• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Some minor things to make this place way cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, this site is going pritty well into direction of being our new wc3saerch :D

But there are still some tihngs which I think would be cool if they were here...

1) We should be able to select 'Categories' "So for example by models category called "StarCraft" or "Bloodelf", by maps category called "Tower Defense" or "RPG")

2) We should select "Detailed' view where we see the picture of Map/Model/Whateva as well as details about the resource or "Compact" view where you just see the picture and the name

3) We should be able to choose how many items we want to display per page

4) There should be a new section called "Spells"

5) Section "Spells" should include category called "Tutorials" and/or "Systems" where people can teach other people how something works.

Well, these are my suggestions :)
I think this would make a great improvement to hiveworkshiop and bring it a step closer to our old superiour wc3search :D

Last edited:
Level 36
superior? I agree with some of your ideas, but I hardly think old spam ridden, slow-as-hell, terribly scripted, over-bandwidth-limits wc3sear.ch was any better then this place. Not by far. Perhaps the resource section was better, but remember, our resource section is still under constructions, so it's constantly being improved. In terms of forums and community, I much prefer the Hive :) Welcome aboard!

Level 32
Welcome VIRUS_OF_MADNESS

It looks like you are a very old member and have just made it home. As you noticed things are far different here at THW. The reasons for the transition are well documented in the news forums here and over there as well.

Ralle is our Chieftain and site owner: he maintains the resource section and is upgrading it constantly, if he jumps in on this thread you might get a better understanding of the situation.

The recent server move has complicated things and delayed many of the proposed improvements to our resource section.

Some of those that you have mentioned are already planned.

1) We should be able to select 'Categories' "So for example by models category called "StarCraft" or "Bloodelf", by maps category called "Tower Defense" or "RPG")
This has been suggested before and may only be a matter of time before it is implemented.

2) We should select "Detailed' view where we see the picture of Map/Model/Whateva as well as details about the resource or "Compact" view where you just see the picture and the name
This might be possible, but as far as I know is not yet planned.

3) We should be able to choose how many items we want to display per page
Once again, it's POSSIBLE, but unnecessary (IMO).

4) There should be a new section called "Spells"
The import of the spell maps has not yet occurred. When complete, this section will be very powerful.
The rules here will be far more strict.

5) Section "Spells" should include category called "Tutorials" and/or "Systems" where people can teach other people how something works.
The resource section itself is unlikely to include such material (however links to it might be provided).

Our Warcraft III Tutorials includes may tuts related to spell making.

Our Triggers & Scripts forums and sub-forums are an excellent place to ask questions, learn about spells or to post your own.

:coolgrunt:

Hey guys, yeah I am indeed new to this website, have been using wc3search for years, really a shame that it died :(

Yeah, the bandwith was indeed very slow, but I just really liked the 'user friendly interface' :)

It
This might be possible, but as far as I know is not yet planned.
I hope it will get implemented, for example in Models, Skins and Icons, it's the picture that matters. But when I am browsing for example through tools or spells, I want to see what the tool/spell does without needing to open up every single one of them.

It
Once again, it's POSSIBLE, but unnecessary (IMO).
I personally find it very annoying to switch pages every 3 seconds and I always browsed all things on wc3search having "ALL" resources displayed at once

It
The resource section itself is unlikely to include such material (however links to it might be provided).
So we can not send 'tutorial maps' any longer? :(
Thats really a shame, I always enjoyed going through the 'Systems' section looking for cool stuff like "How to save/load", bomber system and stuff like that... I think they were better then written tutorials, to write and to implement them into your map.

I have made systems myself, ever heard of "Arrow Key Moevement" and"First Person Movement"? I wanted to make more cool stuff but wc3search down :(
Is there any chance at all that the "Systems" category will be added to 'Spells' section? :S

Level 36
Uh hello? Of course systems are acceptable, we have a good number of them already! In terms of arrow key movement, that can be done very simply using World Editor Unlimited, but by all means, keep submitting them and if they are good (most of the time they are :p) then they will of course get submitted. Whatever system it is that you're creating, upload the map, it doesn't fit under spells, since it is still a map that you're uploading, not a mdl or skin etc.

In terms of your obsessiveness over page lengths: part of the reason why sear was so slow was because it tried to load a large amount of content per page. By setting it at a fixed rate, Ralle can make it so that it's optimized for our server and everybody's connection, so that it will work out best for us and you. The decision to allow users to modify the number of items per page may be added in the future, but to avoid bandwidth stress, it wont go very high, I imagine.

Well, it is always better to have 'too many choises' then 'too few'. If some people don't want to w8 for a minute for all Models to load, then they put 50 posts/page. But if people DO want to see All posts at the same time and can't, that is upsetting.

I always put 'All posts' and then go down Middle Clicking on the ones I like to bring them up in a new tab. (in Firefox)

Last edited:
Level 32
Categories Added

Our wish is Ralle's command!

The Chieftain has added a powerful category system to all the resource sections: it's now up to the resource creators to properly tag their submissions so that other users can easily find them.

Level 32
... users some responsibility to use the proper tags that describe their map correctly
Users are always given an opportunity to tag their resources when they are uploaded. Many of the imported resources already have viable tags attached.

As we mods go through the approval process we can assign tags (IF they are missing) and override the existing tags (if necessary).

Status
Not open for further replies.