• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle of Normandy 1.3

208262-albums6109-picture93403.png

After the D-Day, the US forces are struggled in the Norman bocage. They have to face a well-trained German army, ready to push them back to the sea. You control one of these army and have to take control of the Normandy.

About the Map

Kind of Map : Strategy Map

Number of Players : 2-4

Gameplay : You control an army in Normandy and have to fight your opponent in a battlefield with various weapons and tactics.

How to play

Weapons

Generals : You can choose one General at the beginning of the fight who offers different abilities and troops to your army.

Ressources : The armor units are very decisive in a fight. You have to control supply points which provide oil for your troops.

Tactics : Each unit has various abilities and some of them can be upgrade with better weapon. Choose them carefully.

Gameplay

You start at one side of the map and have to gain control over most of the area to earn victory.

Languages: The map supports French and English.

Map Screenshots

Close

Unexpected tab 3

[TD]
208262-albums6109-picture93401.png
[tab=2]
[TD]
208262-albums6109-picture93402.png
[/tab]

Unexpected tab 1

[tab=2]
[/tab]

[/TD]

Credits

Close

Staff

[TD]
Map Maker : purparisien
Terraining : Toby
Uniting : Fingolfin

Models:[r]
[*] Pyramidhe@d [r]
[*] MrBob [r]
[*] OlofMoleman [r]
[*] Fingolfin [r]
[*] StormLegacy [r]
[*] HappyTauren [r]
[*] Nasrudin [r]
[*] Tranquil [r]
[*] Urkdrengi [r]
[*] Communist_Orc [r]
[*] Willthealmighty [r]
[*] Mr.Bob [r]
[*] paulH [r]

Staff

[/TD]
Keywords:
WW2, Normandy, Battle, War, Germany, United-States, Modern, Warfare, Tanks, Infantry, Strategy
Contents

Battle of Normandy 1.3 (Map)

Reviews
13:49, 19th Jan 2015 Orcnet: The concept of this risk genre is quite unique due to its small scale units and considered micro management is at hand throughout the game, the use of WWII based idea and how they all interact as similar to the...

M

13:49, 19th Jan 2015
Orcnet:

[img]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/194715-albums6441-picture75028.png[/img]

The concept of this risk genre is quite unique due to its small scale units and considered micro management is at hand throughout the game, the use of WWII based idea and how they all interact as similar to the real one is fascinating, however the auto attack seems to be on delay, I always end up using the attack button manually, probably because of the base damage or speed being a big strong? anyways it was quite a nice change.

The terrain doesn't much reveal a good layout, although showing a different palette of tileset and resembling the view of a province-like state, it was worth it without any much doodads covering the entire map, somehow I suggest it would be nice if their would be destructible doodads that be destroyed quickly through AoE or upon death scenarios, that could increase game eye-candy-ness.

Overall this map is a good find, recommend for team play, and for those who glady likes WWII games and RISK genres.

Level 1
This is the best war3 modern warfare map id ever seen!!!
ill give this a rating of 5/5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But i thought the battle for omaha is included, but for the map its excelent!!!

Level 25
Some minor stuff:
  • The color code for the suggested players does not work with Reforged anymore.
  • The disabled versions of the unit icons and idle workers are either green or black when pausing the game in single player.
  • After pressing "Assault Company" I got a really strange frame in the middle of the screen when I selected the hero and the hero had one skill point but couldn't skill anything because it requires hero level 2. This is a bit strange in the beginning. Also later when he is level 2 I still cannot skill anything but have 1 skill point and there is the effect on the hero icon. Maybe add 2 skill points at the next level instead? It is a bit confusing.
  • I get Oil from capturing the supply points and less money when I have more soldiers? Is there any income timer which is hidden from the player? Why does not say "Oil per minute" in the tooltip of money? Is it the Oil which is sold? This could be explained a bit better or at least add some quest log entry for it.
  • Entering a building could be the default order when I unit is targeted to a building (smart).
  • AI support would be great but I guess with the custom gameplay it might be too much work.
  • The supply points could be marked with the special minimap icon or at least as neutral buildings.
  • The Warcraft statues look quite strange. I would remove or replace them.
  • There is still a strange glow effect at the rune Doodads you used at the tables.
  • You could add a periodic trigger which updates the camera distance, so I can scroll down without losing my zoom setting.
  • You can walk through/inside buildings which will allow you hiding your infantry units. I would add some collision the buildings as long as they are not destroyed.
  • The missile start position for the M18 looks strange. It should be moved. Maybe for other units, too.
  • Building units are not visible in the fog of war, so the model disappears which looks a bit strange.
  • Emergency Heal of the Ambulance could get a different icon (not hero skills), something with a healing symbol or a red cross.
  • In general I would avoid the Warcraft ability icons which do not fit the custom style of the map.
  • You could add something like "Call Air Support" or "Call Parachutist" and drop units all over the map. Just some random idea to make the battle more interesting.
  • Isn't it a bit unfair to have the bridges only next to the German base? If the other side does always destroy the bridges all the time, don't they cut off the Germans pretty easily from the rest of the map and the income?
  • The formatting of your map description on Hive seems to be broken (the tabs etc.).

I really like the design of the map, the models and the possibilities units have etc. I also love minor details like rebuilding the bridge. The income and upgrade system of the general is a bit confusing in the beginning. Maybe you could add the unit types already like tanks but disabled them with a hidden research which is researched when you upgrade your leader? Then it will be clear what kind of unit types exist in the map from the start.

I would definitely rate 5/5 without the minor stuff.

Another map where you have to land on Omaha Beach would be great, too with some boats etc. taking the beach. I also love minor details like rebuilding the bridge.