• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Beer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Ever felt that you're sitting around your local watering hole, having your usual, and suddenly you start to notice things about what's in your glass? I mean beyond just getting tipsy from it. You're probably starting to form an opinion. Don't panic. Believe me, this isn't a bad thing. Sure, you might never look at a beer the same way again. But while change is scary, you're going to experience a brand new world forming around you.

This thread is about just that. Share your beer experience and help others climb the ladder from their regular premium lager to a bitter American IPA, a Belgian Strong Ale, a Trappist or a messed up Barley Wine.

Rating beer? That sounds pretentious and hard.

Shit, this isn't wine tasting. You're not supposed to be able to identify which grapes made the morning-dew sour gusto in a $24,000 1978 Montrachet taste like a pale spring morning after rain. You don't have to wear a tux and cite the Divine Comedy in italian. "Tasting" beer is no different than telling Minnie Ripperton from Ozzy Osbourne. Besides it's. fucking. beer. It's just that awesome.

Is there really any difference to beer?

Well there can't have been much variety in what you've tasted, can there? Pfft. There's an infinite amount of styles to beer, ranging from your standard Czech pilsner to the dry, sour taste of a Belgian gueuze. In fact, there's just too many different styles for me to maul over in this little introduction. So I believe a third party is in order if you want to study up on it: BA Guide to Beer Styles (To quote BA, it's far from the bible for beer styles. Take it like you do a tequila slammer: With a grain of salt.)

Temperature

I get that having a cold pilsner after work is great. But truth be told, most people drink their beer too damn cold. In so cold temperatures, the beer looses most of its taste. Most beers actually do best in room temperature, or perhaps slightly colder. If you want the full experience I really suggest you don't have it straight from the fridge.

The perfect pour

Uh... I really can't teach you the perfect pour. It's different for every beer you pour. What I can do, is teach you a simple pour that has proven to be really effective in releasing any beer's aromatics. Plus it looks fucking beautiful. So start with a clean glass. Which glass to use is a delicate science, but I find (even if it is a bit of a level one heresy) that a snifter, tulip, chalice and an ordinary pint glass goes a very long way here. If you don't have all the items, you can definitely make do with the ones you have. Now tilt the glass at a 45° angle. Pour the beer in the middle of the slope and very slowly bring the glass to a 90° angle. You should be about half-way when you're at 90°. Continue pouring in the center of the glass to build a nice creamy head of foam. Some people gradually add distance between the bottle and the glass at this stage, but that's up to you. This pour is quite simple to pull off, and it pretty much always delivers.

How do I rate beer?

Usually, there are five categories to evaluate when reviewing a beer: Appearance, aroma, palate, flavour and sometimes overall.
  • Appearance is the pour itself and, mainly, the visuals after it (ranging from head, sediment, colour and carbonation among others).
  • Aroma is putting the glass to your nose. Note all the beer's aromatic qualities. Sweet, roasty malts or dank herbal hops? It also helps to associate it with other smells you know better.
  • Palate is basically how the beer feels in your mouth and when you swallow it.
  • Flavour includes identifying flavours both mid- and aftertaste. Try to taste if the ingredients are well balanced or if there's a particular taste overruling others.
  • Overall is your overall impression. You can even include if you thought the bottle or label was sexy.

Now share your stories and try rating your favourites.

Level 34
Then they don't have to.

-------------------

I'm short on time here, but I just had an IPA this weekend that had a really nice hint of grapefruit. Also came in a liter sized bottle which is always a plus.

This weekend I also went to Steam Works (I'm giving away my location, *gasp*). Trying to find the beer I had, but I didn't hear the name the waitress said. I had ordered a Hefeweizen, but they were out so she recommended another beer. It was good though.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I tasted Port Brewing Company's Mongo recently. It's an American Double/Imperial IPA and it had really strong tones of juicy grapefruit. It also came with a crazy big hop presence, real sweet bitterness on the finish that lingers and some sweet tones of butterscotch. You should give it a try if you can come by it. Funny story how they named this one actually.
Port Brewing Company said:
A tribute beer brewed to honor the memory of our fallen solider, Columbus (a brewery kitten we knicknamed Mongo), who used each of his 9 lives in a short – but brazen – 10 months on this planet.

Let’s just say the little dude lived a hard life. Only, he wasn’t so little. In fact, he was the largest of five kittens born at the brewery in 2009. Mongo was so large in fact that his brothers and sisters kicked him out of the litter.

I told you dude had it rough.
I actually have some scribbles left from when I had it.

4.1/5
Poured from a 650 ml (22 oz) bottle into a snifter. No mention of bottling date in my notes (dammit). 8.50% ABV

appearance: 4 | aroma: 3 | palate: 5 | flavour: 4.5 | overall: 4

appearance: pours an opaque amber/gold body with a beautiful three finger fluffy head with solid retention, exactly the kind of fluff young me expected a cloud to have

aroma: some hints of yeast, pine, citrus and, this is weird, but a very slight hint of rubber

palate: very alive, good carbonation, really dry and fills your mouth instantly

flavour: strong tones of grapefruit here, nice hop characters, tones of sweetness like butterscotch or even fudge, thankfully no tones left of rubber

overall: really like what they're trying to achieve here, the dryness is on its own level, the anecdote about their brew cat is kinda cute, good sized bottle and definitely priceworthy

Note: The numbers are actually kind of arbitrary and depending on when you drink it you may reward one beer a higher score in taste than another even if you don't like the taste better. You can try and be consistent but you will probably notice this too after a little while. I put numbers down mostly out of habit and to help myself be a bit more critical. Also helps to identify the really bad ones I tried.

Level 18
Well im really into harder liquor myslef. Infact I usually rate my beer on the price and company work. I mostly drink just two brands becuase one has a rock song contest and the other one supports the brodcasting of the british premier league so i dont have to watch the yokle gay balley thats classified as football here.s

Also lighter drinks fk you up when you mix them with heavier ones.

Gojira2000

G

Gojira2000

I like Blue Moon and Guiness, but I much prefer liquor more than beer....

Level 36
The top-ha... Post reeks of CnP.
- it even smells fresh.

Oh and, well... I guess there's that one we had in Oslo. Can't recall the name, though it's a sure bet you'll pull it up whenever you read this. Anyway, the grass-tasting beer.
Quite exquisite.

Haven't had anything special since then, really. I did have a Steam Beer, sadly I can't recall the name of that one either, such a poor advertiser I am. But then, it was one of those mass-produced bottles anyway.

~ Stay thirsty, my friends.

Gojira2000

G

Gojira2000

Blue Moon is a fake craft or atleast use to be a craft beer....

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Malheur Bière Brut. A pretty good Bière de Champagne. We ordedred it the wrong side of the evening though, I was pretty much drunk already. Did I order the Nøgne Ø #100 before or after? Still one of the better barley wines I've had, even though I prefer it on tap.
The top-ha... Post reeks of CnP.
- it even smells fresh.
Yeah but at least I CnP'd myself. D:
Blue Moon is a fake craft or atleast use to be a craft beer....
Which one? I know a bitter called Blue Moon Bitter. There are shitloads of Blue Moon something from Coors Brewery, e.g. Witbiers, Belgian Pale Ales, there's even a chocolate bacon porter and a peanut butter ale.

Gojira2000

G

Gojira2000

Which one? I know a bitter called Blue Moon Bitter. There are shitloads of Blue Moon something from Coors Brewery, e.g. Witbiers, Belgian Pale Ales, there's even a chocolate bacon porter and a peanut butter ale.

Just the regular belgian white man, thats the only flavor they have at my local grocery store and its the only one i really like anyway, I'm not even sure my wine and spirits store has even more than 3 flavors of blue moon (well i only go there to buy Crown and captain morgan anyway)

Level 23
Hmm.. I remember drinking San Miguel Light, Red Horse and Heineken last year during christmas eve. I didn't like it at first, tasting like really bitter and all but after the first bottle, it tasted better. Had a hint of sweetness in it and when the beer goes does down, it gave that awesome feeling in my throat. (Talking bout heineken here, Red Horse is too strong for me and San Miguel is too.. err... light)

Level 36
"San Miguel Light"? >.>
- Never heard of.

"San Miguel Especial" is pretty good though, and for a long while it was my favorite store beer,
though five days drunk in Barcelona where EVERY(that we went to) bar
ONLY(mostly) had San Miguel, Estrella and some other Spanish beer, kind
of wears out it's savor.

Heineken... Might as well drink water... <.<

These days I mostly prefer a selection of whatever Belgian beer I can acquire from the local liqueur
store, New Castle Brown Ale, kronenbourg 1664, Jacobsen Dark Lager and Nøgne Ø Brun.

Actually, come to think of it, any Nøgne.
- That's a Norwegian brewery for you.

Yeah but at least I CnP'd myself. D:

Yes, and that just makes it all the more pathetic.
- You're more creative than this!

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Yes, and that just makes it all the more pathetic.
- You're more creative than this!
Bleh, I don't see what I should have put down instead. It's actually a pretty solid intro for a forum thread. Sucks donkey to rewrite it just because.

Anyways, Lost Abbey's Serpent's Stout today. Like most Lost Abbey brews this is a cadillac beer. Bottle cost me $25 but it's worth it in the end. 750ml vintage 2013 bottle poured into a tulip.

Builds a redonkulous brown head with some really dark brown lacing. The pour is thick and pitch black. This american double is definitely a looker. The smell is pretty smokey but hides hints of vanilla, mocha coffee and whiskey. Medium carbonation that warms your palate, and a really nice mouth feel, no really strong tones of alcohol that bites you despite the 11.0% ABV. The taste is pretty sweet even though it still maintains the charisma of a crazy heavy imperial stout. Rasins and cocoa that leads into a nice bitter finish reminding you that you're not drinking chocolate milk. Overall it lives up to its reputation really well.

Level 36
The GPA was pretty alright, nothing too fancy or special,
but then I reckon that's what's expected from a mass-production store beer.

Now, friday two days ago I had a Oude Geuze Viekille Belgian Lambic,
probably my first good-tasting lambic, though I've only ever tried one before this.
Fruity and light on the tongue, while still packing a sting of bitter-sweetness, warming aftertaste.
- Overall, pretty sweet.

Now, what can anyone tell me about the pretty pricey Italian Baladin Leön?

~ Handlebar's growing, and tingling.

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I think it's Vieille. So you took on a gueuze? And you liked it? The world is going to be your oyster now. :D

Anyways, Baladin (Birrificio Le Baladin) is a pretty off-beat Italian brewery. I haven't had Leön, but I think it's a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. I would expect crazy sour tones and maybe some smokey bourbon. One thing I can say, Baladin has shocked me every single time I've tried one of their brews. I'll leave you to decide if that's good or bad after you tasted it.

Level 34
I was picking up my friend some Harp tall boys and I perused that section and noticed a Banana Bread Beer. I simply had to try it. The beer itself was acceptable, but the hint of Banana Bread was unmistakable and surprisingly tasty. The aftertaste carried a stronger Banana Bread flavor which was enjoyable.

I won't be buying it again, but I'm glad I tried it.

Edit: Found the beer. http://www.wellsandyoungs.co.uk/home/our-beers/ales/wells-banana-bread-beer

Level 28
I live in Germany.
We have tons and tons of beer brands and their respective beer.
Over the years, I've tried at least 500 different sorts of beer (including mashups like cola + Veltins or whatever), be it from either Germany or France, USA, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Australia, Turkey or even Hong Kong.
Of course I can't remember every single one but if I were to choose regionally, I'd say it might be this brand:
170px-Flasche_Tannenz%C3%A4pfle,_2010.jpg

The brewery isn't too far from my home (about 400km) so it's not that hard to buy it and althought it's more expensive than mass-brands like Beck`s or Krombacher, the variety Rothaus offers greatly matches my tastes.
And I'd rather buy beer of good quality than barrels of cheap wannabe-er (pun).

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I don't see what's so fucking manly about vodka. Almost all domestic vodka is just industrial alcohol mixed with water. Vodka can only be sipped neat or taken as a shot, and even then, it is still kind of for lame babies and teenage girls/boys looking for a quick buzz.

Also what Gilles said.

Direct everything else here http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/off-topic-478/liquor-store-236591/
finally a good thread that is worth to be posted on :)

Personally, I really like to support regional breweries, and luckily I live in an area, that contains lots of good beers :D
Wheeeeeeeere? :D

Roland

R

Roland

You know, The best beer I always drink is this two:

1305738566312.jpg

Ginebra's Miguel beer

san-miguel-beer.gif

San Miguel Pale Pilsen Beer

Roland

R

Roland

My uncle had some drinking trip yesterday so I was 'forced' to taste a bit of what he was drinking. I think what we drank was called San Mig Strong Ice. It wasn't really strong but still a bit tasty.

Ooh! I also Like Tanduay Ice, Cause it still has the greatest taste when you drink it too long but,w the first taste is kinda taste like you're drinking Suka..

Tanduay+Ice+Blue+and+Red.jpg

BUT~! The blue one is the Tastiest of all time!

Roland

R

Roland

Well, I always mix a bit of sugar to give it some taste :3 and Also I'm also eating Burritos this time!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.