• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best must have resources for RPG's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
As some of you may know,I'm working on a large SPRPG(check my sig) and I was wondering what are some of the best resources to use for a RPG?links plz

Level 22
Depends on what you're gonna need to use; could you add some info about the game mechanics of your srpg? Also, are you willing to use vJass or jass systems?

Level 21
I'm sorry but I'm not english. Could you explain what exactly you mean withgame mechanics. Yes I already use a few so I certainly wouldn't mind using them

Level 21
Yeah it will have knockbacks,push,destructibles being destroyed on damage abilities etc. Just don't know what to use since there's so many and more than half the stuff in the spell section is needs fix. Ill use this though,thanks!

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Meh. Hard to say, a lot of them are debatable and mostly a mater of preference.

-Damage Detection system, to add critical chance, dodge, block and so on.
-knockback system, useful for some spells here and there.
-first person camera (personal preference)

That's about it, personally I play a RPG for the story and not for systems. I don't think you even not a lot of systems for the gameplay itself. You could make a RPG with the default abilities.

Last edited:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Iv'e added a poll to the map development thread

Ah, I see, but what I was talking about is to add both as an opportunity, or is this not possible ? it sounds as if gameplay will be determined with camera, so I guess it is not possible to include both systems, one with arrow keys and one with standard.

Level 21
Ah, I see, but what I was talking about is to add both as an opportunity, or is this not possible ? it sounds as if gameplay will be determined with camera, so I guess it is not possible to include both systems, one with arrow keys and one with standard.
I think it is possible.I'm just not completely sure how to do it

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I think it is possible.I'm just not completely sure how to do it

hm, I would suggest that you just add the normal one, and then after 'finishing' your map you try out a new one.
I mean, you can also add the choice to 'first-person'-camera that just show the map in 'first-person' ( well, it is not a first-person because you can still see the hero, but it will give a nice feeling either)

Level 21
hm, I would suggest that you just add the normal one, and then after 'finishing' your map you try out a new one.
I mean, you can also add the choice to 'first-person'-camera that just show the map in 'first-person' ( well, it is not a first-person because you can still see the hero, but it will give a nice feeling either)
What if i make it first person but the player can zoom out to regular camera?

Must have resources for RPGs:

- common sense
- dedication
- way too much free time
- a good idea
- mapping experience (seriously, do not start an RPG project if you've never made a map before)
- at least average skills all of the following topics: terraining, scripting, texturing, 3D-modelling, creative writing(!), object editing

The last point is important. Your map will suck if you miss out on one of those skills. You just can't rely on others if you want to create a good RPG. Eventually, you will always be on your own sooner or later.

Be aware that creating a good RPG at the level of quality of Sunken City, Iceborn or TKOK requires years of work.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

What if i make it first person but the player can zoom out to regular camera?

That would be nice either, but then still a movement-system with arrow-keys ? I can hardly imagine that this works smooth in wc3, arrow-keys with common camera.

Level 21
Must have resources for RPGs:

- common sense
- dedication
- way too much free time
- a good idea
- mapping experience (seriously, do not start an RPG project if you've never made a map before)
- at least average skills all of the following topics: terraining, scripting, texturing, 3D-modelling, creative writing(!), object editing

The last point is important. Your map will suck if you miss out on one of those skills. You just can't rely on others if you want to create a good RPG. Eventually, you will always be on your own sooner or later.

Be aware that creating a good RPG at the level of quality of Sunken City, Iceborn or TKOK requires years of work.
I got all these things except way too much free time

Status
Not open for further replies.