• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Balancing Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I would like to know if the community would discuss about balancing a hero based map, I mean, heros that base their damage into spells will eventually become less powerful than hero based in attack damage, Agi heros will eventually become more powerfull than Str heros, that will become more powerfull than int heros, that will loose to both sides...

So, what are the basics ideas? Give spell based heros high stats grown? Lower hp from agi heros and just give them armor? Any hero can just obtain as much as str they can and they will be better than other heros that obtained their primary stats. (Ingame verified).

I think the best way to balance the heros is to make them rock-paper-scissor style, Its the most efficient way to balance something, but also makes the player less likely to play with heros they like, because someone can just choose a hero that will over it.

Discuss ^^

Level 12
i guess u can also play with armor type and att if u want a rock-paper-scissor style. ie; instead of having hero dam change it to spell, norm and pierce and give the armor med, light and heavy respectively.
I think this idea should never be used under any circumstances...
Expect if you are using heros as normal units with level and spells.

Level 2
what about baseing ur abilitys by the stats they have , so more int stronger spells. which would make it even.

also make it so its hard to get armor that way they need to much agi to get rigged.

Level 11
In many hero based maps, such as DotA, it is kind of up to the player to balance the hero out a little bit. For example if you are an Int base hero and get no items that increase your hp, then you are doomed (at least i am :p). So my suggestion would be to make a good variety of items as well as making the heroes pretty balanced. Give most of the Int based heroes some sort of slowing or stunning spell and maybe good move speed or an escape ablilty like ww. Make str heroes have good atk, hp, but slower move speed and atk speed. You might think about what similar properties are worth compared to each other as well, like armor vs hp and atk vs atk speed. Like if you gave a hero 3 more armor than most other heroes, you might take some hp away.

Level 2
items are fine but tomes will prob become the main thing lategame thus theses items will be crap in the end. otherwise i would have suggested what u said.

Level 2
I think the best way to scale heroes in wc3 is to use the built in system at an absolute minimum, and instead create your own scaling system.

What I'm planning to do for hero scaling in a project I'm working on is make attack an ability instead of a command, so you must use it manually (also plan on adding parry, which has aspects increased by stats). I realize this isn't practical for most maps, but I'm basically making it so that the heroes don't get any bonus damage from their main attribute, or any other extra benefits from attributes; instead, each attribute benefits certain aspects of spells and abilities differently. For instance, a coefficient of a hero's Agi would increase damage and other aspects of certain physical attacks, whereas scaling of spells would be increased by a coefficient of Int.

Benefits such as Max HP, along with other things such as Max Mana, Mana Regen, Attack Speed, Armor, the number of units you can control, extra passive abilities, auras, or anything else would be chooseable through a separate menu, and leveling would give a certain amount of points to spend on these benefits as the player sees fit. They could then be set up in such a way that players cannot just max one or two of them, but must spread them around to some degree. Restrictions can also be placed on benefits based on the hero type or class picked.

The end result, if benefits and abilities are balanced well enough, is tons of diversity/customization in hero builds and roles they play, without letting any one build or hero type become grossly more powerful than another.

Status
Not open for further replies.