• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Tower Defense] Battle.net TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
THIS POST IS OUTDATED, PLEASE SEE: Battle.net TD 1.2 Final /Final project presentation (the attached version is 1.2 Final, yet there might follow a translation which I can't promise to attach here)

Battle.net TD
is basically a very classic Tower Defense, with strict waypoints, lifes, (team-)mazing and a good portion of nostalgia. The goal is to stop confused beings from leaving the Battle.net.
The map features roughly 160 Towers in 6 races and 50 waves. There are many special abilities used by both waves and towers.

Current races are:
-Warcraft Mapper // Builds classic Warcraft Maps as Towers that imitate their archetypes
-Normalo // Builds classic Towers that are included in most classic TD's, e.g. Arrow Tower, Cannon Tower
-Super Magician // Builds very magical Towers of which many cast spells
-Space Invaders // Builds towers from out of space, for example "Major Tom" or Scotty from Star Trek
-Half-life // Builds nearly all weapons from the original Half life as towers, also throwing Snarks and more
-LordTalbot // Builds just about all maps that I started mapping for Warcraft as Towers

The Map has 3 difficulty levels of which the two new (hard) ones are not actually tested yet. Those two settings are supposed for teammazing.

I've been working on a new Version during the last weeks and also had the chance to play it with friends so several new bugs have been revealed and fixed.

Screen 1: (more below)
ib57ffaj.jpg

Why I am here:
I started working on this map in 2014 with the intention to make a very simple map which I could at least easily play with my friends, knowing that the battle.net wasn't very good anymore to start games with random people from the internet.
My map however grew and grew and I added little things once in a while.

Now I am in a bit of a twisted situation, my TD is completly in german but I now have the feeling that it reached a point where it actually became quite a good TD and I wondered if there are still some people out here or somewhere, that care for new TD's. Maybe you can tell me what you think about the whole thing. The map benefits from many entertaining tooltips, which is the main reason why I didn't translate it yet.
-Are you interested in playing this?
-Would you be interested if it was fully translated?
-Or do you think there are people that are interested in this, or do you know any? xD

Version 1.1a
-New Race: Space Invaders // Most towers of this race are also showing DPS values in their tooltips, I will probably update this for all towers in relation to my questions above
-2 additional difficulty levels
-Added ability "Fokus" to all builders, makes all your towers focus the chosen enemy
-upgraded terrain
-reworked damage-efficacy vs armortypes and updated nearly all tower tooltips to show the damagetype
-damagetypes and armortypes show percental efficiacy information
-Race "Normalo" changed balancing of several Towers significantly
-Race "Supermagier": Reworked the meleemage and changed the balancing and triggering of several Towers
-Race "Warcraft Mapper": added new Tower "Illidans 7"

Known Bugs:
-Wave 26: Sometimes the game doesn't recognize that this wave died and won't send wave 27
Typing -debug should help. if not, wait until all corpses disappeared and try -debug again

-If the only active players are last defenders the game will get stuck at boss waves (I'll fix that)

-There might be severe bugs on the last two or especially the last wave, which is because of a triggered event. I am not entirely sure if that is fixed but I didn't see it happen in a while.

Screen above is outdated but from a multiplayer game.

It might be tough playing alone, use the unit waypoints for your maze. Bosses were not meant to be defeated alone in the first place but you CAN do it.
"-gold" gives you 1000 gold and "-kill" kills all units of the current wave and starts the next one// both commands only work for player 1 red, they are only meant for testing purposes

The map is not protected at all in this version and for this place.

If you test this one way or another, I would be very thankful for your feedback ;)

Thank you!

Attachments

• Battle.net TD 1.2 Final.w3x
    4.8 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Level 4
I have just recommended the current version for makemehost.com, I will reply here again if they put it up. The version which is suggested for makemehost.com is protected (dunno why exactly, but I did it).

p.s. You can't host, or you dont like it? :O

Level 4
One more thing, I have updated the mappreview for 1.1a but didn't do so for the loadscreen yet actually, mainly because I still have a lot in mind to bring into the map right now and would then make a nice new loadscreen for the next vers.

Level 4
Nice, I already had the chance to test the above version with friends and actually made quite some changes since then again. Since you use MMH it's though probably no good idea to ask them to upload the newer version already. In a few weeks the latest I should have a version that includes my current plans and maybe things from your recommendations.

In my new version (not the one above) the first wave spawns 30 secs after everyone chose a race, in the version on MMH it's still 45 seconds after GAMESTART

hf

Level 12
I played it with a bunch of friends and we had a pretty good time! I liked how unique the towers were. Though I had complaints. The last spawns don't really get to have any kills. It got boring for them and of course te german is not always easy to understand, even if i got a basic understanding of it :p

Level 4
nice to hear that you had fun. But there were no problems with the last spawns I guess (?). They should get half spawns, i'm not aware of problems with that, though that alone certainly doesn't keep one busy all along the 50 waves. Maybe you can try it on another difficulty so that they have to deal with more leaks? I just can't put full spawns for the last defenders that negates the whole purpose.

How about you test it again in my next version? I promise a lot of updates. I can leave a message here or PM you if it's done.

You are the only one who replied to this topic, so it doesn't seem to make sense to translate it ;)

Level 4
thanks for your reply here
I might copy all units, abilities and triggered textmessages and then allow to chose between the languages. Either for each player, or for the whole round.

However, thats about 50 wavenames, 210 towers, 300 abilites (probably 150-200 have to be translated, the rest doesn't show to the player) + triggered messages. You might know that the object editor takes like 10 seconds to save unit-tooltips, and again about the same time for names.
All of the above things have to be done in any case when I do a translation.

Well, if I include both languages It will even take some more time, but that should be worth it.

I will start the translation and then decide if I can pull it through. The hype about this map is quite small and I really wanted to be done with it (meanwhile I noticed that my first versions are from 2012)

p.s. I read your rep-message, yet my internet connection is damaged which is why it took me so long to reply. I can't put english and german tooltip into ONE tooltip because that would be way to much for most tooltips and would, even if possible, be very ugly ;) I'm not entirely sure however if that is what you meant (in your rep).

Level 6
That is what I meant :p I haven't seen your tooltips, but I've seen abilities and such that have ~30 lines of text lol. Maybe separate the languages by color, something like:

This ability does this and that and whatnot and it is a really cool ability. You should use it on enemies, not your friends, that would be a bad idea. Using this ability does:
- Lots and lots of damage
- More damage
- #### enemies instantly die​

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Euch de few me quan chi ti vet. Dos en to des enema, no fe sen, es tard fsa dbas da.
Escha lma didta fa:
- Tink y tink d dma
- Etg nf dma
- #### enema duda de​

(note, not an actual language, just random crap thrown together lol)

EDIT: Also, the naming structure.
Example:
Acolyte/Acólito​

Level 4
I'm not afraid that the languages can not be separated to well, I'm just afraid that it's really "freaking" ugly and takes to much place on screen :p I would then have 2 languages, but both beeing ugly. I rather keep the original content and add translated versions for everything. Yet not everything can be translated in a meaningful way and not every tooltip is meaningful in the first place, if the first of these two things applies, i'll make that clear though, as I don't shrink back from spamming explanations all over the place (you might have noticed already :DD)

Also copying and translating isn't so much more effort compared to that. I think your example could be a solution if the names and tooltips are always short, but I can't imagine it for my map at all. If anything I go for completly copied content.

Also, there is a charackterlimit for tooltips, but I'm not going to find out if i hit it somewhere

Level 6
I'd be interested in knowing the character limit. Anyways, the main concern from me would be the map size. It nearly doubles :O
However, that's not a huge issue anymore (goodbye 8MB maps!)

Anyways, do what you will :p And have you heard from a moderator yet? Maybe it would be accepted as is!

Level 4
my map has been set to "awaiting update" and is not visible in the mapsection anymore :(

The mapsize is no problem, most of the size comes from imported files. I don't know exactly how this works however... i've just added up the total size of my imported files and had a sum of rougly 6 mb, which is obv more than my total mapsize, so it appears to be compressed in a way.

However, it's sad that it can't be downloaded anymore because I'd say it's at least still playable if you don't speak german. would have been nice if it stayed available to see and to download until I can eventually bring a translated version

the thing is... the german warcraftmap-community is dead ofc

Level 4
Well, have a look at the maps section. My map was one of the first maps in the line there until yesterday. Now suddenly it's gone ( neither appears on page 2 or 3)
You can only still see it if you have the link

Or that action moved it totally to the end, which is pretty much like not having it listed

Status
Not open for further replies.