• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Berserk with damage taken reduction (not increase)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
You know the spell 'Berserk' (Troll headhunters i believe), increases attack and movement speed at the cost of taking more damage. Basically, I changed the field that says 'damage taken increase' to a negative value. Unfortunately, whenever I used the spell it just essentially made the hero invulnerable (yet still attackable - I guess this could be usefull in the future) since he would take no damage... kinda weird. Any ideas? Thanks!
-Z

Level 24
Maybe you put in too large of a number; It's possible that berserk is a number that uses 1 as 100%, instead of 100 for 100%, and you put something like -2.

Level 7
Im guessing because that ability works in a different way than your thinking. What it does is multiply the damage to be dealt by your factor (in this case a negative). That means no matter what the damage being dealt is, after multiplying it is negative, and instead of dealing negative damage it does nothing. Thats just a guess though :p

Level 8
So, more to the point, I tried the same modification you wanted, Zorykos, at one point, and had the same problem. To the best of my experimentation I found that negative values never worked right for me.

A couple very good solutions to the problem involve triggers:
A) Trigger a caster unit to cast a form of something like Inner Fire to give the unit an armor buff of the same duration as the Berserk buff. This solution is a little worse than solution B because it means there will be two separate buffs in the Stat Card for the same ability. However, even Blizzard does that on some rare occasions, so worry not.
B) Add the Mountain Giant's Hardened Skin ability to the unit when Berserk is cast and remove it after the amount of time specified in Berserk. If Berserk is dispellable, you'll probably also need a trigger to occasionally check units of that type to see if they have the Hardened Skin ability when the Berserk buff is gone. Therefore, this solution is a little worse than the buff solution, which would be dispelled whenever the Berserk was dispelled automatically without a check. It also shows the Hardened Skin ability in the Command Card. If that's a problem for you, it can be solved.

Level 4
Thanks, and I did consider trying both raising armor (not necessarily through inner fire though that would probably work better than my previous ideas) or through hardened skin. The thing that bugs me about hardened skin is that (I believe - correct me if I'm wrong) it gives a % chance to ignore damage. As for Inner Fire, it could work and I'll consider it, however I would like to get this to work. Perhaps through triggers?

Level 9
This might help,
tomorrow im uploading a spell/system in my Spell Factory that does almost exactly what your asking for.
It allows you to add extra effects to the ability beserk (or any other buff orientated non-targeting spell).
Eg armor bonuses or Hardened skin.
If i have time I'll upload it tomorrow else you might have to wait a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.