• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] Bear Form Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
So I have a small problem.I have a Footman and I want to make it transform into a Dragonspawn Warrior with Bear Form ability. The problem that I am having is that when I click on the building which trains he footman, the map immidieatly crashes.

Note: The map doesnt crash when I click on the unit that can transform. I also have another unit that succesfully transforms into a dragon but this one is a hero and the ability I was using as a template was Flying Form from Druid of the Talon (this ability is also a hero ability with level requirement being 6).

Anyone have a solution?

Level 8
What building trains the footman? Sounds like a portrait issue or something, if it crashes as soon as you select the building.
Barracks. Custom Building but with basic model and portrait from wc3.

The problem doesnt appear on footman only. I have 4 more units with the same ability each trained in diffrent buildings. And when i click on those buildings the game crashes.

It also doesnt show the error screen when it crashes. It just exits the game. Like if you normaly exit the game.

Level 21
So it's the training event that crashes the map?
Pre-placed units can activate said ability without error?

Did you set the transformation ability up correctly?

Level 8
So it's the training event that crashes the map?
Pre-placed units can activate said ability without error?

Did you set the transformation ability up correctly?
just selecting the building crashes the game.
Yes.Preplaced units can activate the ability without error.

Yes I did. Unless there is something more to change. I se the dependency equivalents, the ability alternate and normal unit. If there is something else to change, then I may have forgotten to change it.

Level 21
Does it crash upon selection when you remove all trainable units? - just for testing

Narrow it down, maybe even upgrades/researches are responsible here.

Level 8
Does it crash upon selection when you remove all trainable units? - just for testing

Narrow it down, maybe even upgrades/researches are responsible here.
The building has no researches and upgrades inside it. It is not upgradeable. It can only train these units that have the ability. And it crashes once you select the building. It doesnt show an error message and it doesnt create a crash log.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Please confirm that it does not crash when the building can no longer train those units (removed from trainable list). This is to rule out any problems with the building.

I have encountered such a crash before and it was related to the tech equivalents of one or more units. Basically once the game validates/loads the command card data to train/build an affected unit it will crash. This is why selecting the unit itself does not crash, but selecting a building that can train it does. Bear form and standard unit upgrades are notorious for causing such crashes since in melee play they were designed to have the unit count the same as far as tech requirements go irrespective of which form it is in. For example owning an uprooted ancient of war walking around still counted as you having a rooted ancient of war despite being different unit types.

If it is the units causing the crash then try changing the transform source and result unit to be all the same unit. If it still crashes then maybe something is set incorrectly with that unit. Also possibly try safe, known to work, unit types like bear form. It could be an inconsistency with the result unit with respect to the tech equivalence of the source unit.

Level 8
Please confirm that it does not crash when the building can no longer train those units (removed from trainable list). This is to rule out any problems with the building.

It does not crash when you remove the unit from trainable list.

I have encountered such a crash before and it was related to the tech equivalents of one or more units. Basically once the game validates/loads the command card data to train/build an affected unit it will crash. This is why selecting the unit itself does not crash, but selecting a building that can train it does. Bear form and standard unit upgrades are notorious for causing such crashes since in melee play they were designed to have the unit count the same as far as tech requirements go irrespective of which form it is in. For example owning an uprooted ancient of war walking around still counted as you having a rooted ancient of war despite being different unit types.

If it is the units causing the crash then try changing the transform source and result unit to be all the same unit. If it still crashes then maybe something is set incorrectly with that unit. Also possibly try safe, known to work, unit types like bear form. It could be an inconsistency with the result unit with respect to the tech equivalence of the source unit.

Gonna try that.

Edit: There is one question I have. What is the diffrence between reviving a hero and training one? Since I have a preplaced hero with a bear form ability that doesnt crash the game and the unit can still be revived without crashing the game.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Edit: There is one question I have. What is the diffrence between reviving a hero and training one? Since I have a preplaced hero with a bear form ability that doesnt crash the game and the unit can still be revived without crashing the game.
Different command card information as a guess. Revive just validates the requirements to revive the dead hero which is pretty much the same between all heroes. Training requires it validates the training requirements and generate any tooltip messages associated with them.

Level 8
Different command card information as a guess. Revive just validates the requirements to revive the dead hero which is pretty much the same between all heroes. Training requires it validates the training requirements and generate any tooltip messages associated with them.
So thats why it works on heroes. Doesnt matter I found the problem. XD

Yeah check the Dependency Equivalents, only the Footman should have the Dragonspawn as its Dependency Equivalent but the Dragonspawn shouldn't have the Footman IIRC. Just check the Druid of the Talon to see which one should have which as what.

You were right. The problem was in dependency equivalent. I thought I need to put for both the transformation and the normal unit. Turns out I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.