• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best map 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
As the year is drawing to a close, what about having a community vote on the best maps released during 2018 or something like that? Looking for something to play... :)

I can see 3 possible categories: 1) Best singleplayer map / campaign 2) Best melee multiplayer map 3) Best custom multiplayer map. A possible bonus category could be for the most notably updated map, where time from last update and amount of changes are taken into consideration.

The prize would be an icon and some reputation for each category. Perhaps also include a bonus category for best updated map, where amount of changes from one year and how long ago since the last update is taken into account.

Finalist would be nominated by users and then a jury could determine the winner.

Last edited:
Level 15
You're missing a lot of things, best icon, best model, best texture, best spell, best system, best spell pack, best music etc :p

I was thinking about that, but in the end it's all about producing maps for warcraft 3, the rest you mention are subsets of this goal. However, if staff is more intrested in recognizing other types of contributions im all for that, I'm just looking for the most impressive maps of the year I suppose.

Last edited:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I am not sure it will really be a fair poll. Everyone voting will either be mappers or fans of projects hosted on the site. We can't really get the majority of WC3 fans to vote.

That shouldn't stop you though. It could be Hive Best Map 2018.

What's the conditions? Does it have to have come out in 2018 or just be the best map still existing and working in 2018?

Level 15
I am not sure it will really be a fair poll. Everyone voting will either be mappers or fans of projects hosted on the site. We can't really get the majority of WC3 fans to vote.

That shouldn't stop you though. It could be Hive Best Map 2018.

What's the conditions? Does it have to have come out in 2018 or just be the best map still existing and working in 2018?

It could be both one for each, though if it's just going to be one than being worked on is sufficent as long as the progress can be varified as sufficently large. As for determining a winner, I can't really say I'm more interested in the actual nominations to be honest. The map could be tagged as well as a extra feature.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I feel the urge to cast some noteworthy nominations. Hentai Slideshow, School Shooter Simulator and Rapist Simulator are all par none the ultimate masterpieces the human mind can conjure on its brief time on Earth. I can't but mourn the passing of Director's Cut for these state-of-art creations more than deserve its label.

On a more serious but still off-topic note, Blizzard campaigns outdo community ones in my books so badly I can't play user made ones but out of pity. Voice acting, surgical timings of events, coherency across missions (in terms of quality and theme in both gameplay and story) are amazing. Community melee maps tend to have dubious stuff like creeps with possess and unconventional aggro ranges, warp gates, asymmetry in distances, resources and item drop pools, islands, shipyards... I can't commentate much on custom maps, but I hope Lua support comes soon so I can roll up my sleeves and show these scrubs some promised future features better the scene.

Now to my point. I don't like the idea of modding community voting for the best melee map. Also, custom games should be voted on a per-genre basis to reflect their respective niche player bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.