, have some trust in the Moose and relax, we're in good hands here :)

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
It is really hard to find substandard reasources.
You mean because there isn't a button in "Quick links" to find them easier? I have also been planning to add a button on the last page of any result saying "X substandard results match this search, click here to view them" to naturally forward the user to the substandard results.
Also I think showing substandard reasources on the profile should be ticked as default not the way it is right now, it feels like having simple but useful edits are a shame right now that they don't even manually shown.
I think this is probably just a matter of "when nothing is set, do nothing", I feel you. It's just been the tendency that people delete them to hide them from their profiles and hiding them by default was a step to not have them deleted.

Level 7
That comment was not helpful at all. At least explain what you think needs more work.

It was ready. We had addressed all major concerns. If you have some gripes with it, feel free to post in the feedback forum. I would have loved for you to have done that before we released though.

@Juveqis

I don't know, I've been using the new site since it launched and sure, there are some birthing pains (e.g. I'm still mourning my 350+ missing posts... <weeps>), but let's be honest - these are all fairly minor issues and all the really important stuff works fine. You can use the forum, download and upload resources, browse the asset library... And even if something isn't working, it gets fixed really, really fast.

Besides, it's not <the game which should not be named> where developers were hidden behind 50 layers of corporate red tape and you never really knew if or what they were going to fix, but Hive. Both @Archian and @Ralle are doing an amazing job answering and adressing all bugs, criticisms or suggestions and I for one have absolutely zero doubts that all kinks will get ironed out soon.

So yeah, have some trust in the Moose and relax, we're in good hands here :)

Now that I have read my previous comment maybe have sounded too rude but it was not my intention! I know that you have put time and effort into this new design, there are also several things that I like :grin:

That said, I think we can agree that the change compared to the previous design is very "radical" and some of us will need some time to adapt. If I remember well you said NE interface would arrive at some point because, in my opinion, seeing that all the new design is based on Reforged colors and icons is not something that I will get used to easily...

1.gif

As soon as I can I will post some feedback... For example: I miss the Staff and members online window on the right side or the "New Media", "New Posts" options which gave the site a "feeling of life" and activity (I don't know where to find this).

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Edit: also curious if an option exists to increase the number of posts shown per thread page? The current number feels very low and changing page makes the forum feel a lot more dated in terms of user experience.
Updated to 50 pages.
@Linaze: For the record, having up to 50 posts shown per thread page can have a negative impact on the loading time of music threads (which link to at least one Youtube video per post), and also will increase the memory requirements for said threads.

Level 24
@Linaze: For the record, having up to 50 posts shown per thread page can have a negative impact on the loading time of music threads (which link to at least one Youtube video per post), and also will increase the memory requirements for said threads.
While true, how many of these threads are there (genuine question)?

Furthermore my initial request/question was for configurability, not necessarily a one-size-fits-all solution. I just find that having 10 or 20 (I can't remember what it was previously) posts per thread means as a user I end up smashing that like next page button a lot. Modern forum platforms such as discourse don't even work with pages but just load more posts as you scroll down which feels a lot more user-friendly and modern.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Four at the very least:
  • the Favorite song atm one
  • the Themes and OSTs one
  • the Random lyrics one
  • the Good song covers one

... but one can link to external content in any thread. And even images take up RAM, btw.

With Hive 1 iirc, we had 12 posts per page. With Hive 2, it was extended to maybe 20 (or was it 15?), and it became tedious to browse these threads on a 1GB RAM computer with a mechanical HDD

Is it significantly bad though?
It mainly depends on one's hardware, the web browser one uses and how many open tabs one keeps available always. The CPU and internet connection speed are imho mostly irrelevant here.

Furthermore my initial request/question was for configurability, not necessarily a one-size-fits-all solution.
I had understood it that way. My answer was more of a neutral fyi for everybody.

People are encouraged to browse the threads which have many images / videos / animated GIFs in them, on the devices they use often, to see whether it negatively impacts their browsing experience or not.

Modern forum platforms such as discourse don't even work with pages but just load more posts as you scroll down which feels a lot more user-friendly and modern.
Theoretically they are RAM gobblers, but things have been changing, and they continue to. As an example:

hm.. i noticed that when i'm attempting to view a 'skin' in 3D, that there are only a few models available, like the default for that texture, instead of many custom models that also share that texture. was it intended that way?
also, the custom texture doesn't even show on the model.. although i didn't check many textures like that.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
hm.. i noticed that when i'm attempting to view a 'skin' in 3D, that there are only a few models available, like the default for that texture, instead of many custom models that also share that texture. was it intended that way?
also, the custom texture doesn't even show on the model.. although i didn't check many textures like that.
On my list, thanks Misha :)

On my list, thanks Misha :)
hm ok, i tried to edit my naj'entus bundle today, to try and fix the lack of preview and a misnaming issue in my page's resource tab, but i found that nothing needs to be changed on the resource itself, so i wonder if we have a bug on the user page resource tab

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
hm ok, i tried to edit my naj'entus bundle today, to try and fix the lack of preview and a misnaming issue in my page's resource tab, but i found that nothing needs to be changed on the resource itself, so i wonder if we have a bug on the user page resource tab
Ah. What you're looking at is a thread redirect disguising as a bundle. I added it to my list.

Level 34
I like the new Hive, much better colors than the standard black/green variant.
Also, the site looks smoother than before. somehow better.
I like the new experience system instead of the old reputation which became useless. Rep parties anyone?
But, I see that Ralle implemented ,,FaceHiveBook" Like button.
Okay, on some things I just need to adapt after some time. Is here Advanced reply like before?

Status
Not open for further replies.